Tesco

Bisto

PM asked to overrule Tesco plan

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

More than 100 people from Suphan Buri's Sam Chuk district rallied at Government House yesterday, urging Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to revoke a licence for a Tesco Lotus hypermarket and protect a renowned century-old market.

They said the licence was granted to Tesco in March by Sam Chuk municipality. The store is to be located on Highway No. 340 (Suphan Buri-Chai Nat) near Sam Chuk junction, only one kilometre from the Sam Chuk market.

-Bangkok Post

"I did not approve the project just because my son owned the land. I don't think the hypermarket will affect the Sam Chuk market," he said.

that's the LOS we know!!

I have tried to explain the concept of hypermarkets to some Thais, but like everyone else in the world, they file into these cash-cows, happily buy a few bargains then fill their trolley with crap that is cheaper at 7eleven...or of course the local market. And like in the UK, once local trade is dead the prices creep up.

boring and depressing

I think some kind of balance can and must be found. May people's lives would be improved with hypermarkets nearby. I know of some people who have to travel a long way to get the things they can only buy at Tesco, etc. Thai's, not just farang.

A social responsibility program could be established. Tesco should be required to spend money improving the local market (cleanliness, etc.) and to find a way to buy local products to help the economy in the area. Ideally, market vendors could set up stalls in or outside of the Tesco so that shoppers could do one stop shopping from locals and the hypermart. :o

Tesco's also employ quite a number of people when they open and they have to employ people in line with labour law. Many of these jobs dont require massive education. Maybe some shophouse and market employers dont want the lower classes to learn about higher wages and labour protection.

Tesco's also employ quite a number of people when they open and they have to employ people in line with labour law. Many of these jobs dont require massive education. Maybe some shophouse and market employers dont want the lower classes to learn about higher wages and labour protection.

tesco offer quality foods at affordable prices ,they also employ with in the community ,if the market offers the same quality and price then they will survive .........

tesco offer quality foods at affordable prices ,they also employ with in the community ,if the market offers the same quality and price then they will survive .........

Hammered's comments are right on. How many of those 'little' shopkeepers (you know - the "little" ones leading this campaign - like the 7-11 franchise owners) are really looking out for the interest of Chavalit Changwongshin, et al, who sells only toilet tissue and baby nappies/diapers in his shop for ten baht more than Tesco?

And how many (as Hammered says) care about making their Burmese maid work all day and all night in their home and then in their shop for 2,000 baht per month??

Tesco pays the legal wage and OT. how many Chin-Wong-Shans on your Soi do the same?? Where are the labour inspectors?? It's just easier to blame the foreigners -- but EUREKA -- wait a second! Aren't the Shin-Wong-Shans foreigners too? No they're like 'thais'.

Edited by thaigene2

I think some kind of balance can and must be found. May people's lives would be improved with hypermarkets nearby. I know of some people who have to travel a long way to get the things they can only buy at Tesco, etc. Thai's, not just farang.

A social responsibility program could be established. Tesco should be required to spend money improving the local market (cleanliness, etc.) and to find a way to buy local products to help the economy in the area. Ideally, market vendors could set up stalls in or outside of the Tesco so that shoppers could do one stop shopping from locals and the hypermart. :o

And herein lies the problem.

Why should a foreign owned company try and instil hygene in their competitors?

Its the filth, heat and sight of raw meat laying about in the sun that drives people to the hypermarkets.

Thais shopping with their feet here, and moneyed vested interest Thais ( a very small minority) trying to gain an advantage yet again through protectionism.

Anybody in any doubt as to why Tesco is popular should visit supercheap in Phuket. After centuries of protectionism, this is the best they can come up with. A squalid rat infested tin hut that will surely fall down and kill many of its customers in the near future.

They have no hygene, no health and safety and employ mostly burmese. There are many protruding rusty 6 inch nails well below head height and, and,.... oh I give up. Thai double standards at their best.

Any intrepid Thai reporters ever investigated there? They will have to go when it caves in!

Edited by Dupont

I've always suspected the anti-foreigner game played in the Thai language media (way more nationalistic than the post or nation) was led by people who could manage such a campaign. Who wins? Seven-eleven and the other organized operations I think. Not your average mom-and-pop places...though they were probably bated by the clever-trevors.

Yes they do... AND some places should be protected ANYWAY.. to preserve a flavor. Ma and Pa store in the Rockies ... sort of looks like an old log cabin... can not complete with the 7-11 across the street.. and shouldn't have to as that area would not be the same place without the general store. Saying that... I love the fact that I live just a short distance from rimping, black canyon, S&P bakery, and a decent Italian place. They did drive virtually out of business our club house restaurant which served fair to poor food at expensive prices.. hmm let me rethink this.. I want VERY VERY low prices but amazing customer service with people helping me that really know what they are talking about. What I am trying to say is I want my cake and eat it too. Is that asking so much... :o

PM asked to overrule Tesco plan

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

More than 100 people from Suphan Buri's Sam Chuk district rallied at Government House yesterday, urging Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to revoke a licence for a Tesco Lotus hypermarket and protect a renowned century-old market.

They said the licence was granted to Tesco in March by Sam Chuk municipality. The store is to be located on Highway No. 340 (Suphan Buri-Chai Nat) near Sam Chuk junction, only one kilometre from the Sam Chuk market.

-Bangkok Post

Its called progress every western country has passed through this, now its the time for the others, there will be no stopping it in a democratic country!! :o