Telephone Calls

joeuk1

When i call Thailand i dial 08449090111 first and then get conected at 4 pence a minute , when i dial the other way from Thailand to uk its exspensive , is there anyway of getting the same value calls into the uk from Thailand mobiles or landline . Mobile calls are a killer at 30 baht a minute ouch .

JB

When i call Thailand i dial 08449090111 first and then get conected at 4 pence a minute , when i dial the other way from Thailand to uk its exspensive , is there anyway of getting the same value calls into the uk from Thailand mobiles or landline . Mobile calls are a killer at 30 baht a minute ouch .

JB

You can use the 007/008 prefix from TOT

Example -

007 44 <UK area code and number> (remember to drop the first "0" from the UK area code)

007 starts from bt9 pm

008 starts from bt6 pm

totster :o

If you use your computer Try Skype dirt cheap I use 10 Euro every 2- 3 months to the U.S.. You can also call computer to computer for free.

I just saw yesterday on the internet VOIP is on the way out.

Cheers!

Edited by Beardog

If you use your computer Try Skype dirt cheap I use 10 Euro every 2- 3 months to the U.S.. You can also call computer to computer for free.

I just saw yesterday on the internet VOIP is on the way out.

Cheers!

What do you think Skype is? :o

try voipdiscount.com - free on landlines

Just looked at this and downloaded the program.

Anyone actually using this as it looks too good to be true. There must be a downside. Nothing is really free.

I have a friend who uses this all the time he's an air courier on the line about 2 hours a day at least from all over the world and since April it's cost around 120 baht he's always offering to let anyone call home on it . I think you deposit 10 Euros in your account, he's still got eight left. the system is Voip Stunt. they also allow you a trial period to make a few free calls.

I also use VOIPDiscount. But I have a small WiFi Phone which connects to VoipDiscount. I can make free calls from Thailand to any UK landline, whenever I am in range of an open wireless access point. It also works from the UK to Thailand but this time I can call Mobiles free as well as land lines!

CHris

Yes I gather you have to have 10 Euros in your acc.

As I have no credit or debit card, anyone know how I can top up?

Find a bank that will give you a prepaid Mastercard or Visa. It's one of the safest ways to shop online, and convenient too. You can also use them to get a verified Paypal account.

Find a bank that will give you a prepaid Mastercard or Visa. It's one of the safest ways to shop online, and convenient too. You can also use them to get a verified Paypal account.

Thanks Vic.

• 3 weeks later...
try voipdiscount.com - free on landlines

Just looked at this and downloaded the program.

Anyone actually using this as it looks too good to be true. There must be a downside. Nothing is really free.

If you but 10 euros credit you get 120 free days. I did and the freebie works!!!

So do you guys reconmend using VoipDiscount in Thailand even with the dodgy internet connections we have? Im about to sign up for it but I just want to make sure its going to work ok, I have a 1mb tt&t adsl connection.

So do you guys reconmend using VoipDiscount in Thailand even with the dodgy internet connections we have? Im about to sign up for it but I just want to make sure its going to work ok, I have a 1mb tt&t adsl connection.

I'm using True in Minburi (1024) and it's like being in the same room!

Stuff from the voip* people (betamax - a swiss company) has been good for some time and with voipdiscount comes out of your free time between uk and thailand and back

Now for somebody without a net connection, but with a mobile - there are some very cheap callback services - because it is cheap to call thailand and call uk - but not cheap to call out of thailand or to/from a uk mobile phone - so with a call back service it would be cheapest calling from a thai landline or mobile to a uk landline.

You'll need to search for low cost call back providers - I know they exist, but have not used them

Another interesting development is at voxalot.com - where you get a temporary local number in the 2 countries of the parties involved - sadly thailand is not included yet - and i wonder if it ever will be

I used to use the 009 prefix on my mobile to call England from Thailand. 9 baht a minute I think.

Now because I am talking to people who have computors I am using SKYPE, which is free when used between computors loaded with skype.

Just go to skype.com and follow instructions. Then E mail friend in UK and tell them how to do the same. Once set up you can talk for free.

Whats also of use, you have to put money in first if you want to phone on skype from your computor to a phone.

So if you put no money in, no one else can run up a phone bill for you.

Yahoo do the same sort of thing.

Worth you looking i would think.

Mike

Well I've just opened VoipDiscount using my TT&T Maxnet 256 and it's working reasonably OK. I've also got Skype Out and another SIP phone account that's UK (Chiswick) based called Justphone www.just-voip.net. This latter one isn't totally free but they undercut Skype wih their 0.95 pence per minute rate to UK, and an interesting bonus is that they've given me temporarily free of charge a geographical London number which UK contacts can call and it rings on my desktop here in Thailand.

There are times when Skype works rather better than the other two, and there are times when none of them work!

+ SJ

Get a webcard with this mob:

Really good, you can and should get it verified with visa. Remember to change your address from their Thai script to a simple english one or the computer falls over on checking. Links direct to your savings account.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/GlobalHome/EN/...t_ewebcard.html

I would just go with a local Thai provider in that case. Sawasdeeshop is probably the best I can recommend. (Mobile phone: http://www.deedial.com, VoIP: http://www.deecall.com). Can top up at any Family Mart. Can even get postpaid if you want, and works from your mobile phone. You can also program a local Thai number that will ring direct to the UK, so you can dial direct from your phonebook on your mobile. No computer or internet required.

They're great for UK landline.

If you want UK mobile though, it's really hard to beat just dialing 008. Blame the operators in the UK for that.