Looking For Knowledgeable Auto Mechanic For old Car

bhatmasterson

7 minutes ago, novacova said:

Not trying to send you on a wild goose chase, though a faulty alternator could be the culprit. Run the engine and turn on the headlights and have someone rev the engine while you’re looking at the headlights. If the headlights brighten when the engine revs up then the alternator is the problem. If you have a voltage meter, check the battery voltage with engine off, voltage should be ~12 volts. Then check again with engine running. The voltage should increase to ~14 volts with engine running.

The battery wasn't holding a charge 2 months ago. So before replacing the battery I wanted to check the alternator. I did as you suggested. Started the car, removed the terminals and the car kept running. However, I did not know about the lights brightening up when the engine revs. Will check this today. Thanks

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Both of the above posts sound reasonable to me. Does the AC actually work when you turn it on?

It sounds like you may know little or nothing about making repairs. If that is the case, take it to a Ford dealer, have the oil changed, and ask them to check the AC. They should be able to tell you what's wrong and give you a price.

AC Compressors and other parts are expensive. Do not buy used or have one rebuilt. 

I may have to do this. I had the oil changed about 2 months ago so will hold off a while on this one. 

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Their is a component that automatically raises the idle speed whenever the AC compressor  comes on. The mechanic mentioned engine idle so maybe that is what he means? If they don't make that component any more maybe join an owners club forum and ask if any other compatible ones are available. 

Okay. Thanks

Just now, charleskerins said:

a 1997 ford seems like it did very well so far.

You are right! It has performed very well. Which is one reason I don't plan on getting rid of it. It was the first car I could afford to buy when I arrived here many years ago. It also has sentimental value to me and my wife. We took it to Kalasin years ago which was a memorable adventure for us. Besides, as I mentioned, it looks good. I keep it up as best I can. Always clean and ready to go. However, It's not our only vehicle so I'm not desperate. I just like my things kept up well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looking For Knowledgeable Auto Mechanic For old Car

not only that I'm an old mechanic :giggle: passed my UK finals in 1970 😱 and have an Australian registration number.

Old mechanics never die they just loose their bearings, and sometimes or tinker with their nuts. :cheesy:

I can recommend a good old school truatworthy mechanic on dark side of Pattaya. I could tell he was honest. Sukhumvit rd mechanics are charging high for unnecessary work. They wanted to replace compressor at 10,000 baht but Instead new guy said no need. 2000 baht to replace clutch only.

PM me if dark side pattaya is convenient for you and I'll look up details for you.

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

When it came out I wasn’t very keen on it, too square. But it’s growing on me. I have the one before, 2.0 Biturbo. 

Yeah ,grew on me as well. I liked the retro Mustang taillights from the get.

I liked Gens 1, 3 & 4. 

Almost bought a gen 1 back in '05...

I've had a number of Fords, and they've all been good to me. I've not owned one in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah ,grew on me as well. I liked the retro Mustang taillights from the get.

I liked Gens 1, 3 & 4. 

Almost bought a gen 1 back in '05...

I've had a number of Fords, and they've all been good to me. I've not owned one in Thailand. 

Had 5    1 terrible    the rest very good

On 10/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, Yellowtail said:

If low idle is causing the vibration, the vibration should stop when you give it a bit of throttle. Is this the case? 

Does the air conditioner actually get cold when you turn it one. 

Yes. That's the case. Air-con works well.

• 2 months later...