Passport expires before one year retirement Visa extension

My passport (USA) expires in march 2024.  Right now I have a retirement Visa extension stamp expires on April 16 2024.  When I try to apply for an extension of retirement Visa for one year in April 2024 I will have an issue with my passport because it expires in march 2024.  However a one year retirement Visa extension from April 2024 is through April 2025.  My question is should I apply for a new passport from the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy now in January 2024 so that I will get a new USA passport good for another 10 years. Thank you very much 🙏

Edited by Ravi98008
Year 2024 not 2023.

I don't know how to thank you.  Because it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get a renewal processed. You are right about immediately.

In USA they are very picky about the photo paper used to print the photos.  There is a photo copy office behind Chiang Mai immigration office, can I get my USA passport photos 2×2 inch size printed by them.  Last question, I read on this forum posts from last year that the immigration office will match the validity of the retirement Visa extension with the expiration date on the passport. Thanks 🙏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Have you posted the correct dates?

if your passport  expires in March, you cannot apply in April, on an expired passport.

You should not have got an extension pass March last year.

Should it read May not March?

I am sorry I might have posted wrong years. Current retirement Visa extension stamp expires April 2024.  USA passport expires march 6 2025.   May I please ask you if I can get another retirement Visa extension stamp from April 16 2024 through March 6th 2025. Because my passport USA expires on march 6 th 2025

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

if you do not renew your passport before the extension, I believe you will get the extension to the expiry date of the passport, and that will be your new annual renewal date.

41 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

To apply for a Thai one year visa you must have at least one full year left on your passport. If I were you I would re apply for a passport renewal immediately.

What do I do now. NONG CHOK says do a renewal immediately. Georgealbert says, that I get an extension stamp good through the USA passport expiration date March 2025.

Do I need to wait for more replies to my post 

• Sad 1

Appreciate your reply.    I would rather take the visa extension stamp expiring the same date as my passport march 6 th 2025.  Because I will have plenty of time in 2024 to get a renewed USA passport while I have a valid visa from immigration office through 2025.  What would I do if I don't get a renewed USA passport back from Bangkok Thailand USA embassy before March 2024.  

21 minutes ago, Ravi98008 said:

What do I do now. NONG CHOK says do a renewal immediately. Georgealbert says, that I get an extension stamp good through the USA passport expiration date March 2025.

Here is a link to a past thread with the same replies I gave.

• Love It 1

Just now, Ravi98008 said:

Appreciate your reply.    I would rather take the visa extension stamp expiring the same date as my passport march 6 th 2025.  Because I will have plenty of time in 2024 to get a renewed USA passport while I have a valid visa from immigration office through 2025.  What would I do if I don't get a renewed USA passport back from Bangkok Thailand USA embassy before March 2024.  

I don't believe it takes three months to get a new passport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very much appreciate your link . Some very senior members confirm your response.  Also besides you I also got similar responses from senior members myself here on my own question.   So I think that I will settle for a new retirement Visa extension stamp good through March 2025. My current retirement Visa extension stamp expires in April 16 2024. I loose less than a month. USA passport expires on March 6 th 2025.  When I get that retirement Visa extension stamp on my passport good through March 6 th 2025, I will have several months time left to stay in Chiang Mai legally and at the same time have a passport renewal processed from the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office.  With only a little over three months left on my Thai retirement Visa extension stamp April 16 th 2024, I don't want to take any chances with the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office. They could hold off on the renewal process on some technicality such as the photo paper used to print the passport photos.   Besides I need to worry about the passport being delivered late, not lost because of the advanced tracking features now in place.  

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a little over 11 months left on my passport expiration date.   Based on your response I will get those 11 months retirement Visa extension stamp on my current passport and work on getting the renewal process of my USA passport after I get that retirement Visa extension stamp posted in 2024.   

True. The Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office says 4 to 8 weeks.   If I take into consideration the worse case scenario I could loose everything ( ability to renew retirement Visa extension every year) and stuck in Chiang Mai on an expired visa.  If I don't get a renewed USA passport back from the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office in time to get a new retirement Visa extension stamp in April 16 2024.  However if I have the previlege of getting a less than a year retirement Visa extension stamp on my passport, I would say that it is a far better option. Because the only worse case scenario I won't have to face would be living in Chiang Mai without a valid passport but a valid visa . Once I mail the passport my clock starts counting down 110 days, before I can get a new visa extension stamp. But when I mail my passport after I get that retirement Visa extension stamp posted on it good through March 6 2025, I have 300 plus days to count down. A better option. Subject to the fact that a one year validity on the passport is not mandatory to get a one year retirement Visa extension stamp.  Thanks 🙏

1 hour ago, Ravi98008 said:

I am sorry I might have posted wrong years. Current retirement Visa extension stamp expires April 2024.  USA passport expires march 6 2025.   May I please ask you if I can get another retirement Visa extension stamp from April 16 2024 through March 6th 2025. Because my passport USA expires on march 6 th 2025

no problem

• Love It 1

The visa will be stamped until your passport expires, after you get your new passport you'll need to apply for another visa. Renew your passport NOW.

• Thanks 1

The Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office says 4 to 8 weeks.   

If I don't get a renewed USA passport back from the Bangkok Thailand USA embassy office in time to get a new retirement Visa extension stamp in April 16 2024.

I understand you're anxious about a passport renewal, but the process works.  You might just be over thinking the whole thing, you have a lot of "ifs".

Assuming I have it correct, today is DEC 15 and your extension expires APR 16.  That is 4 months from now, a renewal is just 4-8 weeks.

If it was me I'd apply for a new passport immediately ... don't see how you won't have your new passport back in time for your renewal. 

Good Luck whatever you decide :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like me, you are obviously a member of the ParanoidsRUs club.

Forget about renewal for now and get a new extension in your

old passport, you are only going to lose one month.

Then in the next few months renew your passport and get the

extension stamp transferred over, so you are good to go with

your 2025 extension. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I wish I got more responses such as yours.

A senior member responded saying that I could get a new visa extension stamp on my old passport expiring the same date as the passport. However he says that when I get a renewed USA passport I have to start the entire retirement Visa extension process from scratch.  He didn't mention anything about transferring the valid visa from the old passport to the new one. More than 75% of members suggest renewal of the passport vs getting a retirement Visa extension stamp expiring the same date as the passport itself.  

You pay the agent twice. However in my case I have been doing it myself since 2019. Just 1900 immigration office fee, plus photo copies. Besides I am only loosing a little over 40 days by not getting the entire one year retirement Visa extension stamp.

3 hours ago, Ravi98008 said:

What would I do if I don't get a renewed USA passport back from Bangkok Thailand USA embassy before March 2024. 

I don´t see the problem. in that case, you would use your existing passport and take the shorter extension. New passport only takes 4-8 weeks, so you got plenty of time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

The visa will be stamped until your passport expires, after you get your new passport you'll need to apply for another visa. Renew your passport NOW.

Why would anyone renew his passport NOW and lose about 15 months of validity? Passports are not free as far as I'm aware, so you use them to their full validity.

OP should apply for his extension on his old passport, and get an 11 month extension, then apply for a new passport near the expiry date of his old, then get a new 12 month extension starting from March 2025

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ravi98008 said:

yes you can, then renew passport november/december 2024

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

To apply for a Thai one year visa you must have at least one full year left on your passport. If I were you I would re apply for a passport renewal immediately.

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

yes you can, then renew passport november/december 2024

USA passport has to be done through the consular section of the embassy.  Their web site says 6-8 weeks for the renewal - I just did mine and it took less than a month.  very quick and efficient now I guess.  Best to get it sooner rather than too late so that when you go to immigration to hem extend the long stay, take old passport and new passport, have them transfer the visa, and any pertinent data into the new passport plus your new expension.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Ravi98008 said:

I was in a similar situation.  Renewed my extension of stay for 11 months, and then applied for a new passport which was received in 5 weeks.

Good luck.

• Love It 1

@Ravi98008

You currently have an extension of stay until April 16th 2024.
Your current passport expires March 6th 2025.

Submit your extension application as normal in 2024 using existing passport.
You will however only be given permission of stay until March 6, 2025, that being the expiry date of your current passport.

Towards the end of 2024 apply for a new passport.
When you receive the new passport, take it to Immigration, and they will transfer stamps from your old passport to the new.
Your permission of stay is not affected, and you'll receive a new stamp in your new passport still permitting you to stay until March 6th 2025.

This really is a no-brainer.
If you replace your passport now, you're losing over 11 months of a perfectly valid passport, as opposed to doing your extension in 2024 as normal and lose only 5 weeks permission of stay.

Your annual extension application date will change to March 6 for future years.

• Love It 1