Online quality engine oil

cheeryble

I think I’m going to go full synthetic in future, and also change oil and filter at least every 8000 km. In fact, would prefer even shorter intervals.

It seems not difficult to get many hundred thousand kilometers out of a decent engine with this simple change.

question is, can the extra cost be ameliorated?

I had a quick look at Lazada offerings, and some of the synthetics seem very cheap indeed, even for name brands, compared to others.

can anyone who’s been through the same search and decision process recommend particular products?

any other intelligent tips would be welcome. Here are our cars:

Toyota Sienta 2019 approx 40k km. FSH.

Honda Jazz 2006 iDSL 228k km.

Honda CRV 2003 speedo believed changed but may be ca. 80k km. Serviced by Honda.

all three cars have no smoke, no leaks, no noises.

the Jazz had only water instead of coolant when I bought it, now coolant.

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 for my Toyota truck for the last 5 years with oil changes every year and a 1042 BOSCH Filter that I buy off of Lazada-Happy travels and Good Luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 for my Toyota truck for the last 5 years with oil changes every year and a 1042 BOSCH Filter that I buy off of Lazada-Happy travels and Good Luck.

10w-40 here? Better 20w-50. Not worried about it starting in the cold weather are you? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Be careful putting a fully Synthetic enging oil into the two older cars ... good chance that it will cause the crankshaft oil seals to start leaking..

I wouldnt recommend anyhing other than Mobile 1 for the newer car. Yes,and as said above use a quality oi filter.

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

The three types of engine oil are mineral oil with EP additives, half synthetic, and full synthetic. The mineral oil is the least expensive, full synthetic most expensive.

Mineral oil/ EP should be good for up to 10,000 km. Full synthetic, 20 - 30,000 km.

My elderly Vios gets a 50% synthetic which is changed out every 5000 km. My mechanic swears the car will outlast me, and he is probably right.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cheeryble said:

I think I’m going to go full synthetic in future, and also change oil and filter at least every 8000 km. In fact, would prefer even shorter intervals.

It seems not difficult to get many hundred thousand kilometers out of a decent engine with this simple change.

question is, can the extra cost be ameliorated?

I had a quick look at Lazada offerings, and some of the synthetics seem very cheap indeed, even for name brands, compared to others.

can anyone who’s been through the same search and decision process recommend particular products?

any other intelligent tips would be welcome. Here are our cars:

Toyota Sienta 2019 approx 40k km. FSH.

Honda Jazz 2006 iDSL 228k km.

Honda CRV 2003 speedo believed changed but may be ca. 80k km. Serviced by Honda.

all three cars have no smoke, no leaks, no noises.

the Jazz had only water instead of coolant when I bought it, now coolant.

Do your reasearch, from my understanding is that you cant go off synthetic as then the changes to your engine is DONE

I furiously pointed this fact out to Toxxxxxa when they put in partial synthetic not taking notice of total service history Full synthetic and despite pointing this fact out to them they cannot understand whats the problem.  This seems normal for the dealershiups in LOS.  Just endless mistakes, and poor training, they get away with it with their free cofee and waiting rooms whist your car gets neglected.  Its the oppistote of most countries, I am sure the Jpy makers would cringe knowing the practices their LOS service centers are doing.  Solution? go to your local guys that have vast experience with your type, I have seen many amazing mechanics..  yes yes no fancy receipt that will impress your farang buyer... as they are clueless as well.....  The price to pay  for living  here....

I’ve been using full synthetic oil for the last five years on my little four-cylinder engine and I’ve never had any problems. I’m now also using full synthetic oil at my motorcycle. Got a lot more miles using full synthetic and I check it often and it still looks very very clean, TIT 

I would continue using whatever you have been using. If you have been using mineral oil, stick with it. 

I would also use whichever viscosity is recommended by the manufacturer, and I would pick a name brand and stick with it. I was a Castrol guy, but 25 years in a company car, I quit doing it myself. 

If you're buying on Lazada, buy from a reputable dealer.

B-Quik has a Lazada store where you pick the oil and buy the service online and get a coupon you can use at your local shop. 

Saving money on oil is like saving money on paint. When you compare the cost of oil to the cost of the vehicle, and the time and effort involved, cheaping out makes little sense. 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, JAS21 said:

Be careful putting a fully Synthetic enging oil into the two older cars ... good chance that it will cause the crankshaft oil seals to start leaking..

I wouldnt recommend anyhing other than Mobile 1 for the newer car. Yes,and as said above use a quality oi filter.

Fully synthetic oil of the vehicle manufacturer's viscosity would be my choice. Change as per recommended service interval and your engine will last the longest. Mobil 1 is worth the small extra cost in my opinion for the peace of mind knowing that you've got the best, or as good as.

I have Mercedes V-Class 250 Diesel in the UK with the computerised service schedule and it usually recommends oil change at 24,000 Miles (38,00kms). I did this on my previous vehicle and engine was still going great at 278,000 Miles (447,000KMs) with no smoke, oil consumption or turbo issues. Only thing changed was fuel injectors. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, JAS21 said:

oil seals might leak eh?

what’s the rationale behind that Jas?

On 12/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, cheeryble said:

Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series, produced 134,352 psi, and is ranked 2nd for oils “just as they come, right out of the bottle” (only Amsoil 0W20 Signature Series, was able to slightly beat it), out of 233 oils tested so far.” 
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

All the information you’ll want about motor oil.