Passport expires before one year retirement Visa extension

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

@Ravi98008

You currently have an extension of stay until April 16th 2024.
Your current passport expires March 6th 2025.

Submit your extension application as normal in 2024 using existing passport.
You will however only be given permission of stay until March 6, 2025, that being the expiry date of your current passport.

Towards the end of 2024 apply for a new passport.
When you receive the new passport, take it to Immigration, and they will transfer stamps from your old passport to the new.
Your permission of stay is not affected, and you'll receive a new stamp in your new passport still permitting you to stay until March 6th 2025.

This really is a no-brainer.
If you replace your passport now, you're losing over 11 months of a perfectly valid passport, as opposed to doing your extension in 2024 as normal and lose only 5 weeks permission of stay.

Your annual extension application date will change to March 6 for future years.

This is good and correct information, if you don't mind your new extension renewal date being March 6 from now on....

Edited by kilt
  • Love It 1

True passports are not free. But good for 10 years.  However I don't want to wait till I get close to the expiration date.  I prefer to start my passport renewal process at least 6 months before expiration date.   Then my new passport is good for 9.5 Years.  

My wife's passport did expire before the 1 year of a new visa extension, so although her visa could be renewed in December until December the following year, it was renewed at the expiration date of the passport, until September the following year. Six or seven months before expiry date she did renew passport and first transfer the Visa onto the new passport, then September got one year extension to September following year.  

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

@Ravi98008

You currently have an extension of stay until April 16th 2024.
Your current passport expires March 6th 2025.

Submit your extension application as normal in 2024 using existing passport.
You will however only be given permission of stay until March 6, 2025, that being the expiry date of your current passport.

Towards the end of 2024 apply for a new passport.
When you receive the new passport, take it to Immigration, and they will transfer stamps from your old passport to the new.
Your permission of stay is not affected, and you'll receive a new stamp in your new passport still permitting you to stay until March 6th 2025.

This really is a no-brainer.
If you replace your passport now, you're losing over 11 months of a perfectly valid passport, as opposed to doing your extension in 2024 as normal and lose only 5 weeks permission of stay.

Your annual extension application date will change to March 6 for future years.

also, on the embassy web page about new passport applications, one of the qualifying questions asked is do you hae 6 months or less left on your current passport?  Not sure if you have over a year left on your passport, if they will process it or not.  Won't hurt to asked them first.

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

also, on the embassy web page about new passport applications, one of the qualifying questions asked is do you hae 6 months or less left on your current passport?  Not sure if you have over a year left on your passport, if they will process it or not.  Won't hurt to asked them first.

They will process a renewal if you have over a year left on your passport, at least they did so for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

They will process a renewal if you have over a year left on your passport, at least they did so for me.

Cannot speak for US, but if you renew a UK Passport early, the maximum they will add on is nine months...if similar for US, then OP will lose more excess months on their passport than they gain in Thai extension. 

PH

23 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Cannot speak for US, but if you renew a UK Passport early, the maximum they will add on is nine months...if similar for US, then OP will lose more excess months on their passport than they gain in Thai extension. 

PH

They will not add any extra to a UK Passport.

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Uk have stopped doing that now, if you renew your PP early you just get 10 years from the date of issue.

Based on your corrected dates, there is no great urgency to get a new passport. You can get a new annual extension but you will just lose about a month. That is allowed and not unusual. 

HOWEVER, if you want to travel keep in mind that in general you need six months passport validity to do so. 

• Love It 1

Thanks 🙏.   I understand that a passport should have at least 6 months left.  My plan is to get my retirement Visa extension stamp on posted on my old passport and apply for renewal six months before passport expiration date, which is around September 2024. . 

14 hours ago, Phulublub said:

PH

The US does not add on any extra validity time for a passport renewal.  You get 10 years.

I tend to do things at the earliest opportunity because I cannot foretell the future.  I renew my passport early enough so that I get a full-year extension of stay from Thai Immigration.   That means that every 10 years I choose to renew my passport months earlier (up to a year earlier) than required to do so.  I apply for my retirement extension of stay 45 days before my current extension expires.  I simply do not know what the future will hold.  I do not know if something will happen in the future that will impact my ability to get a passport (e.g., pandemic as happened recently, work slowdown by passport officials as happened in Britain).  A passport (or extension of stay) in the hand is worth two in the bush. ;-) 

On 12/15/2023 at 5:38 AM, Georgealbert said:

if you do not renew your passport before the extension, I believe you will get the extension to the expiry date of the passport, and that will be your new annual renewal date.

Correct The new extension will end on the passport expiry date.

After obtaining the extension, apply for a new passport and then get the stamp/s transferred.

• Thanks 1

As others have said get a new passport IMMEDIATELY. You should've done it 6 months ago.  Note the US Embassy no longer provides the letter requesting your Thai stamps be transferred to the new passport but they have a letter written in Thai and English on their website advising Thai Immigration of this new policy also that you should print out.  When you get your new passport first go to your bank/s and update them also so there is no problems getting your bank data for your extension renewal.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phulublub said:

PH

There is no limit on how early you can get a new US passport and it will have a full ten year validity.  It will not impact Thai extensions at all. I have five years left on mine but will renew next year because I want to update it with an alias.

19 hours ago, Presnock said:

This is 100% false information.  The only "6 month" reference applies to the age of the required passport photos.  

Screenshot_2023-12-16-12-32-25-285_org.mozilla.firefox-edit.jpg

On 12/15/2023 at 4:46 AM, Ravi98008 said:

My passport (USA) expires in march 2024.  Right now I have a retirement Visa extension stamp expires on April 16 2024.  When I try to apply for an extension of retirement Visa for one year in April 2024 I will have an issue with my passport because it expires in march 2024.  However a one year retirement Visa extension from April 2024 is through April 2025.  My question is should I apply for a new passport from the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy now in January 2024 so that I will get a new USA passport good for another 10 years. Thank you very much 🙏

Yes of course get your new passport NOW! I went through this very same process last year. My Passport was to expire near same time as my extension. You can apply for replacement passport 1 year in advance via BKK US Embassy, and they make it very easy as all can be accomplished online and mail the application with payment receipt, photos, etc to Embassy. I had my new one in 3 weeks delivered, never had to go to the embassy. They have a great little checklist to follow, so long as you check off all the items it is very painless.

After receipt of new PP you can take it IO for Permission to stay and relevant extensions to be transferred from the old PP or just wait for new extension renewal.

On 12/16/2023 at 12:44 PM, Soondae said:

After receipt of new PP you can take it IO for Permission to stay and relevant extensions to be transferred from the old PP or just wait for new extension renewal.

So there's no need for two separate processes: transfer stamps and extension renewal? Can all be done in one visit to CW with a new passport? 

I can just easily imagine turning up at CW for extension renewal and after 4 hours wait they say 'no no must get stamps transferred first'...

21 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

So there's no need for two separate processes: transfer stamps and extension renewal? Can all be done in one visit to CW with a new passport? 

I can just easily imagine turning up at CW for extension renewal and after 4 hours wait they say 'no no must get stamps transferred first'...

I did the transfer first as I had many months left until my next extension was due. It was painless here at Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin) immigration. Another reason to do it first would be when you have to visit your banks, phone and internet provider to update passport with them. I even stopped by my local DLT and asked if I needed to update my driver's license, they replied don't bother now and wait until it was time to renew the license. However I have seen posts on this forum of people recommend to just do both extension and transfers at same time.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:26 AM, Ravi98008 said:

I don't know how to thank you.  Because it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get a renewal processed. You are right about immediately.

In USA they are very picky about the photo paper used to print the photos.  There is a photo copy office behind Chiang Mai immigration office, can I get my USA passport photos 2×2 inch size printed by them.  Last question, I read on this forum posts from last year that the immigration office will match the validity of the retirement Visa extension with the expiration date on the passport. Thanks 🙏

Yes, they do check, or should do, so this should not happen.

Renewing your USA passport in Thailand is much faster than doing it in USA.

I did mine last year. It took 8 days for the new one to arrive at my house by post.

Remember to update the new passport with your banks and other relevant entities.

In an unprecedented turn of events, a trip to Chaeng Wattana last week was without problems. I did a transfer of stamps to a new passport and an extension on the same queue ticket. You still need both forms though, and two sets of passport copies, but only one set of bank stuff (for just the transfer of stamps, you do need the same bank stuff as for an extension, which the requirements list that accompanies the form doesn't mention). 

I was told that with a new passport you can do the next 90 days online and don't have to go in (contrary to general opinion around here). We'll see about that.

Also, the new pink line is now working, which is a boon.

Edited by Mr Derek