Pneumonia-vaccin in Thailand

glegolo18

Do anybody know if there is available Pneumonia-vaccin shots here in Thailand?? Am a bit afraid of catching pneumonia in my age really.

I live in Isaan (Chaiyaphum) anywhere near here where I can find it. Do anybody know???

Thanks for any input

Glegolo

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is available and all the private hospitals have it but  not most government hospitals.

you will need to recrive 2 different ones . PCV 15 followed a year later  by PPSV23

Fantastic thank you so much.......

I will ask Queen Sirikit when I go back there 12th... 

glegolo

Edited by glegolo18

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

you will need to recrive 2 different ones . PCV 15 followed a year later  by PPSV23

That's correct. 

But I know of a private hospital,  popular with foreigners,  that only offers the second one (and obviously doesn't tell people they should get the first one, too).

So better ask.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is available and all the private hospitals have it but  not most government hospitals.

Pneumonia vaccination seems to be recommended mostly for children.

What would be the recommendation for an adult >70 who was told by his pneumologist after an extremely bad pneumonia in 2019 that his next pneumonia may well be his death and subsequently received a shot of Prevenar 13?

16 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

Fantastic thank you so much.......

I will ask Queen Sirikit when I go back there 12th... 

glegolo

Sheryl, may I ask you. is the correct name of this first shot maybe, PCV 13 not PCV 15??

I do ask you again because I was at RAM in Chaiyaphum just now, and they said that they only have PCV 13 at a cost of 3.500B... And they have NO second shot at all..

They do NOT have PCV 15.. Is this the very same thing, or should I be vary here maybe??

Edited by glegolo18

21 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Sheryl, may I ask you. is the correct name of this first shot maybe, PCV 13 not PCV 15??

I do ask you again because I was at RAM in Chaiyaphum just now, and they said that they only have PCV 13 at a cost of 3.500B... And they have NO second shot at all..

They do NOT have PCV 15.. Is this the very same thing, or should I be vary here maybe??

They are different brands.

Prevnar 13 covers 13 strains (PCV 13). (There is also a Prevnar 7 and Prevnar 20). 

Vaxneuvance covers 15 strains (PCV 15). (This is quite new. It was only released a couple of years ago. The manufacturers claim that the added serotypes 22F and 33F have become much more prevalent due to the widespread use of PCV 13)

Pneumovax covers 23 (PCV 23). (This includes 22F and 33F from PCV 15.)

I have had the first one. At the Red Cross (Saovabha Immunization and Travel Clinic) in Bangkok. I simply walked in.

If/when I ever visit Bangkok again I will get the second.

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

13 in place of 15 is OK. Little difference but not that important (though 15 is the better of the 2). 

But you will need 23 a year later. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is also recommended for persons over 65 (slightly different vaccine schedule) especially if they have any chronic conditions. 

If you received Prevnar 13 next step (at least 1 year later) is Pneumovax 23.

I got Pneumovax 23 at age 70 , and now at 75 a second Pneumovax , no bad implications by the vaccinations  . Both when visiting my E.U. home country

Edited by david555

How old are you, if I may ask? If you are older than 50 but not more than 65, you might need only one dose of Pneumovax23. If you are older than 65, you might need to receive the Prevnar13 vaccine first, and after 6 to 12 months, you can then get the Pneumovax23.

Keep in mind that it's called the pneumo vaccine because it prevents infections caused by the bacteria known as Streptococcus pneumoniae, or pneumococcus for short. Other causes of pneumonia are not prevented by this vaccine.