Absinthe

thedude

Every time i ask for absinthe i get the other anise based drinks like Pernod or Ricard. I'm looking for the real Parisian or Bohemian variety, with original recipe that includes wormwood, and at least 68% alcohol. Is the green fairy available in Thailand?

Every time i ask for absinthe i get the other anise based drinks like Pernod or Ricard. I'm looking for the real Parisian or Bohemian variety, with original recipe that includes wormwood, and at least 68% alcohol. Is the green fairy available in Thailand?

Simply put.. not a chance....

I have looked myself all over the place and it simply isn't available... the only way I managed to get some was a friend bringing it over from Prague..

Maybe if you ask for some local Moonshine you may have more luck and similar drinking results...

Given the rabid rantings that go on whenever narcotics are mentioned on this website, I’m surprised that Absinth sneaks under the radar, it is an hallucinogen, worse in many respects than many of the drugs TV members like to berate.

Absinth is freely available in Italy but ask around and you’ll soon hear warnings against its use. I have one friend who tells me that his brother had serious psychological problems after only one drunken night on the ‘Little Green Fairy’.

My own experience was that Absinth really does mess with your head, not just after drinking the stuff, but for weeks afterwards.

I would strongly advise that your treat the stuff with caution.

Absinthe is widely available in Prague and also Amsterdam. As far as in Thailand, there was an Australian bar on Koh Pangan that served it when I was their about 2 years ago.Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place, but it was on the main strip. Good luck, I've always enjoyed the stuff and am still somewhat sane. :o

Absinthe is class. I've had some awsome nights on it.

reminds me of an abolute great french movie about imagination travel while under influence of alcohol. It is "un singe en hivers"

they did not drink absinthe, as far as I remember, but it seems they had awsome nights too !

i understand laws against it have been completely repealed in Europe over the last 2 or 3 years, including in france and switzerland, although it is still illegal to produce it in the US. there is no scientific evidence to support claims that is has psychoactive effects. does anyone know if it is at all illegal to import and sell absinthe in Thailand?

Edited by thedude

Dunno if you are interested or not but there is a spirit 'essence' that you can buy to add to a base spirit that I sell in Oz (I own a home brew shop), that makes Absinthe. I have tasted it against commercially bought product and its pretty close. It has the characteristic green colour and slightly peppery aftertaste from the wormword. PM me if you want any more info..

Given the rabid rantings that go on whenever narcotics are mentioned on this website, I’m surprised that Absinth sneaks under the radar, it is an hallucinogen, worse in many respects than many of the drugs TV members like to berate.

Absinthe is freely available in Italy but ask around and you’ll soon hear warnings against its use. I have one friend who tells me that his brother had serious psychological problems after only one drunken night on the ‘Little Green Fairy’.

My own experience was that Absinth really does mess with your head, not just after drinking the stuff, but for weeks afterwards.

I would strongly advise that your treat the stuff with caution.

it is just an indicator of how well informed the rabidly anti-drug gang are. They think its just booze so their hackles don't rise on cue.

and it is available as stated above.

• 2 weeks later...