New tyres for Honda CRV

lelapin

I am about to buy 4 new tyres for my Honda CRV. I am looking for a cheap solution as I don’t do many klms a year or drive much on motorways. I was offered today in Pattaya, suitable size 18 Westlake and Maxxi tyres for just over 3000 baht each. Dunlop are asking about 5400 baht. I was wondering if any informed reader has any opinion on these particular makes.

11 minutes ago, lelapin said:

235/60 R18?

I see..those Westlake and Maxxi tires are decent, mid-level tyres.

Dunlop and Michelin are some of the highest rated tires you can buy, thus the high price. Michelin's are very durable and long lasting. Dunlops have softer rubber, very good performance, such as traction and braking. 

The Dunlops would certainly be better but the Westlake's and Maxxi's will be fine if you're on a budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

235/60 R18?

I see..those Westlake and Maxxi tires are decent, mid-level tyres.

Dunlop and Michelin are some of the highest rated tires you can buy, thus the high price. Michelin's are very durable and long lasting. Dunlops have softer rubber, very good performance, such as traction and braking. 

The Dunlops would certainly be better but the Westlake's and Maxxi's will be fine if you're on a budget.

What about Bridgestone. I see several shops in Pattaya supplying those.

7 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Bridgestone are definitely premium tyres. I will say almost every brand does have entry level tyres, so you probably should look at the reviews before buying. I once bought some entry level Michelin's and they weren't very good. I let the salesman talk me into it without bothering to look at the reviews. So yeah, be careful what they try to sell you as it can sound like a great deal then you get home and realize you spent 15,000 baht on entry level pieces of crap. 

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, lelapin said:

Just stick with the Maxxis deal. Mrs NL put a new set on her CRV, I recall ~12,000 for all four fitted, balanced , etc.. This was in Pattaya, out the dark side on the Siam Country Club road. But any rubber shop with a big Maxxis sign will cut you a similar deal.

• Like 1

We have two Honda CRVs both have Maxxis tires all round on them, no trouble and no concerns with them ever.

Replaced two on the front of one of them after quite a  few years and many miles a couple of weeks back, at the Maxxis place on Sukhumvit just South of Pattaya   (southbound carriageway)  B3100 each, if you buy four price drops a little.

Maxxis has manufacturing plants in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, the United States, the Netherlands, and India. The tires made in these plants are shipped to over 180 countries all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

We have two Honda CRVs both have Maxxis tires all round on them, no trouble and no concerns with them ever.

Replaced two on the front of one of them after quite a  few years and many miles a couple of weeks back, at the Maxxis place on Sukhumvit just South of Pattaya   (southbound carriageway)  B3100 each, if you buy four price drops a little.

Maxxis has manufacturing plants in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, the United States, the Netherlands, and India. The tires made in these plants are shipped to over 180 countries all over the world.

Do you know what model of Maxxi tyres you got?