Cost of building a chicken coop (Buriram 2023)

Sandboxer

1. Sorry if been asked and answered but can't find a specific thread.

ROUGHLY how much (Thai cost, not a falang rip off special) would a chicken coop exactly like the one attached below be expected to cost?

Size is 60 sqm (650 sq ft)-ish. Will accommodate about 250-300 hens.

I'm just looking for cost estimates here from the handful of you who actually know their stuff, no need for chicken raising advice etc.

And yes, my girlfriend is different.😁

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Sandboxer

It is almost how long is a piece of string, that shed looks if it was made with new steel, I have a place near me that sells grade 2 steel ,it has a few  floors in it but perfectly good enough for a chicken shed, and it is lot cheaper than new steel, ask around to see if they is a place like this near you(I am in Lopburi province), you might be surprised what a local recycling center has have a look.

That shed is reasonable light, I have seen sheds like this made with eucalyptus polls, you would have to mount the on 1-meter concrete posts, but it would reduce you costs by half.

Labour is the big X, it is getting more 4expenive, that block work would not take long, welding the steel frame is the time-consuming part.

One thing I would be tempted to use insulated roof sheets, better for the chickens during the hot season.

You could do a budget yourself, measure the steel and get a quote, steel sheets the same, and ask around local builders for an estimate, for doing the job.

I would budget 20-25000 baht, as I said a lot cheaper if you use eucalyptus polls.

• Love It 1

On a friends farm, he has just made this chicken shed, he has about 30 hens in it, as you can see, main posts are secondhand timber, main frame is eucalyptus rails, and he has used second  hand tin sheets the floor is still dirt, but concrete would be better easer to clean. 

I would say to build this no more than 9-1000 baht, may be if that.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The post is a bit old, but not too old to not respond.

When using wood I see 2 problems:

1. Blood mites. You always get that with chickens and it can't be avoided. The big problem when using wood is that there are many cracks, holes and gaps in which these mites can hide and it is very difficult or not at all effective to combat them there. Since we live in a hot region, these beasts also reproduce extremely quickly, so that a small, overlooked nest produces a new, large generation in a very short time.

2. Termites. Is eucalyptus termite safe?

The masonry around it makes sense, the question would be whether you should also build a foundation so that no robbers can dig under the wall. I'm thinking in particular of dogs, mongooses,...

Eucalyptus is safe, if it kept dry, we have some Euc in our cattle shed has been they a lot of years, no termites, as it dry's it hardens try knocking a 4-inch nail in to 5-year-old Euc ,but Euc in the ground will only last 18 moths at the most, less if land is wet.

You could treat the wood against termite attack. 

Building foundations is a good idea, about one-foot deep should do, it will keep out most predators, old saying if you have chickens, you have rats, good footings and a block wall will help keep the shed rat proof. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Instead of a concrete foundation, you can make an excavation.

Put a layer of broken glass in there and then lay concrete slabs or something similar flush on top.

It's cheaper and serves its purpose too.

I didn't know that eucalyptus was so robust when dry. Thanks for the information.

The problem with the mites has not been solved, but the issue with the termites has.

I'll probably build my little hut on the farm with eucalyptus instead of bamboo.

You could use Mie Sorn ไม้สน known as a Thai pine, not the Christmas tree type, a good wood for building, again does not like damp areas, better than Eucalyptus and the insects do not like it.

But, I have not seen it about for a while now, you will have to ask around.