Last month in the Consular team #4

Hello everyone.

Apologies to all readers that this month’s contribution from the Consular Section is brief. The main reason for this is because I have been deployed to the Middle East to assist with the on-going situation there. My main priority will be to work alongside my colleagues based in the region to  ensure that  British Nationals  who require consular assistance are helped. It is quite normal for consular staff from all around the world to be deployed at short notice to other parts of the world to assist when a situation occurs.  Earlier this year two team members flew to Jeddah to assist with the situation in Sudan.  When situations like these arise, Embassies and High Commissions reach out to British Nationals through the specific Travel Advice for the country they are in,  if they have to give important messaging. This is why it is important that all you all sign up to our Travel Advice so that you can receive up-dates as situations unfold. You will all be aware of the incident which happened at the beginning of October at Siam Paragon Shopping Mall. Luckily the incident did not take place over a significant amount of time. If it had done so,  we would have up-dated our travel advice to warn British Nationals of the situation and advising them not to go to the area.

Please do therefore sign up to our advice  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/Thailand

Last but not least, here's a quick update on operation at the Embassy. In September, the number of British travellers entering Thailand decreased from 62,781 in August to 47,616.

During this time, we issued 28 Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) and offered 135 documentary services, which included 111 affirmations of marriage. But that's not all – we also managed 106 urgent assistance cases, including arrests and detentions, welfare support, and hospitalisations for various reasons. We extended support to a total of 43 families following the loss of their loved one, which involved a mix of hospital deaths and natural deaths.

Joanne Finnamore-Crorkin HM Consul, British Embassy Bangkok

• Like 1

Joanne

Thank you for finding the time to update us about matters in Thailand even though you are working hard on pressing issues in the Middle East. On behalf of the British Nationals in Thailand it is much appreciated.

Best wishes to yourself and your staff. I hope your deployment goes as well as it can in the circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1