renting a high end condo on yearly basis to rent out double or more on Airbnb per month

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Doing sublets is usually illegal, airbnb is illegal, doing any of the work like meet and greet, cleaning etc is illegal.

But besides that you are good to go.

Sorry Airbnb is not illegal, the illegal bit is STR anything less than 30 days which is on the owner of the unit

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know it is illegal in Thailand to rent out any condominium, even your own, for less than one month at a time.

If you do that you might get away with it, but it seems more and more condominium owners and committees fine people who do that.

Many condo blocks did not allow Airbnb you may even see signs at the entrance "No Airbnb" but it still goes on, 

14 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Many condo blocks did not allow Airbnb you may even see signs at the entrance "No Airbnb" but it still goes on, 

Yes, it still goes on. And this is why owner and committees do more and more implement measures against that. 

• Thanks 1

I thought you had to have the owners written agreement to be able to sublet ?? I know a friend of mine did as he was going home to France for a few months. The owner agreed as he was a long time renter , but he was then responsible for replacing everything that could ever be broken, gone wrong, during his absence. I would never do that myself, imagine someone wrecked the place etc ! 

5 minutes ago, geisha said:

I thought you had to have the owners written agreement to be able to sublet ?? I know a friend of mine did as he was going home to France for a few months. The owner agreed as he was a long time renter , but he was then responsible for replacing everything that could ever be broken, gone wrong, during his absence. I would never do that myself, imagine someone wrecked the place etc ! 

It doesn't have to be Airbnb to get places trashed or things stolen but any owner should have insurance, 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

It doesn't have to be Airbnb to get places trashed or things stolen but any owner should have insurance, 

But the OP isn’t the owner, if someone renting from him wrecked the place , he’d have to foot the bill.. 

Owners and long term renters, and every other person - from the cleaner to the security guards, are getting pissed off with certain Airbnb customers in condos, doors slamming at 3am and Chinese thinking the corridor is great place to chat at all hours of the morning as just examples, I wouldn't bet that those signs don't start getting enforced more strongly now covid is firmly dead and buried. Airbnb know the rules but still allow people to list condos for as little as 1 night.

10 minutes ago, circa02 said:

Owners and long term renters, and every other person - from the cleaner to the security guards, are getting pissed off with certain Airbnb customers in condos, doors slamming at 3am and Chinese thinking the corridor is great place to chat at all hours of the morning as just examples, I wouldn't bet that those signs don't start getting enforced more strongly now covid is firmly dead and buried. Airbnb know the rules but still allow people to list condos for as little as 1 night.

1 night stays is part of the problem, absentee landlords is another, the absentee landlords expecting the condo staff to give out keys when they are not being paid to do that, a condo maybe for 2 and 10 turn up, just no control, chaos!

• 5 weeks later...

there might be signs, but how legal are those really, is you sublet for 30 days

unless the buyers had to sign a clause in their contract that they really could not ...

but then you could make rental contracts and put a clause that the minimum cancellation is one month in advance... it just starts on the day they start renting for 30 days and they broke the contract and you spicy, NO PENALLTY...

riiiiight?