Looking For Knowledgeable Auto Mechanic For old Car

bhatmasterson

My beloved 1997 Ford Aspire looks great and runs great except for when I turn on the air-con. It starts to vibrate as soon as I turn it on. Vibration stops when accelerating but starts again when stopped at a light.  One mechanic said it's the "idle engine", which is not made for this car any longer.  Another said he could modify so it works correctly and another said it would be best to change the engine. Several have looked but so far no solution. I'm certainly not going to change the engine. So, I need a mechanic who knows old Fords. I won't be going to Pro Auto or to Jimmy on the Ring Road. I've been here for more than 17 years, seen a lot of shops and am not looking to go broke with those guys. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Check compressor mounting hardware for fixings tightness. Does the A/C work OK, when did you last have the gas and oil evacuated and changed...?

I maybe wrong, but I think your compressor maybe the old piston type, how many miles/Km has the car done...?

Both of the above posts sound reasonable to me. Does the AC actually work when you turn it on?

It sounds like you may know little or nothing about making repairs. If that is the case, take it to a Ford dealer, have the oil changed, and ask them to check the AC. They should be able to tell you what's wrong and give you a price.

AC Compressors and other parts are expensive. Do not buy used or have one rebuilt. 

15 minutes ago, Pond Life said:

All of the above comments have merit.

Coming at it from a different direction, is your idle a bit low ? if so, the added load of the A/C could be sending it lower still so it cant run smoothly.

If this is a fuel injection engine, removing & thoroughly cleaning the throttle body may well improve thing.

If its a carbureter fuel system, a tweek to the idle screw should answer the question.

Easy first check I’d do.

Their is a component that automatically raises the idle speed whenever the AC compressor  comes on. The mechanic mentioned engine idle so maybe that is what he means? If they don't make that component any more maybe join an owners club forum and ask if any other compatible ones are available. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pond Life said:

All of the above comments have merit.

Coming at it from a different direction, is your idle a bit low ? if so, the added load of the A/C could be sending it lower still so it cant run smoothly.

If this is a fuel injection engine, removing & thoroughly cleaning the throttle body may well improve thing.

If its a carbureter fuel system, a tweek to the idle screw should answer the question.

I have to agree but I'm pretty sure 1997 would be fuel injected, maybe what they were telling him about "idle motor" means Idle air control motor (I.A.C.) and when the compressor comes on it's not raising the idle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pond Life said:

Yes there are throttle body cleaner available in aerosols too,

But before going into further details as said; is it a carburetor?

Or fuel injected?. with that info advice on the fix could be more informative. 

Ok I have done the search it is fuel injected. take the whole throttle body off and give it a good clean, you could just spray some throttle body cleaner down with the engine running, it is normally a build up of soot on the butterfly, if cleaning doesn't work then it could be one of the electric sensors not working, they can be tested with a multi meter, except for one type. 

Edit; the sensors are very similar on most cars and can be found on Lazada. One little test is with the engine idling no A/C when you turn on headlights do the revs drop. What is common the auto choke will not close completely so on idle it is choking slightly. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, novacova said:

It may be the a/c compressor causing the vibration, check the belt. Possibly corrosion in the clutch pulley, spray teflon lubricant on the clutch pulley.

Thanks! I had the compressor replaced approximately 18 months ago. But will check the clutch pully for corrosion. Is the Teflon spray locally available?

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Ok I have done the search it is fuel injected. take the whole throttle body off and give it a good clean, you could just spray some throttle body cleaner down with the engine running, it is normally a build up of soot on the butterfly, if cleaning doesn't work then it could be one of the electric sensors not working, they can be tested with a multi meter, except for one type. 

Edit; the sensors are very similar on most cars and can be found on Lazada. One little test is with the engine idling no A/C when you turn on headlights do the revs drop. What is common the auto choke will not close completely so on idle it is choking slightly. 

6 minutes ago, bhatmasterson said:

Thanks! I had the compressor replaced approximately 18 months ago. But will check the clutch pully for corrosion. Is the Teflon spray locally available?

You should be able to find Teflon spray at a motorcycle shop such as Chang Moto or Shanghai Panich parts shop or homepro might have some.

While on the subject, wondering if anyone knows if LPS lubricant products are available in CM?

Edited by novacova

Just now, bhatmasterson said:

The last big fix was replacing the throttle body. Used, of course. Will check "the engine idling no A/C when you turn on headlights to see if the revs drop." Thank you! What type of sensor am I looking for on Lazada?Appreciated! 

Thanks for this. First thought was that the engine was idling too low as you suggested. However, this has been looked at by every mechanic I've been to. Adjusted and readjusted. The last time the car seemed to be running smoothly. Then a few days later the same thing all over again. 

Correct "idle motor" means Idle air control motor (I.A.C.) From what I was told they aren't made anymore for this model. When asked if it could be rebuilt "no parts available."

13 minutes ago, bhatmasterson said:

"the engine idling no A/C when you turn on headlights to see if the revs drop."

Not trying to send you on a wild goose chase, though a faulty alternator could be the culprit. Run the engine and turn on the headlights and have someone rev the engine while you’re looking at the headlights. If the headlights brighten when the engine revs up then the alternator is the problem. If you have a voltage meter, check the battery voltage with engine off, voltage should be ~12 volts. Then check again with engine running. The voltage should increase to ~14 volts with engine running.

Edited by novacova

18 hours ago, transam said:

Check compressor mounting hardware for fixings tightness. Does the A/C work OK, when did you last have the gas and oil evacuated and changed...?

I maybe wrong, but I think your compressor maybe the old piston type, how many miles/Km has the car done...?

AC works well. Had it gassed up when the compressor was changed about 18 months ago. The car has 215000 miles or 346000 kilometers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

s-l1600(1).jpg.beecafc37b82b64670dc163f1bfec9d0.jpg

20 minutes ago, bhatmasterson said:

The last big fix was replacing the throttle body. Used, of course. Will check "the engine idling no A/C when you turn on headlights to see if the revs drop." Thank you! What type of sensor am I looking for on Lazada?Appreciated! 

Ford throttle sensors there would be about 4 all up. similar to these.

Throttle-Position-Sensors-Ford-L-Series-24561437.jpg.a8fa3ac9f67f415bb1771fcf292e4505.jpgimageshu.jpg.5b9370f37a3d22eb3d35dda1c7d98151.jpg

Edited by brianthainess