Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Moving and storage services? Failed marriage

notrub

My pre-nup is good but my wife will not go.  (Notrub  here) She will get the land, houses, pool and all that but I want to take the contents and store them for use later.  Do moving & storage companies exist here in Thailand?  I thought about just burning the place down but cannot get into that level of destruction however satisfying it might be to imagine.   Thanks for any comments🙏💛💙

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I know that there are such services on offer in Thailand. We were looking into it some years back when I had to relocate for a while. Seemed efficient, pro, good English spoken by rep. The Mrs. came to her senses and decreed it was a waste of money (was definitely not cheap) so we found an alternative solution. Should be more of them about nowadays. I'll try ask the Mrs. for details. As I recall, the major component was the storage bit. This was in Bangkok, btw.

What I do recall - we were staying at rented apartment, and there was a requirement that we either produce a written statement by owner/management regarding furniture that came with the place, or that someone will be present when packing/moving. It would seem reasonable to assume that in your case something like that may be required as well. They ain't in the business of getting caught in the middle of fight.

15 minutes ago, Morch said:

I know that there are such services on offer in Thailand. We were looking into it some years back when I had to relocate for a while. Seemed efficient, pro, good English spoken by rep. The Mrs. came to her senses and decreed it was a waste of money (was definitely not cheap) so we found an alternative solution. Should be more of them about nowadays. I'll try ask the Mrs. for details. As I recall, the major component was the storage bit. This was in Bangkok, btw.

What I do recall - we were staying at rented apartment, and there was a requirement that we either produce a written statement by owner/management regarding furniture that came with the place, or that someone will be present when packing/moving. It would seem reasonable to assume that in your case something like that may be required as well. They ain't in the business of getting caught in the middle of fight.

As always Google is your friend, I searched "furniture and storage companies in Thailand".  Got some responses.

Other search words will probably reveal even more providers.

Good luck.

But note, storage in secure vermin proof facilities (if that's what you want) is far from cheap long-term.

• Like 1

Of course, there are moving companies in Thailand. Storage as well.

But, as you might imagine, they are very "local" businesses, so it depends on where you are.

Here in Bangkok, I have been very happy with a moving company named "Good Move":

https://www.goodmove-th.com/

They have moved me three times, each time a townhouse full of stuff.

A little more expensive, but very professional.

Never needed storage, but considered it once and found many storage places online.

Again, in Bangkok.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

Of course, there are moving companies in Thailand. Storage as well.

But, as you might imagine, they are very "local" businesses, so it depends on where you are.

Here in Bangkok, I have been very happy with a moving company named "Good Move":

https://www.goodmove-th.com/

They have moved me three times, each time a townhouse full of stuff.

A little more expensive, but very professional.

Never needed storage, but considered it once and found many storage places online.

Again, in Bangkok.

We used them for moving once, were very happy with the service.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, notrub said:

My pre-nup is good but my wife will not go.  (Notrub  here) She will get the land, houses, pool and all that but I want to take the contents and store them for use later.  Do moving & storage companies exist here in Thailand?  I thought about just burning the place down but cannot get into that level of destruction however satisfying it might be to imagine.   Thanks for any comments🙏💛💙

Move the contents out into the yard and burn them !!

• Haha 1

It depends on where you are and where do you want to be.

There are storage and move facilities here on Samui.

Just a thought. I rent a small Thai place (I call them pig sty design). A row of single bedroom 'chalet's' in a terrace with a living area, kitchen and toilet. 2.000 THB a month. Electricity/water minimal. Samui is probably an expensive area compared to many places. We store stuff for guests/friends who come every year. Now and again, new staff will doss down there whilst they sort their lives out.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Been there done that! As suggested get rid of 99% by selling, dumping, give to charities.

But be a little wary. I called 4 different religious charity organizations in Sydney and asked if they would take (at no cost to them)  a whole apartment of furniture, appliances, blankets, etc., most fairly new and all in good condition.

A summary of the responses:

- "We charge AUD200 to visit and look at what you want to give away and we charge between AUD250 to AUD500 for transport plus fees for however many workers will be needed". 

Then I spoke to a nearby RSL Lifecare War Vets village. They asked for a few photos, I sent the photos.

Their immediate response give us a date we will have a team of RSL Lifecare volunteers take care of the whole situation to fit out a nearby  empty apartment for a severely disabled army nurse.

They also did a good clean up.

Cost me nothing. 

Sounds good. Win/win.

I know a wealthy woman in Bangkok who is old and knows that her time on earth is limited. She had a huge collection of valuable books and she wanted to donate them (I think to a university or similar). They insisted that she has to catalogue all the books with detailed information. The info on the spine was not good enough. Then they would consider accepting the donation.

She did what they wanted. Amazing.

I would have told them take it or leave it. It's a strange world out there where you have to pay or work to donate valuable things. 

• Like 1

OP - told your story to a friend here (not a member of this forum), and he reminded me of a mutual acquaintance, who was in a somewhat similar situation to yours (much younger wife, though, if of dubious background).

That ended with the (ex)-wife and her 'cousin' getting a bare-boned house. No fixtures, no doors, no window panes, taps dismantled. Hired a small macro to take out larger plants from garden (donated), then filled the already drained pool with the left over soil (as you mentioned, pump taken as well).

As far as I understand he's at the other side of the country nowadays, with a younger girlfriend, and a smaller house - I would guess both 'rentals'.

Dear Morch,  My idea too!  Thank you.  My home is typical concrete slab, columns with siporex (Diamond) block walls.  Removing my stuff could include electric consumer units (trimming the conduit above and below the panel with an angle grinder) removing doors and windows and filling pool pipes and well (pump dth) with cement.  Excuse me; getting a bit carried away there...  The value of what I would take away is peanuts compared to the cost of land, house, services, well etc. etc. but it would make me feel better.  Much, much better... even if the stuff rots in a garage. I built the house and paid for it and the contents b4 we married and the pre-nup states specifically that she has zero claim to anything pre marriage. I could bulldoze the buildings but that is not on the cards (for now).  Thanks again. 🙏🏼💛💙

Edited by notrub
forgot 🙏🏼
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, notrub said:

Dear Morch,  My idea too!  Thank you.  My home is typical concrete slab, columns with siporex (Diamond) block walls.  Removing my stuff could include electric consumer units (trimming the conduit above and below the panel with an angle grinder) removing doors and windows and filling pool pipes and well (pump dth) with cement.  Excuse me; getting a bit carried away there...  The value of what I would take away is peanuts compared to the cost of land, house, services, well etc. etc. but it would make me feel better.  Much, much better... even if the stuff rots in a garage. I built the house and paid for it and the contents b4 we married and the pre-nup states specifically that she has zero claim to anything pre marriage. I could bulldoze the buildings but that is not on the cards (for now).  Thanks again. 🙏🏼💛💙

Made further inquiries - the guy passed away last year, in his sleep and in the arms of his much younger (and apparently, nicer) girlfriend. May we all know such peace when our time comes.

Turns out there was more to it than I was aware of - after the concrete/walls/roof steps, most of the other stuff he put by himself (knew he had good hands), and so dismantling the place with proper tools and know-how wasn't that hard. Some of the stuff went into the soil filled pool, other (like teak wood doors) was gifted to a local carpenter the (ex)wife had problems with, and same with other donations/gifts. And guess you had the right idea - sockets, toilets, sinks were plugged with concrete and so on. Quite a job, and the (ex)wife did I try to sue - which went nowhere (agreements such as yours in place).

So long as you're legally covered, she's not around to cause trouble when you do this, and no one to alert her - sounds like a proper (and fun) manner of parting ways. Mrs. Morch enjoyed this story immensely (while noting that if we ever came to that, I'll be too lazy to do even half this <deleted>e).

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It depends on where you are and where do you want to be.

There are storage and move facilities here on Samui.

Just a thought. I rent a small Thai place (I call them pig sty design). A row of single bedroom 'chalet's' in a terrace with a living area, kitchen and toilet. 2.000 THB a month. Electricity/water minimal. Samui is probably an expensive area compared to many places. We store stuff for guests/friends who come every year. Now and again, new staff will doss down there whilst they sort their lives out.

I was just going to say that myself, I would look for an unfurnished terrace room for 2K a month.

Depend where you are but they seem to be everywhere, I'd take the pump from the pool as well.

• Like 1

sorry to hear about your demise again OP,  I remember your problem way back in April and I advised you to get out as staying there alone is risky and dangerous for a farang in your situation.   What happened to you is what has happened to 1 million farang so get some solace in that your not the first and won't be the last.   They are professionals at scamming, lying and cheating for there own financial gain. 

I will never ever trust one from here again ever ....    as for your furniture ... I had stuff stored for 10+ yrs and in the end I gave it all away. See if you can get a broker/buyer to come and look at it and buy the lot,  at least that way you won't ever have to worry about shifting it again.