Mare Mar has started limping – looking for advice please.

My wife’s widowed cousin recently passed away and she had a dog that she loved dearly.

So we decided to take it back home with us. The dog ( a bitch ) named mare mar looks like its getting on in years and is very loving and friendly. Ive recently noticed that that mare mar is starting to limp a bit on her front right leg . Ive had a look at her leg and it looks like she may be suffering from some form of arthritis ( swelling of a leg joint ) 

In the area where we live there are no vets , the nearest vet is about 175km round trip, and currently my pickup is out of action . So before we make that long journey to the nearest vet , I’m wondering if theres some sort of pain killer that I can give mare mar in the meantime to hopefully ease her pain.

Any advice or suggestions please .

Thanks

Vet Vader is luckily a 10-15 minutes ride away. Even so, when calling him to ask about something or make an appointment, he often asks we take a pic and send him first. At least half the time he comes back with a diagnosis and treatment that does not require our girl making the trip. We just stop, take the medicine or whatever and that's it.

Might be worth checking if this is something 'your' vet would go for.

Hope she'll get better.

• Like 2

The go-to pain relief for dogs is usually Rimadyl/Carprofen but it's not something you should be self administering without a vet. It can be very hard on the liver and kidneys, as well as potentially causing ulcers and other gastro problems.  As a minimum, you should do her blood work before starting her on it, especially if she might be on it long term.

• Thanks 1