Patong Tourists Find Sex Workers A Turn-off

george

Patong tourists find sex workers a turn-off

BANGKOK: -- Prostitutes, a dirty foreshore and dirty seawater, garbage problems and rampant overcharging by tuk-tuk and taxi drivers are spoiling the charm of Phuket's Patong beach, according to a local survey.

Many tourists surveyed by eight local hoteliers found that the quality of seawater at Patong was poor and the beach itself was dirty, the Bangkok Post said in a report published yesterday.

Advertisement

Sex workers also put some people off, the paper quoted Mr Apichart Arsa, manager of the Phuket Grand Tropicana hotel, as saying.

The survey, conducted among 1,000 hotel guests between November last year and February this year, was financed by eight of the leading hotels.

They are the Phuket Grand Tropicana, Novotel Coralia, Horizon Beach, Patong Merlin Resort, Merlin Beach Resort, Holiday Inn Resort, Burasari Resort and Impiana Cabana.

Tourists were asked what they liked or disliked about Patong, according to the Bangkok Post.

Many tourists said they were impressed by the hospitality of the local people.

They also said they thought the island was good for the shopping it offered and its many entertainment venues.

However, they noted that the famed beach was getting dirtier, as was the seawater there.

The walkways, too, were dangerous. The visitors also complained about being overcharged by tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

Mr Apichart told the Post that the feedback from the tourist survey would be sent to the local authorities for action.

--The Straits Tiems, SG 2004-07-10

It always amazes me when people decide to holiday in somewhere like phuket or pattaya & then go "oh the prostituon is terrible, it really ruined my holiday" Do people not research where they are going when they book their 2 weeks at lunn polly or are they just booking somewhere cause a travel agent tells them it's a great family destination or honeymoon retreat? :D Before I even book a plane ticket I take the time to do some internet searches or flick through a couple of guidebooks & any basic research on thailand will mention quite a lot about bar girls/gogo bars etc, so it their own fault if they are that ignorant that they didn't realise that Thailand has, shock horror, prostitution :D Isn't it a shame that the girls & boys plying their ware to survive on the streets & bars on Thailand have to interfere with Mr & Mrs Smith's 2 weeks in the sun!!!!! Thailand has a lot of great places for family/couple holidays but there are also a lot that aresn't, so if they bothered to be more interested in where they were going, then they might know that too. Sorry rant over :o

Prostitutes....... I thought all the girls on Soi Bangla were just walking around looking for their friends

Do you remember a few years ago when the government sent a working group of MP's, for a week?, to check for Prostitution in Pattaya.... they came back with a clean bill for Pattaya as no evidence could be found of Girls on the game there...guess they (or their new small friends) never left their rooms

Patong is defintely in need of an overhaul. The main beach road is absolutely hideous. They should follow the theme of a tropical paradise setting instead of the third-world/shanty town motif they have going now. Patong is a disgrace to Phuket. With all that money coming in, they should figure a way to invest in municipal planning.

And for those families who are shocked to see prostitutes and transvestites lurking around at night, I would love to see their faces upon initial realization that Patong is actually Pimp City. Poor bastards.

in my humble opininon i think phuket is a nice place but patong is awful, over crowed, road are tiny and cramp, and ofcourse the beach is pretty dirty i agree, compare to pattaya it is more relaxing, road are bigger and cleaner, and ofcourse both city have hoes :o, but than again do your research before traveling.

It always amazes me when people decide to holiday in somewhere like phuket or pattaya & then go "oh the prostituon is terrible, it really ruined my holiday" Do people not research where they are going when they book their 2 weeks at lunn polly or are they just booking somewhere cause a travel agent tells them it's a great family destination or honeymoon retreat? :D Before I even book a plane ticket I take the time to do some internet searches or flick through a couple of guidebooks & any basic research on thailand will mention quite a lot about bar girls/gogo bars etc, so it their own fault if they are that ignorant that they didn't realise that Thailand has, shock horror, prostitution :D Isn't it a shame that the girls & boys plying their ware to survive on the streets & bars on Thailand have to interfere with Mr & Mrs Smith's 2 weeks in the sun!!!!! Thailand has a lot of great places for family/couple holidays but there are also a lot that aresn't, so if they bothered to be more interested in where they were going, then they might know that too. Sorry rant over :o

Hi Boo. I agree. Any bloody fool either knows, or can easily find out, that resort areas boast an abundance of ladies of the night. Me thinketh that they protest too much :D

in my humble opininon i think phuket is a nice place but patong is awful, over crowed, road are tiny and cramp, and ofcourse the beach is pretty dirty i agree, compare to pattaya it is more relaxing, road are bigger and cleaner, and ofcourse both city have hoes :D, but than again do your research before traveling.

And a whole lot more expensive I might add.

Probably the the most expensive/overpriced place in the realm.

:o

BANGKOK: -- Prostitutes, a dirty foreshore and dirty seawater, garbage problems and rampant overcharging by tuk-tuk and taxi drivers are spoiling the charm of Phuket's Patong beach, according to a local survey.

I am not visiting Phuket Patong beach anymore....

But surely not because of the presence of some few prostitutes......

You might find girls around beach hotels in other countries in this world too -

However dirty beaches, garbage problems, local traffic tariff overcharging and generally overpriced compared to the rest of Thailand are reasons not to show up there anymore. I found Phuket Patong beach two years ago full of unfinished constructions, desolat roads, unfriendly police service and a very dirty beach -

Better pay less and try out another place, this is my opinion.

Chumphon area is not bad at all, or Khanom beach or try it at Koh Samui, much better!

There are many beaches with nice accomodation without any girls around in all Thailand...

But if you go straight into Phuket Patong beach or Pattaya you will see them, because Phuket and Pattaya are places in Thailand for nightlife.

If you feel disturbed about, then you should visit other places in Thailand...

Interesting to see, that Mrs. Boo and I share the same opinion about this subject.

Wow- how can ladies ruin your holiday? One of the charms of Thailand is the nightlife and prostitution is part of it. Dont see anyone complaining that about Amsterdam or other spots around the world. Laff it off and move on - besides none of those sort are awake during the day for the most part so this should eliminate the day at the beach arguements! :o

Dont see anyone complaining that about Amsterdam or other spots around the world. Laff it off and move on - besides none of those sort are awake during the day for the most part so this should eliminate the day at the beach arguements! :o

Excuse me? Are we going to talk bad about Amsterdam? we don't have that kind of ladies in the Netherlands Sir, people visit our country for the tulips, wooden shoes and windmills. And so may it be forever! :D

Dutchy

Prostitution in holland is limited to small parts of a town or brothels. Its not in your face everywhere like it is in Patong or pattaya. .I have never stood at the bakary in holland and been asked by a hooker if I wanna go short time.

Patong is trying to clean up its immage. More upscale hotels have been build, a new mall with cinema is being build and generally compared with 4 years ago it is a lot more family friendly. I dont really mind this change. Patong gets boring if you live in Phuket. With the additional of a mall, cinema, waterpark, better restaurants, different entertainment venue;s like a jazz bar, theme bars etc, it should become a better place.

I actually do not think Patong is cleaning up its image at all. In my opinion it is getting worse and now Pooyai Pian has been re elected it will be the same as it always has been. The mafia element in Patong is out of hand with low life scum bags dictating how the street is run and who can be where.

The water park idea has been on the table for 4 years and my Aussie mate who has been trying to get it off the ground has been hit with beaurocrat crap any time he moves forward.

Patong and Phuket as a whole for that matter is also far to expensive and that is because in the most part, the farangs have placed European prices on everything.

Patong is a sh!t hole and getting worse by the year.

Another case of crap reprting. The article actually lists a number of real issues and almost as an afterthough "Sex workers also put some people off". Yeah, I bet maybe the wifes of the handful or so tourists who were dumb enough to go on a holiday to Thailand with their wife.

you should not blame ALL of those unsatisfied tourists. As a matter of fact you should blame tourist agencies and their colorfull magazines. Many (of course not all) tourists might not even know (or not want to believe) about Phukets 'real face'. They simply book cheap beach vacation far away from home...and expect to live in heaven as magazines and the staff at the travel agency promised them. Furthermore, not everybody of those tourists do have access to internet, neither they have friends who told them about their own Phuket (Thailand) experiences. Be fair and be happy too .. once those ppl have experienced the real Phuket they won't bother you any longer as they surely won't return (at least, not until they got divorced :o )

I dont understand why people make such a big deal so its in your face. Its real life, just laff it off. Whats the biggest Tourist Attraction in Amsterdam- its definitely the red light district- just walk around and you'll see tourists wandering about maybe not paying, but definitely looking. I think its a good laff personally - nothing like being called Hansome man a few million times to make you smile. :o

Hmmm, biggest tourist attraction... well for you Brits probably it is, for others, maybe not. If you ever visit my city again then please visit the likes of: Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Anna Frank's house etc. Anyway, I am sure the coffee shops are a bigger attraction then the Red Light District

hmmm Dr Pardues.. Concious dreams.. et al..

I agree with the above.. The odd monger and stag night might find the A'dam girls appealing but it is Euro draw (if you can handle the pun) that seems to be the regular revenue stream... plus Holland has the intelligent way they deal with drug problems in society via education..

Patong is a place that I visit occasionally to pick up a foreign newpsaper and have dinner. In season it is mostly crowded with tourists bussed in for the evening and looking for something to buy in the many gift shops.

There's nothing wrong with the night life. In fact it is a bit of a tourist attraction in itself. But, of course Patong far too hetic a place to live in....or even stay in more than a week....unless you are just there for the young ladies. Phuket has many more beautiful beach areas.

Hmmm, biggest tourist attraction... well for you Brits probably it is, for others, maybe not. If you ever visit my city again then please visit the likes of: Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Anna Frank's house etc. Anyway, I am sure the coffee shops are a bigger attraction then the Red Light District

judging by the huge groups of tourists from all over the world, i would say The Wallen is as big a draw as the other places but much better eye candy.

got to say though, the groups do get in the way of the proper whoremongers to use a stickman expression. :o

just came back from a 5 day break there and to be honest, I thought the beach was pretty clean. maybe not as good overall as samet or samui but more than passed the test. the beach vendors werent that pushy either ( except for the parasail and jetski guys who asked everytime if I wanted to have a go if i looked within a 30 degree angle of them )

if you want somewhere quite then patong is proably not the best, but anywhere with nightlife has a beer bar an girl somewhere, in some places its just more obvious than others.

the main problem I had was with those f*cking indian tailors. walking along, minding my own business then they step in front of me wanting to shake my hand and saying "hello my friend, how are you?" " Suit for you?" Who are the jerks who told them that sticking their hand out and blocking someones path is friendly and will get more sales? I really wanted to reply " oh, sorry, who are you? where did we meet? we havent met? well how could you be my friend if we havent met? And why after passing them probably 4 times a day on the way to and from the beach didnt they not think that maybe I was capable of seeing that they had a tailors shop and if i wanted something i could ask? Afterall, the other stall holders did.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually do not think Patong is cleaning up its image at all. In my opinion it is getting worse and now Pooyai Pian has been re elected it will be the same as it always has been. The mafia element in Patong is out of hand with low life scum bags dictating how the street is run and who can be where.

The water park idea has been on the table for 4 years and my Aussie mate who has been trying to get it off the ground has been hit with beaurocrat crap any time he moves forward.

Patong and Phuket as a whole for that matter is also far to expensive and that is because in the most part, the farangs have placed European prices on everything.

What makes you an expert on Phuket/Patong ?

• 5 weeks later...

Are you an expert on Phuket ?

post 1sonthaya Posted: Fri 2004-07-30, 01:11:35

Group: Members

Member No.: 6,353

QUOTE (Tornado @ Mon 2004-07-12, 10:38:21)

post 2sonthaya Posted: Mon 2004-08-30, 00:40:26

Group: Members

Member No.: 6,353

QUOTE (Tornado @ Mon 2004-07-12, 10:38:21)

blimey sonthaya your doing it again, double replies, A MONTH APART :o

check out the dates

Excuse me? Are we going to talk bad about Amsterdam? we don't have that kind of ladies in the Netherlands Sir, people visit our country for the tulips, wooden shoes and windmills. And so may it be forever!  :o

Dutchy

I've only ever gone there for drugs and whores which, I think, puts me in the majority of Brits going to Amsterdam. :D

Patong is HEAVEN! What more could one ask for. All the up sides of Pattaya and Bangkok and noe of the down shots. I notice that the BG's are even more nice. Lots of couples, (not Sanookers) are around the bar zones. I fellow had his wife and kids at a bar and everybody mad them feel at home. Even the LB's from a nearby watering hole we good the the kids! How well will people deal with the world if one day they wake up as a adult and seeing many many things that don't fit into the picture that was presented to them as children........<deleted>, this family had a very sexy teenie boper who know whe was getting the eye, no problem!

• 2 months later...

Then you have never seen a shithole :o

sonthaya :o

expert? NO!

expert? NO!

Then you have never seen a shithole 

Give me your address and Ill pop round and see one! :D

well you obviously wanted an answer, as you have been stalking me for an answer. my answer is: Are you an expert on Phuket? :D

• 4 weeks later...

I am not visiting Phuket Patong beach anymore....

But surely not because of the presence of some few prostitutes......

You might find girls around beach hotels in other countries in this world too -

However dirty beaches, garbage problems, local traffic tariff overcharging and generally overpriced compared to the rest of Thailand are reasons not to show up there anymore. I found Phuket Patong beach two years ago full of unfinished constructions, desolat roads, unfriendly police service and a very dirty beach -

Better pay less and try out another place, this is my opinion.

Chumphon area is not bad at all, or Khanom beach or try it at Koh Samui, much better!

There are many beaches with nice accomodation without any girls around in all Thailand...

But if you go straight into Phuket Patong beach or Pattaya you will see them, because Phuket and Pattaya are places in Thailand for nightlife.

If you feel disturbed about, then you should visit other places in Thailand...

Interesting to see, that Mrs. Boo and I share the same opinion about this subject.

Yohan we will really miss you :o