Krungsri madness - a new certificate of residence, for an existing customer ?

I am an existing customer at Krungsri and I thought, maybe opt for that 0.9% per year savings account to put / move my 800k that is parked at kbank at 0.05%

so I went in with passport, current account passbook, bank card, rental agreement

nope... not enough

need a certificate of residence...

I asked, are you joking ? I am not a new customer, even brought my name on Krungsri paper with net credit card still attached for the occasion...

new rules sir ... blabla...

they called somewhere... answer still no...

yellow book sir?  driver license sir ?   well, I live in a rented house and I take taxi as I don't have car...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, john donson said:

I am an existing customer at Krungsri and I thought, maybe opt for that 0.9% per year savings account to put / move my 800k that is parked at kbank at 0.05%

so I went in with passport, current account passbook, bank card, rental agreement

nope... not enough

need a certificate of residence...

I asked, are you joking ? I am not a new customer, even brought my name on Krungsri paper with net credit card still attached for the occasion...

new rules sir ... blabla...

they called somewhere... answer still no...

yellow book sir?  driver license sir ?   well, I live in a rented house and I take taxi as I don't have car...

Depends how easy it is for you to get about, and Banks that are near you. I would have to try and open another account somewhere else first them give them the elbow..Bangkok Bank Fixed Account (Orange Book) was paying 1.6% when i updated my book (19 Oct)  Scb ez account is paying 1.5%.....Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah the blue banks are atrocious.  As soon as I opened the door a fat cop shouted ''YOU!'' and then stared at me.  He then spoke some strange ancient language that wasn't English.

The woman behind the counter wouldn't accept a British passport, work permit and a stack of money.  She needed ''a letter from the school'' yeah we call that a work permit dumbass.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

I have a bank account with Krungthai bank.  To open a second account I needed to show a driver's license and a long term passport stay.  The banks have been told by the government to be more strict about new accounts (Chinese criminal interests have been using them). Having a Thai driver's license allows people to do more things easily.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Yeah the blue banks are atrocious.  As soon as I opened the door a fat cop shouted ''YOU!'' and then stared at me.  He then spoke some strange ancient language that wasn't English.

The woman behind the counter wouldn't accept a British passport, work permit and a stack of money.  She needed ''a letter from the school'' yeah we call that a work permit dumbass.

Ahhh...you're a "teacher".  QED.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, john donson said:

I am an existing customer at Krungsri and I thought, maybe opt for that 0.9% per year savings account

Well, I opened five accounts with Krungsri earlier this week and wasn't asked for any ID beyond my passport.

Incidentally, if you're looking to park your money, why not go for a fixed deposit? 48 months fixed is paying 2.5% p.a..  If you don't want to lock your money up for that long, 14 months is 2.2% p.a..

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Well, I opened five accounts with Krungsri earlier this week and wasn't asked for any ID beyond my passport.

Incidentally, if you're looking to park your money, why not go for a fixed deposit? 48 months fixed is paying 2.5% p.a..  If you don't want to lock your money up for that long, 14 months is 2.2% p.a..

blimey, i'm getting over 5% in the uk, no strings...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

blimey, i'm getting over 5% in the uk, no strings...

santander?

in europe they give half... 2.8 if you are lucky

weird company... how come they can do it there and not neighbor countries?

banking system... you deposit 100.000 pounds / euros /dollar

they only have to keep 10% in reserve

they can just add a 0 and lend out 9-10x  your 100.000 whatever at 4-8%

so 1.000.000 whatever at 4-8% for them and you get a pittance of a few percent for your own money

that is for people that thai banks could not support to give 4-5% ... they are making 10x with your money

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, Henryford said:

Wasn't enough for SCB to open an account even though i had the driving licence, utility bill and chanote which all confirmed my address.

Same for me last year at SCB. I showed them DL, WP, yellow book, pink id and bank book for existing account there.

No - COR please.

Opened two accounts at Krungsri instead. (I did not need anything there except passport last year.)

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

I really wonder how they can lend out 10 times the money they get in.

I'm sure you can enlighten us all on that

It's called fractional reserve banking my friend. He's 100% correct. Biggest scam on the planet and not 1 in 10,000 are aware of it. 

• Thumbs Up 2