I Wanna Send My Audi Tt To Thailand From The Uk!

:o:D Id love ta send my beloved audi tt to thailand,ive had a decent quote of£675 for the shipping cost...southampton to bangkok,what i need to know is there a huge import permit and import tax fee to pay?...surely some of the thai visa crew have done similar!....thanks in advance for any advice

The Thai customs will just up and up the duty until you walk away without the car (possibly STARTING at around 700% of THEIR percieved value of the car)

There are at least a couple of threads on here somewhere that go into more details, but the best advice would be to forget the idea

Penkoprod

Massive import duties to pay make it simply uneconomical. Something like 80% of the Thai value of the car, not the UK value. I think if you have owned the car overseas for at least 5 years the tax declines. Few foreigners bring cars to Thailand, if at all.

hello.

As above. Please search the forum for importing. Pretty much ALL advice is to forget it.

If Thai customs take a shine to your car they will come up with some ridiculous tariff that will make you consider just walking away. It will then find its way into a Thai auction room or some customs officials driveway. :o

hello.

As above. Please search the forum for importing. Pretty much ALL advice is to forget it.

If Thai customs take a shine to your car they will come up with some ridiculous tariff that will make you consider just walking away. It will then find its way into a Thai auction room or some customs officials driveway. :o

mmmmmm,im a bit gutted now,ive never seen a tt in thailand,and i did have visions of me crusin round samui in mine!...if you could find one for sale in thailand ,i bet it would cost a fortune!....i may sound stupid,but what if i actually drove the car from the uk to thailand...very possible via ferrys etc?...would i still get charged a massive amount at some thai border as i entered?mmmmmmmm

Ive found 3 topics in the last two pages covering this subject!! Do a search! (I find myself posting that too often these days)

Basically, you are looking at between 2 million for a 2001 model to 5 million for a 2007 model. (prices resulting from a quick search on the usual car for sale site). So, you are looking at a boatload of personal import tax.

Seriously, search it. Theres a mine of info and a good few personal experience stories.

:o:D Id love ta send my beloved audi tt to thailand,ive had a decent quote of£675 for the shipping cost...southampton to bangkok,what i need to know is there a huge import permit and import tax fee to pay?...surely some of the thai visa crew have done similar!....thanks in advance for any advice

Do what I did with mine, sell it. The duties will far exceed the current value of the car.

hello.

mmmmmm,im a bit gutted now,ive never seen a tt in thailand,and i did have visions of me crusin round samui in mine!...if you could find one for sale in thailand ,i bet it would cost a fortune!....i may sound stupid,but what if i actually drove the car from the uk to thailand...very possible via ferrys etc?...would i still get charged a massive amount at some thai border as i entered?mmmmmmmm

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, "me crusin round samui " i didnt know theyed built a race track down there????

You cruse arond samui in wellingtons boots! or a trial bike!

Even mr golden balls wont get a sports car there! but posh might!

All the above posts 100% correct, leave it it at home, btw, we are all same ,all wanted to bring ours, its just not justifieable, i too sold my audi and it was the best car ive ever had, get a bike, when in rome!

best of mate

Do red ones really go faster ?

Damm straight...and damm fast. In Bangkok I drive a VTEC Jazz. How about that?

That's just what I drive around Bangkok...nice yellow one with the 7 speed paddle-shift. Would love to add a turbo some day.

No accounting for good taste. :o

Do red ones really go faster ?

Damm straight...and damm fast. In Bangkok I drive a VTEC Jazz. How about that?

That's just what I drive around Bangkok...nice yellow one with the 7 speed paddle-shift. Would love to add a turbo some day.

No accounting for good taste. :o

I just got the new black on black VS model. Yeah, we are really stylin' now bro. Ever think you'd get this turned on by a little piece of sh!t honda? I'm gonna turbo mine up too just for grins.

i may sound stupid,but what if i actually drove the car from the uk to thailand...very possible via ferrys etc?...would i still get charged a massive amount at some thai border as i entered?mmmmmmmm

You wouldn't be charged tax. but when you leave the car has to leave or your liable for the tax.

You occaisonally see malaysian and singaporean cars here in BKK , more often in the south.

Cheers

yep, me too. Just got one for the wife's birthday after spending the last 5 years trundling around in a 1999 Sport Rider. The Sport Rider stays under the car port and we go everywhere in the VTEC Jazz (black with CVT). I just can't help grinning every time I get behind the wheel. Kinda reminds me of the original VW Golf GTi (circa 1975/6). Basic inside, excellent engineering, stacks of grunt and enough room in the back for at least six bales of straw (important for me because I'm, nominally, a Gentleman farmer!

Forget the Audi, get yerself a VTEC Jazz, it'll cost you less than the tea money for importing a TT and you'll be grinning as much as me. BTW I'm 55, going on 15! :o

i may sound stupid,but what if i actually drove the car from the uk to thailand...very possible via ferrys etc?...would i still get charged a massive amount at some thai border as i entered?mmmmmmmm

You wouldn't be charged tax. but when you leave the car has to leave or your liable for the tax.

You occaisonally see malaysian and singaporean cars here in BKK , more often in the south.

Cheers

Doesnt work for a UK registered car without leaving a bond to cover the possible tax owed and then (trying) to claim that back when you prove its left !!

I hear some grease gets them in through the cambo side with a personal guarantee instead of a bond like bikes.

yep, me too. Just got one for the wife's birthday after spending the last 5 years trundling around in a 1999 Sport Rider. The Sport Rider stays under the car port and we go everywhere in the VTEC Jazz (black with CVT). I just can't help grinning every time I get behind the wheel. Kinda reminds me of the original VW Golf GTi (circa 1975/6). Basic inside, excellent engineering, stacks of grunt and enough room in the back for at least six bales of straw (important for me because I'm, nominally, a Gentleman farmer!

Forget the Audi, get yerself a VTEC Jazz, it'll cost you less than the tea money for importing a TT and you'll be grinning as much as me. BTW I'm 55, going on 15! :o

Have to admit they make a great pick up substitute.....carted 150+ tree saplings in the back of mine from Kabin Buri to Kalasin. No problem at all.

Funny, the wife's family prefer to travel in the tray of the Vigo. Guess the Jazz isn't hi-so enough for them.

Edited by sibeymai

Hmm.. IT IS the most shot down thread !! But why don't u try the cheaper way > in UK, go to AA & try to get the "Carnet de passage" basically a passport for your car ! Than all you'll need is to cross the border out of thailand,short & pleasant hop either to Malaysia,or Lao ,and back again . U may also ship the car into S'pore, or Malaysia instead(if a bit cheaper,also english speaking customs to deal with). i personally saw one french couple (in french plated car in Penang!) this is more sensible,than you think. Also u may drive part way overland, great experience & save on those airtickets ! Now that will cost u full 0.00 in customs charges, u'll only need the basic insurance to buy any country u drive in , even road tax>free !

sorry i've omitted, that the pleasant hops to theneighbouring countries you'll need to take in order to do a "visa run" for your car, like once every 3 months, or if in Malaysia 6 months, S'pore will allow foreign vehicles for 14 days @ a time.

Thais usually give 1 month @ land crossings, but it's easier extendable than tourist visa for farang !

Doesnt work for a UK registered car without leaving a bond to cover the possible tax owed and then (trying) to claim that back when you prove its left !!

I hear some grease gets them in through the cambo side with a personal guarantee instead of a bond like bikes.

Thats not correct if you drive it over the Thai border.

Here is how the Singaporean expats do it. http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1472

Cheers

There is just no way to do it and save money in comparison with the local prices. So, unless the car type/model is not avialble here, you might as well sell the one at home and buy one here. That is, as long as you're prepared the shell out 3 times of what you received for the similar vehicle at home. Here's the link to Thai Customs, everything you need to know about the rates and temporary import http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp . I looked at it extensively, just for the fact that i'd hate to pay for a ten year old car the same amount as for a new one in Europe. In the end gave up. The good news if you buy local expensive cars is, that in general they're well kept with low mileage.

G'luck

Hmm.. IT IS the most shot down thread !! But why don't u try the cheaper way > in UK, go to AA & try to get the "Carnet de passage" basically a passport for your car ! Than all you'll need is to cross the border out of thailand,short & pleasant hop either to Malaysia,or Lao ,and back again . U may also ship the car into S'pore, or Malaysia instead(if a bit cheaper,also english speaking customs to deal with). i personally saw one french couple (in french plated car in Penang!) this is more sensible,than you think. Also u may drive part way overland, great experience & save on those airtickets ! Now that will cost u full 0.00 in customs charges, u'll only need the basic insurance to buy any country u drive in , even road tax>free !

And for the 100th time..

Thailand does not accept a carnet du pasage and secondly you have to leave a deposit with the AA carnet insurance people equal to whatever the max tax bond is in any of the countries you wish to visit on your carnet.

Have you ever had a Carnet ?? I have used them in africa and they are not the solution you claim

Thats not correct if you drive it over the Thai border.

Here is how the Singaporean expats do it. http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1472

Cheers

Sigh.. And again.. For the umpteenth time.

THAT DOESNT WORK FOR UK REGGED CAR !!!!

You can drive a Malay car up.. Or a sing car.. Same as you can drive a Laos car in or a Cambo Vehicle in.. And not leave a bond.. You yourself become the personal guarantee of the bond, just like with motorcycles. So if you get your car a Malay or Sing number plate (almost as expensive as Thailand) it becomes an option.

But cars from non neighbouring countries are not let through the borders without a bond for all the tax placed in bank guarantee or cash.

I know someone who was told x amount of millions on the Malay border, offered large T money (100's of k baht) no go.. Same guy then drove back to sing, reshipped it to cambo, and bribed it cheaply through the Cambo border.

sorry i've omitted, that the pleasant hops to theneighbouring countries you'll need to take in order to do a "visa run" for your car, like once every 3 months, or if in Malaysia 6 months, S'pore will allow foreign vehicles for 14 days @ a time.

Thais usually give 1 month @ land crossings, but it's easier extendable than tourist visa for farang !

Thailand gives a pretty good 6 months per visit system.. And the max penalties for overstay are also very minimal.. I think theres a max of 30k or similar (see customs website)..

I know a few harleys on USA plates and one has stopped visa running altogether.. Theres no marks on the bike to say its 'due date' no marks in his passport.. Cops seem to have no way to know unless they specifically ask you to bring papers to the cop shop which has never happened.

I bet crashing one would be a nightmare tho.