How to fly in Thailand after giving passport to Turkish embassy to get visa

18 hours ago, Iamloki said:

It is the law, and one never knows...

So I was informed by 3 uniformed and armed Immigration officers when I was stopped in the street in front of a local hotel (only 10 mins from where I live) and asked for my Passport, which I wasn't carrying, only a copy. Which was deemed to be unacceptable as easily forged, offered Pink Card and Driving License to back it up, waved away with "means nothing to us". Let off with a warning and told to carry my passport at all times outside the house.

This wasn't recently, quite a few years ago in fact, and we are not on a heavily beaten tourist route/area either.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:04 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Technically yes, but some years ago the police officially announced that a photocopy was acceptable but the original must be available.

Later, some government department somewhere (sorry - I have a very poor memory) said that photos on a mobile phone were also acceptable.

But a photo or copy of just the details page may not be enough. One also needs photos of the visa/immigration stamp given on arrival as per the TM 30 system.

That announcement was made by the Chief of Police in Phuket...  

Shortly after, I recall another comment from a Chief of Police (in another province - I think Chonburi but am not sure), that all alients need to carry their passport.

Regardless, the statment is a 'show of intent' rather than a law... but with the initial statement it indicated an intention to remain flexible. 

The reality is - this remains somewhat of a grey area without any actual 100% legal clarification one way or the other.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:04 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Only the police can take your passport. All of the dodgy scooter rental folk (and others) demanding that you hand over your passport as deposit  - definitely illegal.

The passport is a government document, not the individual's private property.

Only the Police ??  Or also Foreign Embassies when submitting a visa application....

The question still remains - When nearly all travel recommendations and government websites of various nationalities suggest that we must carry our passport at all times - how can Embassies demand to keep someones passport when a visa application is submitted ?

10 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

So I was informed by 3 uniformed and armed Immigration officers when I was stopped in the street in front of a local hotel (only 10 mins from where I live) and asked for my Passport, which I wasn't carrying, only a copy. Which was deemed to be unacceptable as easily forged, offered Pink Card and Driving License to back it up, waved away with "means nothing to us". Let off with a warning and told to carry my passport at all times outside the house.

This wasn't recently, quite a few years ago in fact, and we are not on a heavily beaten tourist route/area either.

Wow... that kind of stinks... Knock on wood, but I never carry my passport unless going to the bank or leaving town for a couple days... I have photos of the passport, original visa and entry stamps on my phone... never had the occasion to test....

Do you carry your passport all the time now?