Investment options in Thailand ?

I know Thailand is not a great place to hold savings due to the poor interest rates, so are there any other investment options/accounts available as a foreigner here? That would yield better returns? Would a financial advisor (knowledgeable about investment options here) be a good idea or waste of time/money? The funds need to be accessible here. Thanks

13 minutes ago, mja1906 said:

Would a financial advisor (knowledgeable about investment options here) be a good idea or waste of time/money?

Why does a Financial Advisor do what he/she does, instead of using their own money?

From past experience, none of them are worth the commission they get immediately from YOUR money.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why does a Financial Advisor do what he/she does, instead of using their own money?

From past experience, none of them are worth the commission they get immediately from YOUR money.

I think the best you can hope for from a financial advisor is dodging rookie mistakes......otherwise why aren't they all investing and making a fortune????

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I think the best you can hope for from a financial advisor is dodging rookie mistakes......otherwise why aren't they all investing and making a fortune????

Yes, that's what I meant. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Investing is a long path that requires little time each week - maybe a few hours.

Investing does not produce "a fortune" until a couple decades have passed and compounding performs its magic.

Speculating, on the other hand, requires a full time commitment in order to produce "a fortune" in less than a decade.

Many investment advisors are investing their own money for the long run. They are not speculators.

While I agree that a large number of investment advisors are subpar, there are good ones who are worth their price.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I know quite a few. They are all pretty affluent. They all invest heavily, in exactly the same funds/wrappers as their clients.

Some people have more complex needs than others. Then there is tax planning of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, timendres said:

Investing is a long path that requires little time each week - maybe a few hours.

Investing does not produce "a fortune" until a couple decades have passed and compounding performs its magic.

Speculating, on the other hand, requires a full time commitment in order to produce "a fortune" in less than a decade.

Many investment advisors are investing their own money for the long run. They are not speculators.

While I agree that a large number of investment advisors are subpar, there are good ones who are worth their price.

Perfect. Are you in the industry? 

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Why not just hold your investments in your own country and ship any returns out here?

Good advice, at least in your country as well as knowing the law you also have all the rights, which is very partial in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, timendres said:

Been working on WallStreet for over 30 years.

Building real-time trading systems that leverage risk-arb and statistical anomalies.

Wow, excellent mate. 

I know nothing about trading but a fair bit about UK wealth management.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Wow!.....I'm going to shut up now.

Please, do not. One thing I have learned in all those years of Wall Street is to listen. Because the best ideas come from the most unlikely places - and people. While many "quants" these days are PhD level mathematicians, there is so much about investing and speculating that cannot be summed up with math.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

Please, do not. One thing I have learned in all those years of Wall Street is to listen. Because the best ideas come from the most unlikely places - and people. While many "quants" these days are PhD level mathematicians, there is so much about investing and speculating that cannot be summed up with math.

On that note I will just say........ eggs and baskets....and leave it that....555

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Why not just hold your investments in your own country and ship any returns out here?

That's exactly what I do @Will B Good, and I have spread my investments over shares, fixed term deposits and peer-to-peer lending and I recently had a couple of dividends from the shares, so just yesterday I shipped them over to my Thai bank account.

I do have Investment Adviser and Financial Planning qualifications and experience, and also started and ran an investment division for a major NZ bank, and what @timendres has posted is right, because risk profiles and investment and goal timeframes have to be discussed way before any investment is made, and the investment is structured to match the risk profile and achieve the investment and goal timeframes........and it doesn't happen overnight.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Been working on WallStreet for over 30 years.

Building real-time trading systems that leverage risk-arb and statistical anomalies.

That's what my last Financial Advisor said to me..so I left him as I did not understand what he was talking about.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So where do I invest at 76 years old?  555

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

...at 76 just spend, spend, spend.

If I reach 76 I will be doing a George Best and spending my money on booze, sex and drugs, the rest I will just squander.

No need to worry about investing at 76 :biggrin::biggrin:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

If I reach 76 I will be doing a George Best and spending my money on booze, sex and drugs, the rest I will just squander.

No need to worry about investing at 76 :biggrin::biggrin:

The quote was on BBC Radio 4s Quote Unquote yesterday, and it wasn't George Best....but I can't remember who it was.

He isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles'..................not John Lennon.............Jasper Carrot

Edited by KannikaP