Where can I buy an African Grey or Indian Ringneck in Chiang mai?

Keirachiangmai

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

No but I can see endless possibilities for silly puns.

As can I. 

But, try asking here: 

Ban Mha Ka Maew Animal Hospital Address: 255 10-12 Mahidol Rd, Pa Daet Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50100

• Thumbs Up 1

@Keirachiangmaitry searching in google with the thai name
for example "buy african gray chiang Mai" - ซื้อ นกแอฟริกันเกรย์ เชียงใหม่

Here is one result, translated to english (says they have what you're looking for)
https://petz--world--chiang--mai-business-site.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=th&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

good luck

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

You sure about that? Parrots are EXTREMELY noisy and earpiercingly loud. Your neighbors will hate you in no time. Parrots require high quality food, which usually is expensive and I'm not even sure you can get that in Thailand. They're extremely messy eaters, which means 90% of their expensive food lands on the floor and goes to waste. They need a lot of stimulation and toys to keep them happy. The toys are expensive and don't last long. And while they're fun when they're juveniles, a lot of them get nasty when they become adults and they can do some serious damage when they bite. Also, if you ever have to inject them with medication they're gonna hate you for like 6 months afterwards. Parrots are OK if you have the money, no immediate neighbors and if can give them the attention they need. If you don't fulfill these requirements then please get another species of bird! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Be very careful buying expensive parrots here. A high percentage of them are infected with PBFD or Psittacosis. It is very expensive to get them tested at a special lab at the CMU School of Veterinary Medicine. A reputable breeder will provide a certificate the birds have been tested for a number of ailments (which of course raises the cost of the parrots considerably).

• Like 1

The grey is an endangered species, so I would be careful, although beautiful birds, who can mimic what you say flawlessly, and wonderful pets, I would go with the ringneck, and forget about what others are saying about high maintenance, they really are both lovely pets, to be loved and cherished.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, pacovl46 said:

You sure about that? Parrots are EXTREMELY noisy and earpiercingly loud. Your neighbors will hate you in no time. Parrots require high quality food, which usually is expensive and I'm not even sure you can get that in Thailand. They're extremely messy eaters, which means 90% of their expensive food lands on the floor and goes to waste. They need a lot of stimulation and toys to keep them happy. The toys are expensive and don't last long. And while they're fun when they're juveniles, a lot of them get nasty when they become adults and they can do some serious damage when they bite. Also, if you ever have to inject them with medication they're gonna hate you for like 6 months afterwards. Parrots are OK if you have the money, no immediate neighbors and if can give them the attention they need. If you don't fulfill these requirements then please get another species of bird! 

How's about Cockatiel...?

On 10/27/2023 at 12:50 PM, tkramer said:

How's about Cockatiel...?

Don't know about those. I have my parrot knowledge only because of a guy who has some and talks about them on his YouTube channel. They're cool animals and some of them can learn to speak, but they have special needs that need to be met otherwise they feel bad and get nasty. 

If you really want a bird I would just google which bird species are best suited to be kept as pets or search for videos about that on youtube, single out the species that appeal to you the most and then watch lots of videos on youtube about how to care for them and their characteristics and eventually you'll find something that's good for you! 

Having said that, what a lot of bird keepers neglect is that the species they keep usually fly I don't know how many kilometers a day in the wild. If you want to keep your bird in a cage then this is literally like prison for them. It would be better to get a smaller bird that you might be able to let fly around the house  or if you have a large garden build a big enclosure for them with a special met and poles or a dome like structure. That would be perfect because then you could keep a group of them, plant some plants and small tress in the cage and they could fly around in it. 

Edited by pacovl46

"Having said that, what a lot of bird keepers neglect is that the species they keep usually fly I don't know how many kilometers a day in the wild. If you want to keep your bird in a cage then this is literally like prison for them"

So true. However, the ones you go to purchase are already in a cage and maybe even born in captivity (I don't know).

I've seen them at Chatuchak Market in small cages with 10-20 others in the same cage. 

Thanks