Bellucci olive oil

superal

Does anyone know where to buy Bellucci Olive Oil in Thailand ?  with so many fakes around and even in the big shops . I had some reasonably priced olive oil recently and it was disgusting and even gave me a sore throat . Bellucci olive oil is from Italy and has a numerical code on the bottle that can be entered into the companies app and that gives total traceability from the grove to the supermarket shelf . Spain is one of the largest growers of olive trees but for the 2nd year in a row they have suffered a drought and consequently there is a shortage of genuine olive oil .

Food products traceability methods are being used by some manufacturers and retailers with a system known as " blockchain " where the product holds a QR code that is tamper proof . Any other comments / recommendations from olive oil experts would be welcome .

"Wirecutter" a product testing site owned by the New York Times tested and rated a bunch of supermarket brand olive oils.  The BERTOLLI brand which is sold locally in Thailand came out in the top 5.   Usually not too expensive: 350-400 baht for 500ml.  I've tried it and it's lightly fragrant with a mild taste.

There were several locally sold Spanish olive oils that I really liked as I like an oil with an assertive flavor but they have disappeared from the shelves. Can't recall the names, I would just recognize the labels.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Yes I bought two bottles of Pietro Coricelli Extra Virgin from the food shop in terminal 21 at a very special price - also had a code for traceability - tried it on their website - couldn't be found and doesn't taste like it's 100% Olive Oil - smoked at a very low temperature - I ditched a bottle and a half - not such a bargain!

Personally, I like the Spanish Borges Extra Virgin although I agree Bertolli  is also good and the Spanish Carbonell is OK.

I never buy Sabroso - in my opinion poor quality.

I think it was al jazeera documentaries who did a piece on food adulteration and false labelling including the lengths the Italians go to to try to prevent it for their Olive oil - a real eye opener it was.

I love my Olive oil on bread toasted and spread with chopped tomato - very Spanish!

• Thanks 1