Sick of cleaning the floor.

Will B Good

We spend (waste) about two person-hours every morning, cleaning 250 sq m of floor tiles...... could always get a maid I guess.

Can anyone recommend a...........

1. Robot brush

2. Robot mop 

3. or a combo of 1 and 2.

I looked on Lazada, some brushes are incredibly cheap, but decent mops that look like they actually work are quite expensive.

Thanks in advance for sensible answers

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the last years I looked at some of the reviews on YouTube of those things. 

They are getting better and better, and I would consider buying one.

But the best of them use cameras and a permanent internet connection to be able to work as good as they do. And that is a reason for me not to buy one. I don't want a moving camera with unknown access in my home.

I guess that "feature" will be eliminated in the next years. Let's see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

EVERY day? Good grief, you must be very dirty people.

I vacuum out our 2-storey place once a year, in the couple of cooler weeks in Dec/Jan. (As for my b/f doing the job, he wouldn't think of it. That's women's work.)

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Makes me wonder how dirty a floor can get during the night with no one walking over it.  Maybe an army of marines came in during the night.  Clean it once a week.

I think a lot depends on local conditions,our home is north facing and every morning the front garden always has leaves and plastic litter blown in overnight. When cleaning the area with garden hose the water turns red from the accumulated dust,this dust also finds it's way into the house necessitating cleaning every day.

We are in a populated area no farm land an amphur of bangkok

I have a Eufy G10 robot vac. I'm happy with it, but I only use it upstairs. I use the vacuum daily and mop weekly. It's fine for picking up the dog fur and keeping the dust down. The mop also helps with the dust and can cope with occasional light paw prints. I used to have a Roomba, but the prices here are ridiculous. In terms of cleaning, I'd say they are the same, but the Roomba was much better at mapping awkward shapes/areas. 

I wouldn't bother with a robot vac downstairs, especially not the mopping. It would be useless for mopping in a kitchen with grease or muddy footprints. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We have acres of tiled floors, but the answer is to have two maids to do the work, that way you get two extra hours to sit on your arse, instead of swabbing floors. The floors are, in my opinion, washed way too much, ie every day.

British people though are filthy, and I didn't even notice it when I lived there. All those horrible old dirty carpets collecting god knows what vile bacteria, dog hair, dog ear wax, anal wipings and Christ know's what? I wouldn't walk on a carpet in a British home now in bare feet. I'd want a pair of stout boots or I'd have cooties on my beautiful feet in no time. Same in America. Yuck.

I think sweeping tiled floors once a day and swabbing once or twice a week. Gardens are much the same as floors, leave it to the professionals I say. Get gardeners in. What is the point in retiring in Thailand and doing housework and gardening yourself when labour is so cheap?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Makes me wonder how dirty a floor can get during the night with no one walking over it.  Maybe an army of marines came in during the night.  Clean it once a week.

There's plenty of dust / smoke stuff 24/7, everywhere in Thailand.

My MIL installed brush strips on the bottom of all doors and had similar installed at all windows. 

It did cut the level of dust / whatever on the floors each morning quite a lot. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Morch said:

OP, does your house actually get very dusty overnight? Or is the reason for having to clean it so often have to do with allergies? A bit of OCD on the Mrs's part?

Live in Isaan.....constant ingress of flies and bugs of every description.....if you don't clean, the ants march in and you have a real battle on your hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, retarius said:

We have acres of tiled floors, but the answer is to have two maids to do the work, that way you get two extra hours to sit on your arse, instead of swabbing floors. The floors are, in my opinion, washed way too much, ie every day.

British people though are filthy, and I didn't even notice it when I lived there. All those horrible old dirty carpets collecting god knows what vile bacteria, dog hair, dog ear wax, anal wipings and Christ know's what? I wouldn't walk on a carpet in a British home now in bare feet. I'd want a pair of stout boots or I'd have cooties on my beautiful feet in no time. Same in America. Yuck.

I think sweeping tiled floors once a day and swabbing once or twice a week. Gardens are much the same as floors, leave it to the professionals I say. Get gardeners in. What is the point in retiring in Thailand and doing housework and gardening yourself when labour is so cheap?

Exactly.....I was thinking a couple of young, healthy looking Thai/Myanmar girls could do a sterling job.

• Haha 1

I also live in Isaan. Can't ever recall seeing a fly. Forget the name but very effective ant rid available. Small tube, only need a few drops here & there. Available BigC & most other grocery shops. All windows & doors screened. I vacuum & thorough mop once a week. Don't mean to be a smartie, but if you remove all sources of food, attraction for ants they have no reason to visit.

4 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I also live in Isaan. Can't ever recall seeing a fly. Forget the name but very effective ant rid available. Small tube, only need a few drops here & there. Available BigC & most other grocery shops. All windows & doors screened. I vacuum & thorough mop once a week. Don't mean to be a smartie, but if you remove all sources of food, attraction for ants they have no reason to visit.

I have no idea where it/they all come(s) from......the dog might be the culprit?.....But you only have to blink and there's another dead creepy-crawly on the floor being consumed by something.

23 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I appreciate many on here will not have a clue how the floor cleans itself.....please feel free to ask the wife......555

Two hours everyday? Are you walking around in muddy boots .Or just too good to be true? Will B Good.😉