Consumer Warning For Pattayans...

Weho

I but a lot of products, appliances, etc. And I've regretted not selecting brands more carefully. You see, some manufacturers have NO SERVICE center in or near Pattaya. I have been told more than a few times, "you have to bring it to the service center in Bangkok", or in "Chonburi".

So when buying stuff, don't necessairly go for the lowest price... ask, and look at printed documentation that shows WHERE the frickin' service center is.

For example, I thought my water cooler had a leak... the brand is VICTOR, which I bought at Home Pro in Pattaya. I thought it needed service, and I was told to ship it or deliver it to Chonburi for service. I have no patience for this. Fortunately, the English speaking person from VICTOR in their Bangkok office suggested that most of the time, a water cooler leak is simply a slightly cracked plastic water bottle. Turns out they were right, but I was really annoyed that I might have to simply buy a new one.

I would like to say that the VICTOR brand makes good stuff, and I can recommend their products, but don't expect to get local service. For some, this may not be a problem, but I didn't like the prospect of having to schlep to Chonburi.

One other issue: as Home Pro no longer sells the Victor line of water coolers, and I was in need of a replacement spigget, I was in a bind... since Home Pro no longer sold the replacement part. BIG C sells Victor, but they don't sell the replacement parts. VICTOR told me they could send it from Bangkok, but they would need a wire transfer, and it was a big ordeal. Other brands sell replacement parts all over.

But this is all very bittersweet, as I really believe the VICTOR water cooler is good quality.

A while back, I needed a repair on a washing machine, a General Electric I also bought at Home Pro. Their service center is in Bangkok, so if you live in Pattaya, they wanted to charge something like 1,500 baht EXTRA to get the guys to come out... this while still UNDER warranty. Naturally, I protested, and they lost face, and caved in, and didn't charge me. They said something like, "we can come out in three weeks"... I protested further, and made them come out THE SAME DAY, which they did, at no charge. So, their service ended up being pretty good, but I would have rather dealt with a company that had a local service center, like some of the others do.

Let the buyer beware.

Weho has a point though. A warranty is a warranty and hold these flashy western-style showroom sales enterprises feet to the fire on them. If they want to sell western-style appliances in a western-style showroom, they can start to provide western-style after sales support. I am pretty sure that when they are awarded sales rights for imported or brand-name locally assembled products, they are obliged to supply warranty support as part of the agreement with the manufacturer/distributor. In Weho's case, that B1500 callout fee they asked for is probably already covered in the manufacturer/dealer contract but the local service manager is just trying to milk the system.... my, how unusual. They backed down and went to same-day service because if Weho had taken it to the head-office and manufacturer (and somehow you just know he would), they would have shown that someone was on a scam locally, loss of face, etc..

Quality of service? I bought a brand-name, mid-range combo CD/DVD/FM player at PowerBuy at Tuckom last January and they completed and stamped the warranty card at point of sale. During the next few weeks it started to lock up playing DVD's. I returned it under warranty in April and was told it would be sent to Bangkok under the 1-year manufacturers warranty and received a ticket to that effect. Last time I passed through, it was 'still in Bangkok' and I told them that's long enough already and maybe they should just give me a new one. My girlfriend suggested just a little patience as things are slower here. However, now it's been 3 months and she is off down there tomorrow to read the riot act since they have now exceeded her patience. Either a full refund or a direct replacement will be her tack and I will be interested in what they do (since I aint in town right now). Somehow, I think someone at PowerBuy will be losing face poongnee as women can get real stroppy.... as you know.

Homepro guarantees satisfaction. I purchased a 33,000 bath bed from Synda - soft - ultra comfortable. The only problem was it was so soft that where I slept the bed had permanent indentations. It was as if you sleeping on a camel. After 3 months Synda came from HomePro, looked at the bed and arranged to pick it up and take it to Bangkok. I was told 1 week to fix, but it arrived in 2 weeks and only half-assed fixed. They charged me 500 baht for transportation.

We turned the mattress as advised, but after 4 more months, it was worse considering they never fixed it properly in the first place.

I went to Homepro.

Same thing happened, the Synda guy came to the house, looked at the bed and arranged to have it picked up. Synda came as promised, gave us a 4 inch bed to replace my foot tall bed and off they went. 1 week but after a week my wife got the call demanding 2000 baht.

I went crazy and told her to translate my words exactly - "Tell those pieces of human shit that my warrant says 15 years FREE and it says it in Thai and English, they can go <deleted> themselves."

We will call you back they said. I went to Homepro.

I told Homepro that my money was paid to them, not Synda and I was holding them responsible for the repair of my bed. A very nice english speaking customer liaison at Homepro brought over the Synda guy and translated my demands. Phone calls were made, nervous glances to me from the Synda guy but he never looked me in the eye -

Finally - no 2000 baht charge - they will fix the bed properly - I told Homepro that if they did not I was bringing the bed back to Homepro for a full refund.

Not sure what they did, but the bed is fixed and appears to be less soft - it is possible they put in heaver springs. My wife likes the bed better now that it is firmer and it is even.

Grab their balls like a pit bull and twist until they relent.

Weho has a point though. A warranty is a warranty and hold these flashy western-style showroom sales enterprises feet to the fire on them. If they want to sell western-style appliances in a western-style showroom, they can start to provide western-style after sales support;

and what about the western style prices............ that may be the consequence!!!!!

I would like to say that the VICTOR brand makes good stuff, and I can recommend their products

Victor is bush league when it comes to quality made water coolers, I dug deep and bought a Mazuna Brand - total quality thru and thru.

Only the best for Nan! Jimmy, where did you get the Mazuna and how much did you pay? Does it also have a hot-water spigot as well as the cold?