Farangs Retired In Thailand

keestha

Never boring in Thailand. I only have 3 family members left back in my home country, so not much to miss with that. Much restaurant food back home is microwaved slop for $10 + per plate, so not much to miss about that. I spend time on computer, watch DVD's (at a fraction of the cost back home), travel to interesting places. I have made more friends in Thailand in 3 years, than I made in several years working at my last place of residence. Social life back home would be listening to brain dead retirees talk about thier golf scores & hope for a date with some available Grandmother, if I got lucky. Quite a different scene here with the ladies, but really have to watch the money suckers. Dishonest & money grubbing ladies are the # 1 downer to living here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don’t understand why people ask dumb questions like this (or 99% of the other dumb questions on Thai Visa for that matter)

We do basically what You do…in almost every Country of This World,…LIVE

For all the reply by old farts here bar fine-in 20 year old as a matter of daily fun…Well this is a reason Visa’s are getting harder to get & ONE of the reasons Why Thai xenophobia is getting so much stronger…Dirty Old Men springs to mind

For others who, Internet , watch dvd’s, go shopping????, phone people????? Etc etc etc…why not read the replies you give they are so totally benign and boring ..now I understand why most of the expats I see daily look so depressed, What a life in your Paradise you lead

:o

I just don’t understand why people ask dumb questions like this (or 99% of the other dumb questions on Thai Visa for that matter)

For all the reply by old farts here bar fine-in 20 year old as a matter of daily fun…Well this is a reason Visa’s are getting harder to get & ONE of the reasons Why Thai xenophobia is getting so much stronger…Dirty Old Men springs to mind

For others who, Internet , watch dvd’s, go shopping????, phone people????? Etc etc etc…why not read the replies you give they are so totally benign and boring ..now I understand why most of the expats I see daily look so depressed, What a life in your Paradise you lead

:D

I just don't understand why people ask dumb questions like this (or 99% of the other dumb questions on Thai Visa for that matter)

For all the reply by old farts here bar fine-in 20 year old as a matter of daily fun…Well this is a reason Visa's are getting harder to get & ONE of the reasons Why Thai xenophobia is getting so much stronger…Dirty Old Men springs to mind

For others who, Internet , watch dvd's, go shopping????, phone people????? Etc etc etc…why not read the replies you give they are so totally benign and boring ..now I understand why most of the expats I see daily look so depressed, What a life in your Paradise you lead

Very enlightening, Terryp, I never knew it was only old men and only farangs who patronise the vice trade there.

Get real, man.

The OP's question is entirely valid and I doubt that he will find many people being completely honest and saying, yes, I do get bored - I certainly do and the other farangs I know are the same. Those that say they have hobbies or family to keep them busy, congratulations, you've organized your retirement well and have prepared for it. However those that sit in beer bars all day I suggest will have a short retirement or will get fed up with it over time.

I'm annoyed that the Thai government has missed a real opportunity with expat retirees in Thailand. The combination of experience and knowledge could easily be put to very good use in helping the country develop and I doubt (or perhaps I should say I like to think) that most would not want remuneration for such skills transfer and would feel happy to have made a contribution and to have spent their time doing something constructive. I'm also slightly surprised that no expat has come up with some ingenious idea for harnessing this talent and putting it to good use although it might be that it's simply not dooable. But I do think that the first step in all of this is for folks to admit that boredom is a problem.

Boredom was a problem for me in America, but it never is here.

(snip)

So Terry, you remain subscribed to Thai Visa for the 1% of non-'dumb' questions? BTW, have you checked the board rules lately? :o

Ah Terry. Now we know what the "p" stands for at the end of your Thai Visa screen name. :D

There are quite a few expat retirees on this forum, and others who aspire to retire in Thailand. Often these people are not so old at all, just fifty something or even younger. The retirees, are they happy here and don't they get bored? Living here, they are far away from their family, and also building up a satisfying social life here is probably more difficult than maintaining the social life they have in their home country. In general, I'm just wondering how they keep themselves occupied, in other words what they are doing with all their time.

There are quite a few expat retirees on this forum, and others who aspire to retire in Thailand. Often these people are not so old at all, just fifty something or even younger. The retirees, are they happy here and don't they get bored? Living here, they are far away from their family, and also building up a satisfying social life here is probably more difficult than maintaining the social life they have in their home country. In general, I'm just wondering how they keep themselves occupied, in other words what they are doing with all their time.

I have no social life and don't miss having one. As far as activities, I have MANY projects started and just can't seem to find the time to finish any of them. I am in training to because a world class procrastinator. I just have too many books to read and the Internet has too many interesting things on it for me to work. What an ugly word. I can't believe that I typed it without choking. I did that ugly chore most of my life and I'm REAL happy to be done with it. Don't feel sorry for me. :o

Amen. It took a few months to decompress, but now I find the days flying by and I always have things I want to do, but haven't yet found the time to get around to.

I rarely sleep past six in the morning and most mornings get to the beach early for a few hours of reading and watching other people working. Afternoon and evenings vary depending on things which need to get done and on-going projects. I do a fair amount of reading, but spend less time watching TV or using the Internet than I would have expected.

Have zero interest in doing the bars or other commercial-touristy "social activities." A few days in Bangkok every month or two for the malls and a change of pace.

Most of my working life was spent managing people and keeping them on task and assessing what was actually being achieved and accounting for time and money... It took awhile to get over the worry that there were times when a lot of time was spent with little being accomplished. How would I explain that in a report?

Now I can sit in a beach chair with someone massaging my feet for an hour as I watch the waves or the people around me or I read a mystery. It's a skill and it doesn't come easy to many people, but it's well worth the effort... and in the end there's no report to be filed or rationalizing that needs to be done.

Edited by Kaojai

I agree with the posters that it must be a really boring life there.

Sunshine every day, nothing to do but lie on the beach being massaged, having a rather young tasty girl peel grapes for me.

And the evenings, nothing but night life and girls and more night life and girls.

I guess I'd better stay here, freeze my butt off in winter, pay exorbitant rents and high prices for everything where I don't get continually pestered by women,

Yes, it's much more interesting here.

well for what it matters i have a good idea what i would do given half the chance.

Rise about 9ish (probably with somebody helping me to rise!)

Have a light bfast then out either to the gym or possibly joining one of the many golf groups.

If not golfing, after the gym have nice lunch, followed by some time on the beach (this is theoretically living in Pattaya!)

Then mid-afternoon 'entertainment' (ooh i love afternoon entertainment!) oil massage or possibly soi 6, welkomm in or possibly a pre-arranged meeting with a 'regular' ladyfriend.

return home have a quite hour or two, possibly a little nap, then later sort myself out and once again out to any one of numerous bars, possibly with buddies for a bar hop, cinema or even stay in! with girlfriend, nice meal, dvd etc.

This might be something akin to a typical day, but also throw in visiting other places (occasional bk visits) learning thai language

If i did live there (sigh) curiously after my holiday exeriences i suspect i wouldn't go out to the gogos or bars every night, I would be too drained, Also i would hopefully have met a longterm partner!

Cheers Wap

Like most everyone else I would never consider returning to lands of ice and snow for any reason. But I am surprised that I have not read of anyone else spending half their day exploring the metaverse on Secondlife(.com).

My experience is that who had a life has got a life in LoS, who run away with no life, never get one in loS, then of course is better to have sex with a 25 yrs old prostitute rather than going dinner with a grandma in USA........but my point is that in USA you can get both if you pay and look for it, in LoS only the first.

LoS as a choice is a great CHOICE, LoS as "last beach" can be devastating (after all....it is still the n.1 country in the world for balconydiving)

well for what it matters i have a good idea what i would do given half the chance.

Rise about 9ish (probably with somebody helping me to rise!)

Have a light bfast then out either to the gym or possibly joining one of the many golf groups.

If not golfing, after the gym have nice lunch, followed by some time on the beach (this is theoretically living in Pattaya!)

Then mid-afternoon 'entertainment' (ooh i love afternoon entertainment!) oil massage or possibly soi 6, welkomm in or possibly a pre-arranged meeting with a 'regular' ladyfriend.

return home have a quite hour or two, possibly a little nap, then later sort myself out and once again out to any one of numerous bars, possibly with buddies for a bar hop, cinema or even stay in! with girlfriend, nice meal, dvd etc.

This might be something akin to a typical day, but also throw in visiting other places (occasional bk visits) learning thai language

If i did live there (sigh) curiously after my holiday exeriences i suspect i wouldn't go out to the gogos or bars every night, I would be too drained, Also i would hopefully have met a longterm partner!

Cheers Wap

If I understand your post correctly you are going to have breakfast followed by sex several times a day followed by more food and a DVD or two. You will restrain yourself from visiting go-gos every night and possibly join a golf club. Dream on young Brit, dream on. This thread's about what people do after they pass through that initial (and several subsequent) phase of being an expat in Thailand. Having said all of that, I do hope the daydreaming brought you comfort during the rain.

Lemme see...

Saturday made 3k Baht hiring the 6 mtr truck out while I sat watching the fish in my 1.8 metre dia pool, looked internet, learned a bit more Thai, watched some UBC, had a beer or 3 amongst other things, went to bed.

Sunday morning went to the market then took the family to a waterfall where they sat and had a whiskey or several and I laid back and watched people having fun frolicking in the water. Came back looked internet, e-mail, sat and watched the fish, had a beer or 3 and watched UBC, went on the computer.

Monday took family member to hospital, went shopping, checked the truck over, sorted internet for a friend, came home watched the fish, UBC, internet.

Eating, sleeping, drinking, !watching the fish!, listening to the birds sing, seeing butterflies zimming about, walking, going places, talking to family - usually over a few beers, internet, e-mail, UBC, music, going restaurant, going pub, days out, trips to BKK, afternoon naps in air conditioned bedroom when too hot, sex, cleaning the car, using the camcorder to make short movies and editing them, photography ... too many other things to mention, like the odd wind-up on the internet (ahem).

Yeah, life is sooooo hard.

Lemme see...

Saturday made 3k Baht hiring the 6 mtr truck out while I sat watching the fish in my 1.8 metre dia pool, looked internet, learned a bit more Thai, watched some UBC, had a beer or 3 amongst other things, went to bed.

Sunday morning went to the market then took the family to a waterfall where they sat and had a whiskey or several and I laid back and watched people having fun frolicking in the water. Came back looked internet, e-mail, sat and watched the fish, had a beer or 3 and watched UBC, went on the computer.

Monday took family member to hospital, went shopping, checked the truck over, sorted internet for a friend, came home watched the fish, UBC, internet.

Eating, sleeping, drinking, !watching the fish!, listening to the birds sing, seeing butterflies zimming about, walking, going places, talking to family - usually over a few beers, internet, e-mail, UBC, music, going restaurant, going pub, days out, trips to BKK, afternoon naps in air conditioned bedroom when too hot, sex, cleaning the car, using the camcorder to make short movies and editing them, photography ... too many other things to mention, like the odd wind-up on the internet (ahem).

You forgot to say, visit to ATM many times :o

Cheers Wap

If I understand your post correctly you are going to have breakfast followed by sex several times a day followed by more food and a DVD or two. You will restrain yourself from visiting go-gos every night and possibly join a golf club. Dream on young Brit, dream on. This thread's about what people do after they pass through that initial (and several subsequent) phase of being an expat in Thailand. Having said all of that, I do hope the daydreaming brought you comfort during the rain.

i must admit i see your point, but if i was over there as you can see from the end of my note, i think i would lead a quite quiet life after an initial blast'

ps thanks for calling me young! now that is a dream!! (age 52 and counting)

Typically, I go out exploring the roads and towns of Thailand (believe me theres plenty) and get my projects worked on.

Foods usually two to three times a day. Usually a McDonalds type or proper meal and the others are vendor food from the roadside. As long as you do some exercise each morning it keeps you healthy.

Surf the net, go on TV.

Drinking in moderation, smoking in moderation, sex in moderation.

DVDs and movies at night. Hardly watch TV unless at Gfs place.

Hang out with the fellow bar flys and beery sages on some nights to catch up on the gossip and whats going on.

Yeah some of the guys are a little crazy and eccentric but they make the place interesting! :D I'd typically rather see the real characters, rogues and expats than a bunch of boring 2 weeker family tourists anyday of the week.

I cruise the bar scene occasionally to see if theres any talent worth a 'dance' or possibly more for mia noi action etc.

Typically if your a single dude too much sex can leave you burnt out so contrary to what the whiners and moaners think its not all sex and booze. As one fellow swordsman pointed out the no1 enemy for single men-about-town is the money suckers / vampires who can bleed you dry. So keeping a sharp grip on your finances is paramount.

Married farang to their mias typically don't party as much as the single guys but they occasionally roam onto the happy hunting grounds for some action so its all kinda one big adventure :o

I love that fact that the puritanical neo-pious folk whine and tut-tut about us sugar daddies / free-riders / successful retirees who live the good life here. Get used to the fact that we enjoy our lives squareheads, we live according to our own groove out here :D The Visa system is good enough for me to able to stay for ages without any problems. In fact its working to get rid of the dckheads who are just freeloading the place.

Some people out here in LOS often whine about the state of things

Generally have a whale of a time and hardly look back at the life I've left behind. :D

Rock hard and ride free sugar Daddies :D Yeeeaaaahhhhhh.

Edited by JimsKnight

Cheers Wap

i must admit i see your point, but if i was over there as you can see from the end of my note, i think i would lead a quite quiet life after an initial blast'

ps thanks for calling me young! now that is a dream!! (age 52 and counting)

And quite right too! I only have half a dozen years on you but came here first when I was 50 for probably all the same reasons you have. It's quite remarkable how ones interests and priorities change given a few years. Now that I understand the place and its people better I would never dream of doing the things today that I used to do at age 50. For example, I rarely if ever go to go go bars any longer because I understand only too well why the girls are working there in the first place and what their family circumstances are like at home. If I go to a beer bar I'm just as choosy about avoiding some expats as I am tourist bars. For me at least finding a long term partner was the key and that in itself takes time and can be very hard work. So, be prepared for some changes in yourself when you finally make the move.

As a retiree for 3 years now in Bangkok, I think all retirees everywhere have to try to strike a balance, or they are in danger of becoming unbalanced! This balance should be between what they do for pleasure (bar flying, sex, watching DVDs, restaurants etc) and what they do for their mind, body, family/friends and community (eg. taking classes, sports, family visits, charity work). Within each of these there are both active and passive things to balance (eg. just spending time with your kids, or actually taking them somewhere new) (OK, I can already see someone wanting to crack a joke about active/passive sex etc). In countries like Thailand, it is VERY easy to justify a life of passive pleasures as they are so readily available, easy and cheap. But without taking stock every couple of years to make sure you are striking a good balance, and the optimum balance may well vary for different individuals, then retirement could well end up sadly short, cynical and miserable. I never see anyone intent purely on passive, physical sensation in their retirement ending up in any other way. I'm not trying to act as some kind of lifestyle guru at all, I just see that as the only long-term survival strategy for retirees.

Lemme see...

You forgot to say, visit to ATM many times :D

D*mn.... I must be getting senile.... yes I did forget to mention the regular visits to the ATM.... that reminds me - have to go to the ATM... laterz :o

Those who initially fill their time with girls and nightlife, usually sooner or later end up having a wife or a steady girlfriend. When they continue visiting bars, it will be mainly to talk to expats who share their native language. Then finally their life will be more similar to the life of a fellow retitee at home than they at first would have thought possible.