Revealed: Mistakes that blocked Maui wildfire escape routes

CharlieH

image.png

At least 99 people died when an inferno destroyed the town of Lahaina in the deadliest wildfire in modern US history.

Through first-hand accounts, as well as police bodycam footage and recordings, a BBC investigation reveals why it was so hard to escape - and uncovers mistakes from authorities.

By the time she saw the smoke, it was almost too late.

The first thing U'i Kahue noticed was the wind battering her neighbourhood, ripping off roofs and felling trees. Then she saw the smoke, rolling in like a black cloud. In no time, the fire had become an inferno.

She grabbed a hose, trying to stop her house from going up in flames.

"That's ridiculous now that I say it out loud, but I'm trying to water the roof."

A kumu - or teacher - of Hawaiian traditional crafts, U'i has a deep connection to Hawaii, where her family has lived for five generations, and in particular, the town of Lahaina. Located on the northwest coast of Maui, it had once been the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom before the island chain became a US State in 1959.

And now it was burning to the ground.

By the time the fire was put out, at least 99 people had died - some of them trapped in their cars trying to flee. With just two major roads providing an exit out - the Lahaina Bypass and the Honoapiʻilani Highway - there were few options for people to evacuate in the case of an emergency.

When the fire reached the shoreline, some abandoned their cars, choosing to run to the only place the flames couldn't reach - the sea.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

Failing to plan is planning to fail.  After a previous Lahaina wildfire in 2018, a report was compiled with recommendations to handle future  fires.  It was filed and never acted on.  In fact, no one, including the media, was allowed to have a copy of the report.

Politics at its worst.