More Black And Whites

Nignoy

As promised a few more piccies from Isaan63-64,

1st group camp bashas, road to village ,Sawadi bar and road to Leong nok tha,

2nd group dont laugh at big ears he is still serving as a Major in the australian army,the9th hole on Camp Crown golf course, the first plane to land on the airfield before it SANK!!

3rd group on patrol between Phu Mu and Muk, the roughy toughy lance jack is yours truly

4th pair, Kranji War cemetary Singapore, and Jim Box,s Grave

last lot, god daughter Gu with 1 of of my tame Budgies!! and xmas 95 at Nignoys.

To answer an earlier thread, Jim Box was killed by a burst of automatic gunfire, contrary to many stories doing the rounds ,apart from myself and the 3 laotians doing the shooting, there were no other participants, I carried jims body back to camp,there was no one else there because it was after curfew,I was the only witness at the thai coroners inquest in Ubon, also the only witness at the military court of enquiry in Gillman and Tanglin Barracks in Singapore on the 3 and 4th of Jan 1966, under the freedom of information act , this statement is easy to check up on :o Nignoy

post-11182-1184659977_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1184660030_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1184660097_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1184660149_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1184660211_thumb.jpg

Hi Nignoy

Great pics. I knew nothing about british army ops in Thailand and have just spent the morning reading your previous posts on the subject, fascinating. I'm living in Isaan and will certainly be paying a visit to Leong nok tha. Sadly, I suspect the Sawadi bar is long gone.

I served with 28 Bde in Singapore during the 70's. The Australians were mostly gone and it'd just changed from ANZUK to Commonwealth. I was attached to The Gordons and we stopped painting and cleaning Neesoon, prior to handing it over to the Singaporeans, just long enough to have a final parade at Kranji in Nov 75. It was a very moving occasion not least because there were so many Gordons at rest there who had fallen in 1942 and during the occupation.

Your tales of villagers singing "the muffin man" reminded me of some great nights at a kampong near the ranges at Asahan, drunken jocks trying to teach drunken malay villagers the words of flower of scotland and bonnie mary - hearts and minds eh!

Btw, have you got your veterans badge yet? Hardly the gift of a generous nation but better than nothing. I've not applied yet but a mate here has one. He also qualifies for the Pingat Jasa but has had no joy applying through the Brit authorities, any ideas?

Any other ex HM Forces in Isaan? Everyone I've met so far has been SAS. :D Funny that. :o

Hi Nignoy

Great pics. I knew nothing about british army ops in Thailand and have just spent the morning reading your previous posts on the subject, fascinating. I'm living in Isaan and will certainly be paying a visit to Leong nok tha. Sadly, I suspect the Sawadi bar is long gone.

I served with 28 Bde in Singapore during the 70's. The Australians were mostly gone and it'd just changed from ANZUK to Commonwealth. I was attached to The Gordons and we stopped painting and cleaning Neesoon, prior to handing it over to the Singaporeans, just long enough to have a final parade at Kranji in Nov 75. It was a very moving occasion not least because there were so many Gordons at rest there who had fallen in 1942 and during the occupation.

Your tales of villagers singing "the muffin man" reminded me of some great nights at a kampong near the ranges at Asahan, drunken jocks trying to teach drunken malay villagers the words of flower of scotland and bonnie mary - hearts and minds eh!

Btw, have you got your veterans badge yet? Hardly the gift of a generous nation but better than nothing. I've not applied yet but a mate here has one. He also qualifies for the Pingat Jasa but has had no joy applying through the Brit authorities, any ideas?

Any other ex HM Forces in Isaan? Everyone I've met so far has been SAS. :D Funny that. :o

Yes I have had my badge a few years now, As far as the Pingat Jasa medal goes, they presented the first 500 in UK 2 weeks ago, you can view the Presentation Photo,s on www.keithcurtis.co.uk have a look on page 2 photo 18235066, that is my oppo Haden Yorky Bretton veteran of Borneo, malaya, thailand and Aldershot!! to apply for the pinjat jasa medal .Send details of servive ,Number , Rank ,and name, length of foreskin :D To National Malaya&Borneo Veterans Association, Mr Fred Burden, National Membership Secretary,44 Meadgate Avenue,Great Baddow,Chelmsford,CM2 7LQ, England, funny about the 100,s of SAS who supposedly served with us I only ever met 2 genuine members of the regiment in the time I served in thailand and they are on my patrol photo,s, the gent in the striped cossie was the only SAS officer to serve in thailand between 61 and 66 :D Nignoy

Re the PJM, I'll give him the details. I'm pretty sure he's been trying to contact that address but he's had no reply yet. Do you get to wear it? Got one each from Saudi and Kuwait with a little typed note from the gubmint warning that they were accepted as souvenirs only and not to be worn.

There a few of "them" here

To answer an earlier thread, Jim Box was killed by a burst of automatic gunfire, contrary to many stories doing the rounds ,apart from myself and the 3 laotians doing the shooting, there were no other participants, I carried jims body back to camp,there was no one else there because it was after curfew,I was the only witness at the thai coroners inquest in Ubon, also the only witness at the military court of enquiry in Gillman and Tanglin Barracks in Singapore on the 3 and 4th of Jan 1966, under the freedom of information act , this statement is easy to check up on :o Nignoy

I think this may be an answer to my question, but it strikes me as rather cryptic. I have no reason to doubt your account, but the obvious questions would be (a) How do you know the others doing the shooting were 'three Loatians', since they were never caught? (B ) Does this mean that you think there was or was not any CPT involvement?

Edited by citizen33

The 3 laotians were captured in a village called Muang Kao as they headed for the Border,I was witness at their trial in Ubon, I was invited along with the CRE to attend the execution which I declined, 10 days later Iwas RTU,d to UK :o Nignoy

• 3 weeks later...

2nd group dont laugh at big ears he is still serving as a Major in the australian army,the9th hole on Camp Crown golf course, the first plane to land on the airfield before it SANK!!

3rd group on patrol between Phu Mu and Muk, the roughy toughy lance jack is yours truly

last lot, god daughter Gu with 1 of of my tame Budgies!! and xmas 95 at Nignoys.

Guys

Great thread here, wonder how I missed it last month on TV.

Mac Thompson

U.S. Army, Korat, '64-'65;  IVS & USAID/Laos, '66-'75; retired in Thailand

Guys

Great thread here, wonder how I missed it last month on TV.

Mac Thompson

U.S. Army, Korat, '64-'65;  IVS & USAID/Laos, '66-'75; retired in Thailand

HI mac , spent some time in the Mash at Korat in may 1965 have kept in touch with a couple of the Spec 4,s who nursed me back to health, Do you Remember The Broken Arrow Shack on Base, Keep the faith my friend :D Nignoy

Thats a huge big owl in the pic by the way :o:D
You think he is big!! his mother was twice his size,she killed over 420 foxes in her 19 year hunting career, she had a hunting weight of 3.6 kilos and a wingspan of 1 metre 96 centimetres, she was such a character We wrote a book about her :D Nignoy

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this incident well. I helped to put his body in the canvas body bag & then stitch it up, it was then placed in the freezer in the cookhouse & the next morning a Thai doctor had to come from Ubon & pronounce him dead. So we had to undo the canvas & then re-do it again after the doctor had seen him.

Really sad & quite traumatic in those days.

I wonder if we will ever get a medal for Op Crown like the Aussies did? I have emailed the goverment website but never had a response.

Keep happy you all

Parky

I remember this incident well. I helped to put his body in the canvas body bag & then stitch it up, it was then placed in the freezer in the cookhouse & the next morning a Thai doctor had to come from Ubon & pronounce him dead. So we had to undo the canvas & then re-do it again after the doctor had seen him.

I wonder if we will ever get a medal for Op Crown like the Aussies did? I have emailed the goverment website but never had a response.

Keep happy you all

Parky

PM me parky , I have the GSM with thailand bar,it was issuedto 116 of us as far as I know,Nignoy

Keep happy you all

Parky

PM me parky , I have the GSM with thailand bar,it was issuedto 116 of us as far as I know,Nignoy

Hi Nignoy

Had an official letter from Service Personnel & Veterans Agency Building 250 RAF Innsworth Glos GL3 1HW.

I quote "The MOD does NOT issue any award for post World War Two service in Thailand" Unquote.

So it looks like the Aussies who worked with us ( A Commonwealth country with HRH the Queen as its head) did get a medal but we are not worthy of one. I wonder if it is still worth pushing it?

Be interesting to see what other (Wrinklies) feel who served with Op Crown.

Parky