Multiple-entry nono-O visa + Work permit

Can anyone assist with my question please.

I recently left my old job and B visa cancelled.

I no longer want to rely on employers for my extension of stay in Thailand. 

So, I'm thinking to get multiple-entry nono-O visa from savannakhet then any company can attach a WP to it.

My question is, if I get multiple-entry nono-O visa and after new company issue WP do I still have to exit every 90 days?

Thanks in advance for advice.

• Confused 2

On 11/7/2023 at 9:24 AM, bangkok blue said:

My question is, if I get multiple-entry nono-O visa and after new company issue WP do I still have to exit every 90 days?

Yes, your permission to stay indicates when you must leaver. The work permit (and also the visa) are not your permission to stay. The work permit allows you to work legally. The (unexpired) visa allows you to enter Thailand. If you do not want to leave at the expiry of your permission to stay, you must apply for an extension (60 days immediately based on Thai spouse without financial proof or one year under consideration with financial proof).

Edited by Maestro
changed MENO to multiple-entry nono-O visa in the quoted text
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, BritTim said:

Yes, your permission to stay indicates when you must leaver. The work permit (and also the visa) are not your permission to stay. The work permit allows you to work legally. The (unexpired) visa allows you to enter Thailand. If you do not want to leave at the expiry of your permission to stay, you must apply for an extension (60 days immediately based on Thai spouse without financial proof or one year under consideration with financial proof).

Thanks Tim,

So to be clear. The issuing of a WP on a multiple-entry nono-O visa does not change the maximum period of stay on this visa (90 days) I would still need to hop over boarder and come back every 90days. Do I understand this correctly? Can an extension to stay at the expiration of current permission to stay be considered/issued based on a obtaining a WP?

Edited by Maestro
changed MENO to multiple-entry nono-O visa

On 11/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, bangkok blue said:

Thanks Tim,

So to be clear. The issuing of a WP on a multiple-entry nono-O visa does not change the maximum period of stay on this visa (90 days) I would still need to hop over boarder and come back every 90days. Do I understand this correctly? Can an extension to stay at the expiration of current permission to stay be considered/issued based on a obtaining a WP?

You must either leave when your permission to stay expires, or apply for an extension of your permission to stay. The permission to stay can be extended based on your Thai spouse (usually best) or based on working.

Edited by Maestro

3 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

I would still need to hop over boarder and come back every 90days.

Yes but if you're married you can get a 60 day extension meaning you only have to leave every 150 days. You must make your last entry though, no later the day before the expiry date of the visa - that would grant you a further 90 days + potential 60 day extension.

• Confused 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, BritTim said:

You must either leave when your permission to stay expires, or apply for an extension of your permission to stay. The permission to stay can be extended based on your Thai spouse (usually best) or based on working.

Thanks Tim,

So it is actually possible for my company to do extension on permission to stay on the multiple-entry nono-O visa 1 year visa then, thus avoiding having to leave every leave every 90 days?

Edited by Maestro

2 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Thanks Tim,

So it is actually possible for my company to do extension on permission to stay on the MENO 1 year visa then, thus avoiding having to leave every leave every 90 days?

No they could not, because the initial extension must be for the same reason as issuance of the visa, in your case marriage, not business. And you also said you do not want to be reliant on work for your permission to stay.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:46 AM, bigt3116 said:

No they could not, because the initial extension must be for the same reason as issuance of the visa, in your case marriage, not business. And you also said you do not want to be reliant on work for your permission to stay.

I know several people who have single entry O Visa and get extension to stay based on work. So I'd like to know if same applies to multiple-entry nono-O visa.

Edited by Maestro

On 11/8/2023 at 3:26 AM, bangkok blue said:

Thanks Tim,

So it is actually possible for my company to do extension on permission to stay on the multiple-entry nono-O visa 1 year visa then, thus avoiding having to leave every leave every 90 days?

If doing an extension of your permission to stay based on your Thai spouse, your employment is completely irrelevant. Your employer will not be able to do it for you. If you are doing an extension of your permission to stay based on working, the company can (might) help. You will still need to visit the immigration office with whoever handles these things within your company. Having done the extension on the basis of working (or Thai spouse) rather than using your visa, you will then need to do 90-day address reports (but these are usually not too much of a hassle).

Edited by Maestro

This is how I understand it - or at least this is how I intend to do it. Once you have 90 days or one year non-immigrant O based on marriage, you apply for the one year extension based on 400k two months seasoned money. As the guys say, the WP has nothing to do with this visa. 

Then, when you will be applying for the one year extension next year, you will do it based on your 12 months proof of income which is for us married guys 40k monthly minimum. 

I also intend to apply for one year re-entry permit so can come and go whenever I want. In case you stay in the country up to 90 days, you report it to your local immigration office.

The only thing that bothers me is the consideration period for the one year extension that takes 30 days because during that period I think we are stuck in Thailand and can't go out. Or is there some workaround for this?