Colorado Supreme Court to hear Trump 14th Amendment appeal

CharlieH

image.png

The Colorado Supreme Court agreed late Tuesday to take up a case weighing whether to bar former President Trump from the 2024 ballot under the 14th Amendment.

A lower court last week found that the former president engaged in insurrection by inciting the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot but determined the constitutional prohibition on holding office after engaging in “insurrection or rebellion” did not apply to the presidency.

Trump in his appeal to the Colorado Supreme Court said he agreed with the latter part of the ruling keeping him on the state’s ballot but is appealing on other issues.

“But the district court nonetheless made legal and factual findings wholly unsupported in the law, and these errors demand review – especially if the Petitioners in this matter also seek review of the sole dispositive issue upon which President Trump prevailed,” Trump’s attorneys wrote.

Left-leaning group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), which filed the lawsuit on behalf of four Republicans and two independent Colorado voters, asked the state’s top court to rule that the amendment does indeed apply to the presidency.

THEHILL-250.png

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Colorado Supreme Court removes Trump from state's 2024 ballot

No, I don't agree with this. The voters, not the courts, should choose candidates.

The US Supreme Court will strike this down. 

A better link, https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/19/politics/trump-colorado-supreme-court-14th-amendment/index.html

I agree with the reasoning, it makes his misdeeds here very clear. But yes, SC will strike it down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Colorado Supreme Court removes Trump from state's 2024 ballot

No, I don't agree with this. The voters, not the courts, should choose candidates.

The US Supreme Court will strike this down. 

I beg to differ the court isn’t choosing they are ruling on the law that trump lead an insurrection because he lost the election therefore he can’t run,I’m sure he will blovate lie cry ect ect and appeal it would be wonderful if it’s upheld it’s definitely a black eye to a rational person 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tug said:

I beg to differ the court isn’t choosing they are ruling on the law that trump lead an insurrection because he lost the election therefore he can’t run,I’m sure he will blovate lie cry ect ect and appeal it would be wonderful if it’s upheld it’s definitely a black eye to a rational person 

Trump hasn't even been charged with insurrection, let alone been tried and found guilty.

This is banana republic stuff.

Imagine if the Georgia state courts removed Biden from the ballot because of his insurrection?

What Biden insurrection? That's my point, as long is being an insurrectionist is subjective, any court can remove any candidate.