90 day reporting not necessary when here on marriage extension?

Hi

I entered Thailand on a 30 days visa exemption, then got a 60 day extension to visit my wife and now I've applied for the 3 months non-imm O visa based on marriage. In a few days I will have been here for 90 days but the immigration officer at CW said that I didn't need to do a 90 day report yet. She said that I only need to do it when I've got my 1 year extension (marriage). I asked her twice to confirm and she did, very confidently. 

Is this correct? If so, am I supposed to do it 90 days after I've received the 1 year marriage extension? 

You were given correct information. As with many immigration related matters, implementation can be confusing, but I guess they have concluded that, when you are in direct communication with the immigration office, you are already confirming your current address and a 90-day report would be superfluous.

Okay here's how that works out, The officer is 100% correct, you do not 90 day report..

you have to be ON a visa/extension for the same reason at least 90 days.

Coming in visa exempt was 30, <- as a tourist, then you changed reasons and got a 60 day visit thai family extension, you don't add those days together as they were for different reasons.. Then you got a 90 day Non-O visa <- but that visa doesn't let you stay IN thailand long enough on it's own to do a 90 day report.

When you get the first yearly extension, they will put a small paper in your passport telling you WHEN you file your first 90 day report <- and it will be 90 days AFTER the date you apply for the first yearly extension

The paper looks like this

Could contain:

• Thanks 2

You're only required to submit a 90-day report when being granted permission of stay for longer than 90 consecutive days. (1 year extension).

Your first extension was for 60 days, and you informed your address on the TM7 as part of the process.
Similarly, when you applied for Non O, you notified your address on the TM87.

When the Non O is granted, you'll be given a further 90 day permission of stay, but before the end of that 90 days you'll apply for the 1-year extension of stay using a TM7, again notifying your address.
When that 1 year extension is approved, you'll be granted permission of stay for 365 days, which will be the first time you've been granted permission of stay for more than 90 consecutive days.
At that stage, when receiving the 1-year permission of stay stamp, the IO will also issue a receipt stapled in the back of your passport notifying when your first 90-day report will be due.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay here's how that works out, The officer is 100% correct, you do not 90 day report..

you have to be ON a visa/extension for the same reason at least 90 days.

Coming in visa exempt was 30, <- as a tourist, then you changed reasons and got a 60 day visit thai family extension, you don't add those days together as they were for different reasons.. Then you got a 90 day Non-O visa <- but that visa doesn't let you stay IN thailand long enough on it's own to do a 90 day report.

When you get the first yearly extension, they will put a small paper in your passport telling you WHEN you file your first 90 day report <- and it will be 90 days AFTER the date you apply for the first yearly extension

The paper looks like this

Could contain:

@TPDHThis is 100% correct, at least at CW (as the attached image illustrates).

Friend of mine went through the same process less than a year ago, when I inquired at the time, they informed him that they would affix a "90 day reporting notification" when he successfully got his annual extension - it played out as they said and he got the same thing stapled into his passport.

No need to be concerned. Good luck on your extension.

Edited by expat_4_life

13 hours ago, TPDH said:

If so, am I supposed to do it 90 days after I've received the 1 year marriage extension? 

Depends how happy the marriage is.  If you want to get out of the marriage dont do the 90 day report and you wont see much of your wife afterwards except maybe visiting hours.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Depends how happy the marriage is.  If you want to get out of the marriage dont do the 90 day report and you wont see much of your wife afterwards except maybe visiting hours.

A failure to do 90-day reports is punished with a fine. Even if an official is incensed at your failure to report, they cannot lock you up for it.