Thai taxi turmoil: Fare fight leaves traveller abandoned on road to Pattaya (video)

webfact

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

hardly out of control, sure there are some bad operators and more effective enforcement of them is needed, but this is thailand and it's not going to happen. in 20 years i've never had a issue with a taxi driver, if they quote a flat rate i decline, it's easy enough to find a driver who will use the meter. so, as they like to say here, it's up to you.

frankly, the woman was daft to get into a car she hadn't booked, very risky. any slight issue or negative intuition and i'm out of there.

Wow, good for you but if you are always using a meter you are paying 300 to 400 baht more then the standard quoted price from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Buy hey, at least you got the ride your way.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:57 AM, BritManToo said:

Shouldn't have got in the taxi, should have immediately contacted Bolt that the car arriving wasn't the car booked. She not only risked overcharging, but risked rape.

Yeah, there's some scam with this. I booked a bolt and the car with the license plate was waiting, but another vehicle pulled up and did the ride. The two drivers knew each other. I still was only asked for the app listed fare however.

Edited by JimTripper

55 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

hardly out of control, sure there are some bad operators and more effective enforcement of them is needed, but this is thailand and it's not going to happen. in 20 years i've never had a issue with a taxi driver, if they quote a flat rate i decline, it's easy enough to find a driver who will use the meter. so, as they like to say here, it's up to you.

frankly, the woman was daft to get into a car she hadn't booked, very risky. any slight issue or negative intuition and i'm out of there.

Usually takes multiple attempts in lower Sukhumvit in the morning to find a driver who will use the meter*. They are all driving around with the red light rigged "on" and no passengers - they stop by anyone with luggage asking if they are going to the airport. Can't be accused of failing to stop for others as red light on.

It is out of control. The problem is that the last Govt didn't put the meters up in line with living costs. It started with them asking Bt100 for an 80 bt trip - fair enough, probably the fair price and then the dam broke and they were asking Bt200 or even Bt300 for same trip.

* I tip them well and they very much appreciate it when I tell them I understand the meter is not fair to them