ITVx via Surfshark.....Issues ??

Chivas

Is anyone else getting "interuptions" every 4-5 minutes no matter what programme you are watching   ??

No matter what ISP i click on for the UK it happens. I've tried 3 Browsers...Speed is fast (20 down plus) so clearly not a speed issue

The complete loss of TvMucho is becoming a pain to say the least

I could subscribe to another VPN but could well be the same. ITV have likely sussed it and throw in a "disruptor" into the stream bit like Sky Sports often do on EPL matches to stop the stream

I can refresh normally takes 3 or 4 efforts and it'll pick up where it left off. Its "ok" on half hour programmes but films via ITVX are just not worth it currently

I have VPN Unlimited which I rarely use, but someone in the know has told me that it now blocks streaming for many locations, such as UK South movies and tv. I was thinking of changing to Surfshark, but now....? Maybe all VPNs are affected with whaever the source is now doing.

I really can't understand tv companies spending a fortune on making programmes and then preventing people from watching them. The expat market must be at least as big as their local market, but it's ignored.

• Like 1

I use ExpressVPN. Constantly have problems accessing ITVX. In fact I can rarely access it. I've given up on it. The constant advert breaks turn a 2 hour movie into nearer 3 hours. I am aware that there is a subscription ad free version but may still be difficult to get a stream. No Problems at all with BBCiplayer, C4 on demand, MY5 etc.  

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just tried ITVx (using Surfshark) and get this error.

I also tried connecting to a different UK location and still get the error.

Sorry about the poor quality image

Could contain:

Yep thats what comes up if you do actually get a programme running in the first place every 5 minutes or so

• Thumbs Up 1

@Chivas said: 'I could subscribe to another VPN but could well be the same. ITV have likely sussed it and throw in a "disruptor" into the stream bit like Sky Sports often do on EPL matches to stop the stream.'

What is a 'disruptor' and how do providers like Sky Sports use these there 'disruptors.'

I notice Express VPN doesn't work for me on some big football matches. Could not watch the State of Origion games as blocked. 

4 hours ago, Keeps said:

The constant advert breaks turn a 2 hour movie into nearer 3 hours.

Is that not the same on all ITV, CH4 & Ch5 programmes. That's what pays for the content.

Yes, I agree it is boring, and it is 5th November today and I am already sick & tired of Black Friday, Christmas and perfume adverts.

Some of the American stuff on IPTV are even worse.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is that not the same on all ITV, CH4 & Ch5 programmes. That's what pays for the content.

Yes, I agree it is boring, and it is 5th November today and I am already sick & tired of Black Friday, Christmas and perfume adverts.

Some of the American stuff on IPTV are even worse.

Yes, it is. It could be me, but the adverts seem more frequent and higher in numbers on ITVX compared to CH4 and CH5. I tend to stick with the BBCiplayer now. Plenty of content and obviously no adverts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

@Chivas said: 'I could subscribe to another VPN but could well be the same. ITV have likely sussed it and throw in a "disruptor" into the stream bit like Sky Sports often do on EPL matches to stop the stream.'

What is a 'disruptor' and how do providers like Sky Sports use these there 'disruptors.'

I notice Express VPN doesn't work for me on some big football matches. Could not watch the State of Origion games as blocked. 

Only what I had read several years ago. The broadcastors will insert "something" into the live feeds which makes the stream drop off

Obviously intended to make people subscribe properly in the first place (fair enough)

Right just tried watching UK soap again... Stopped 4 times during half hour

Strangely as per last week there are no adverts either before the show starts or halfway through

The programme starts straight off and when ad break comes soap name appears as normal then 1 second later appears again and restarts

If anyone is within the UK that has surfshark can you just click on a UK isp and then see if a programme runs normally  ??......it shoudnt make a difference I agree but I suspect it will run normally

This is a pain because the Chivas programme of the year in the Jungle starts soon lol and will be unwatchable....I may have to go home its that serious :biggrin:

On 11/5/2023 at 7:42 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just tried ITVx (using Surfshark) and get this error.

I also tried connecting to a different UK location and still get the error.

Sorry about the poor quality image

Could contain:

No problems when using PIA - Private Internet Access. 

It costs a little more to use PIA, still not as expensive as Nord or Express, but I think worth it. When is your subscription up for renewal?

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

It costs a little more to use PIA, still not as expensive as Nord or Express, but I think worth it. When is your subscription up for renewal?

Not bothered about the cost to be honest. Will check out PIA

Thanks

10 hours ago, recom273 said:

I don't normally watch ITVx, I was just testing it after the OP by @Chivas, so it doesn't really affect me. Surfshark subscription ends Jan 2025.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

On 11/7/2023 at 2:06 PM, recom273 said:

Recom do me quick favour again please when you have time.....

Just access that ITVx using your PIA account see if it runs for more than say 10 minutes please

(It will run on surshark for a few minutes before it stops hence I say 10 minutes)

They have a great 1 year deal on currently and will happily subscribe

Thanks

10 hours ago, Chivas said:

Recom do me quick favour again please when you have time.....

Just access that ITVx using your PIA account see if it runs for more than say 10 minutes please

(It will run on surshark for a few minutes before it stops hence I say 10 minutes)

They have a great 1 year deal on currently and will happily subscribe

Thanks

Yup, Im sitting here watching Anna Friel in a a drama called Marcella - happy to report that ITVx plays all the way without buffering. The adverts are way annoying tho'

Have you tried cleaning your cookies and web cache? I set myfirefox preferences to settings > Privacy & Security > then check "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" is ticked, this way you know you are starting on a clean slate. Maybe worth giving this a try with surfshark before splashing out on a new sub.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yup, Im sitting here watching Anna Friel in a a drama called Marcella - happy to report that ITVx plays all the way without buffering. The adverts are way annoying tho'

Have you tried cleaning your cookies and web cache? I set myfirefox preferences to settings > Privacy & Security > then check "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" is ticked, this way you know you are starting on a clean slate. Maybe worth giving this a try with surfshark before splashing out on a new sub.

I've just applied the settings above and retried ITVx using Surfshark. I selected Marcella episode 1 and it plays for 90 seconds and then there is a slight pause. This repeats a couple of times and then I get the "Something went wrong" message.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just applied the settings above and retried ITVx using Surfshark. I selected Marcella episode 1 and it plays for 90 seconds and then there is a slight pause. This repeats a couple of times and then I get the "Something went wrong" message.

I had surfshark, it was always reliable with iplayer on my firestick. It’’s cheap, but it comes up short on the the technical side.

15 hours ago, recom273 said:

Thanks for assistance...appreciated

22 hours ago, recom273 said:

I had surfshark, it was always reliable with iplayer on my firestick. It’’s cheap, but it comes up short on the the technical side.

@recom273 In what areas do you think Surfshark comes up short? iPlayer works fine for me with Surfshark

Edited by Mutt Daeng

45 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@recom273 In what areas do you think Surfshark comes up short? iPlayer works fine for me with Surfshark

Yes, I player looks fine, right? It’s always was always reliable with my firestick. it doesn’t matter for anyone just using it to watch a bit of BBC. I think it’s a great cheap option, don’t get me wrong.

However, like with the OP, you want to watch itvx and you can’t access the stream. I dont understand how this works, but different streams are accessible with different vpn, with PIA there’s no issue accessing the mpeg streams, however surfshark is hit and miss, you will often be only able to access the DASH streams some older TVs can’t play this, and it’s said that it’s of lesser quality, idk, and it doesn’t make any difference to most. So I can see for myself when comparing. Speeds are also a lot faster from PIA (again makes no difference to most, sufsharks speeds are perfectly acceptable)

PIA have a dedicated streaming server in the UK, which ”guarantees” that you can access the UK based sites (and I guess Amazon / Netflix ) - i joined PIA over the Beijing Winter Olympics and they have had 7-10 days when the server has been out of order. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yes, I player looks fine, right? It’s always was always reliable with my firestick. it doesn’t matter for anyone just using it to watch a bit of BBC. I think it’s a great cheap option, don’t get me wrong.

However, like with the OP, you want to watch itvx and you can’t access the stream. I dont understand how this works, but different streams are accessible with different vpn, with PIA there’s no issue accessing the mpeg streams, however surfshark is hit and miss, you will often be only able to access the DASH streams some older TVs can’t play this, and it’s said that it’s of lesser quality, idk, and it doesn’t make any difference to most. So I can see for myself when comparing. Speeds are also a lot faster from PIA (again makes no difference to most, sufsharks speeds are perfectly acceptable)

PIA have a dedicated streaming server in the UK, which ”guarantees” that you can access the UK based sites (and I guess Amazon / Netflix ) - i joined PIA over the Beijing Winter Olympics and they have had 7-10 days when the server has been out of order. 

Thanks for that.