Chiang Mai and Austin TX, what is so “special”?

sqwakvfr

Austin Mayor Kirk Watson and Chiang Mai Provincial Governor Nirat Phongsittithaworn will sign a Memorandum of Understanding to launch the Austin-Chiang Mai Sister Cities initiative at Austin City Hall on November 12, 2023 at 8:30 a.m. The Thai Ambassador to the United States, Tanee Sangrat, U.S. Consul General in Chiang Mai, Lisa Buzenas, a newly-established Sister Cities initiative volunteer Board of Directors in Austin, and a visiting Thai delegation of local officials, business leaders, and entrepreneurs will participate in the signing ceremony. The group, along with Thai and American communities from Austin and Chiang Mai, will celebrate the new Sister Cities relationship at a kick-off event at Wat Buddhananachat in Austin.

I have been to Austin several times.  Last time I was there the homeless encampments were overwhelming.  The suburbs of Austin are nice.  Round Rock TX is great.  I have a friend who retired from Austin Police Department and Austin was commonly known as “San Francisco TX”.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

What about the Austin sound like Lucinda Williams, Lyle Lovitt etc. Few places in the world are so musically famous.

The great music part and good food I would agree on.  But when I got off I-35 from San Antonio the first thing I saw was a large homeless encampment.  Then I saw more homeless encampments and then more and more homeless. I thought I was back in downtown Los Angeles.  The first time i was in Austin was back in 1985 and it was great.  Every time I go back it is more and more disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Austin is the Asheville of the South West. And CM is the Asheville of Southeast Asia.

Rich hippies, a proper selection of restaurants, so Southern Indian restaurants, not just Indian ones. A smattering of culture, not just Methodist tyranny. If I had to live in Texas (at gunpoint), it would be there.

The whole southwest's many problems with electricity and water make me grateful to be in Chiang Mai. Mexico might well refuse to take it back.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Austin is the Asheville of the South West. And CM is the Asheville of Southeast Asia.

Rich hippies, a proper selection of restaurants, so Southern Indian restaurants, not just Indian ones. A smattering of culture, not just Methodist tyranny. If I had to live in Texas (at gunpoint), it would be there.

The whole southwest's many problems with electricity and water make me grateful to be in Chiang Mai. Mexico might well refuse to take it back.

I prefer San Antonio(specifically the north part beyond 1604).  I found this story on a San Antonio TV station website.  I am considering SA when my time in “paradise” ends in a few months.  

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The great music part and good food I would agree on.  But when I got off I-35 from San Antonio the first thing I saw was a large homeless encampment.  Then I saw more homeless encampments and then more and more homeless. I thought I was back in downtown Los Angeles.  The first time i was in Austin was back in 1985 and it was great.  Every time I go back it is more and more disappointing. 

Do you know the source of the many homeless? Is it the illegal immigration?