Hospital recommendation for ENT procedure.

5davidhen1

Hi Folks,

I have a long history of nasal/respiratory problems. I have undergone 3 polypectomies, the last one being 30+ years ago. I had a head scan a year ago for an unrelated reason (checking for early-onset Parkinson's disease) which showed that I had chronic sinusitis. This was not news to me and, until now, I've managed my condition using saline irrigation and Betamethasone nasal drops. However, my nasal passages are now almost constantly blocked and this interferes greatly with my sleep and consequently my general well-being.

I'm not inclined to return home to the UK and surrender myself to the shambles which the NHS system has now become, so have decided to "bite the bullet" and pay for any procedure which, hopefully will improve my condition. 

Any recommendations for a hospital, particularly from anyone who has undergone an ENT procedure in or around Pattaya, with a similar condition would be greatly appreciated.

When Covid was ongoing, I had my first 2 jabs at Samitivej Hospital, Sriracha. I was impressed with the service I received but, of course, it was part of a government initiative and was therefore carried out free of charge.

You mention in or around Pattaya but I think it will be best to broaden the scope and in this respect I will move the topic to the Health Forum, people in Pattaya will still be able see your post and be able to follow the link so you will have input from both forums.

Again, a completely wrong approach.

You should be asking for best doctor recommendation, not the best hospital.

From personal experience, I doubt your condition will improve. I had a surgery done back in Canada and still suffer from the same problem. Your sinuses could also be affected by acid reflux, especially if this stuff is waking you up at night. I know it sounds boring, but change your diet. Avoid spicy food.

• Like 1

You might consider traveling outside of Thailand for lower cost and/or better quality care.

I had a valve replaced in Chennai, India.  Experienced, English-speaking surgeon, excellent conditions in the hospital.  Cost for round-trip airfare from China, surgery, follow-ups, and ten days beach resort recuperation about 10% the cost of surgery in the USA.

As for ENT, I had turbinate reduction surgery in Kunming, China to alleviate the same symptoms you now have.  Life was a misery during allergy season.  I am now cured, only need an antihistamine or shot of nasal spray when high winds pick up heavy loads of dust.  Modern private hospital comparable to the best on offer in Thailand.  My total cost was $1000, whereas my sister in the states the same year paid that much as insurance copay for the same treatment.

Hospital is not the issue. The issue is, does your problem have a surgical solution (I would not assume this)  and, if so, who is the best  surgeon to do it.

I recommend you come to Bangkok and consult Prof. Songklot at St Louis Hospital 

https://saintlouis.or.th/th/index

Or (same doctor)  at Bangkok Hospital

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/doctor/dr-songklot-aeumjaturapat

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

Again, a completely wrong approach.

You should be asking for best doctor recommendation, not the best hospital.

From personal experience, I doubt your condition will improve. I had a surgery done back in Canada and still suffer from the same problem. Your sinuses could also be affected by acid reflux, especially if this stuff is waking you up at night. I know it sounds boring, but change your diet. Avoid spicy food.

I don't generally suffer from reflux. My sleep pattern is interrupted because my nose blocks which wakes me up through lack of air/oxygen.

23 hours ago, Rimmer said:

You mention in or around Pattaya but I think it will be best to broaden the scope and in this respect I will move the topic to the Health Forum, people in Pattaya will still be able see your post and be able to follow the link so you will have input from both forums.

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, 5davidhen1 said:

I don't generally suffer from reflux. My sleep pattern is interrupted because my nose blocks which wakes me up through lack of air/oxygen.

If your problem is mainly at night consider the possibility that allergy is a factor.

Have your a/c thoroughly cleaned, also have the bedroom thoroughly cleaned and by that I mean in all the places you can't readily see -dust and mold do not have to be visible to cause an issue and the amount of same that can be present in a room that looks clean is considerable:

- under the bed

- behind the bed

- within the bed itself e.g. between mattress and box springs or board etc

- inside closets/wardrobes

- around the baseboards

- window screens, panes etc

Also consider getting allergic proof mattress and pillow covers like these

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mattress+cover+allergy&crid=28RECXP0QK4U3&sprefix=mattress+cover+allergy%2Caps%2C343&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_22

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

If your problem is mainly at night consider the possibility that allergy is a factor.

Have your a/c thoroughly cleaned, also have the bedroom thoroughly cleaned and by that I mean in all the places you can't readily see -dust and mold do not have to be visible to cause an issue and the amount of same that can be present in a room that looks clean is considerable:

- under the bed

- behind the bed

- within the bed itself e.g. between mattress and box springs or board etc

- inside closets/wardrobes

- around the baseboards

- window screens, panes etc

Also consider getting allergic proof mattress and pillow covers like these

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mattress+cover+allergy&crid=28RECXP0QK4U3&sprefix=mattress+cover+allergy%2Caps%2C343&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_22

Thank you Sheryl, but no, my problem isn't mainly at night, nor is it something new. I have had the problem over many years now --- not just in Thailand --- in fact, now I come to think of it, the problem USED TO alleviate itself greatly whenever visiting hot countries.

I have been using Betamethasone nasal drops for many years now and this usually helps, it's just that the issue has got particularly intolerable during the last 3-4 weeks.

Betamethasone instructions state that the medication should "not be used long-term", but upon being discharged from hospital, following my last (3rd) polypectomy about 30 years ago, the consultant recommended that I indeed do take it "as long as required" in an attempt to stay the need for another polypectomy.

I was a "Covid strandee" here from 2020-2022. I ran out of Betamethasone for about 9 months (couldn't find it in any Pattaya pharmacy, tried many alternatives --- nothing worked). I was in a sorry state until my daughter sent a supply over. Within a week or so, the severe symptoms receded.

I wonder if this strange weather we have been having recently has anything to do with it?