Change from reirement to marriage visa

Dear all.

I retired a year ago and am using 800k in the bank method.

I have a car owing about 350k and making monthly payments.

Would like to withdraw my 800k retirement  and keep 400k marriage money in bank.

Thus allowing me to pay off the car.

Means changing to marriage visa and extension from current retirement visa on first 12 month extension, which expires in April 2024.

Can ypu advise please?

• Haha 1

Maintain the 800k till your next extension.

Your wife will need to be with you.

After you obtain the extension based on marriage and obtain final stamp after under consideration period you can withdraw all the money.

Just requires you to take it back up to 400k two months prior to next extension.

Be aware that your new annual extension date with change to the date of change from based on retirement to marriage.

This attached thread includes a link from ubonjoe re requirements.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=942532&key=2b9c0a3aeb8537d334f181402709b16c

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have regular monthly income exceeding 40k per month, check with your office on the combination method.

400k + income totalling 800k.If they accept that then you don't need to change anything.

Or if your income is in excess of 65k per month is another alternative to changing.

As mentioned, better to wait until AFTER your next renewal.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Simply change the basis of your reason for stay from retirement to marriage. You will no longer have a visa, only an extension of stay.

Then my Non O visa will be invalid?

Do I need apply for new visa for marriage?

2 minutes ago, GregBow said:

Looks like a mix of fermino,ogy here.

O-A visa issued outside the country.

Non O , extention of stay based on ....xxxxx

1 minute ago, GregBow said:

No. Your visa is valid for only a specific period, in your case I imagine one year? Thereafter, you don't have a visa, which is a physical piece of paper fastened into your passport. Thereafter you will apply for an extension of stay (which are stamps in your passport), on whatever basis you decide is appropriate. If you obtained your visa initially for the reason of retirement, you must change that reason to marriage, as and when you do your extension. The change of reason is formal change, in addition to applying for an extension of stay.

• Agree 1

Go into local Immi Office with wife and ask the IO how to change from retired to married - they will advise you how they do it in their office and what you will need to bring with you.  Be nice and polite and smile a lot - let the wife do most of the talking. Each Office does things their own way - rules are rules buty in Thailand they are only 'guides' - asking in the local Office is the best way to go and mnakes it easier for them when you arrive to lodge application.  The only issue we had was the 'written' map showing where you live - you are not allowed to use Google Maps - ask about that too (dont ask me why). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You make it sound like a walk to the 7/11.

Ever been to CW? 

There is plenty of information on AseanNow to cover this simple process 

Helps when folk disclose the immigration office in question. 

It is a 30 min drive for me, but I take your point some Offices are very difficult to get to for some Expats. Never been to Immigration in Bangkok - and yes that would not be 'easy' or quick for most people. But even for me we organise to do something else there before and/or after we visit, so the trip is never just for that.  Yes there is plenty of information on AN, but sometimes the locals want something different, and it does no harm to put yourself and the wife in front of them, before you lodge the application together.

6 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

It is a 30 min drive for me, but I take your point some Offices are very difficult to get to for some Expats. Never been to Immigration in Bangkok - and yes that would not be 'easy' or quick for most people. But even for me we organise to do something else there before and/or after we visit, so the trip is never just for that.  Yes there is plenty of information on AN, but sometimes the locals want something different, and it does no harm to put yourself and the wife in front of them, before you lodge the application together.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, GregBow said:

No, your visa expired when you entered the country, not invalid, and you were granted visa status based on that visa. You then extended that visa status for a 12 month period, you now wish to change that visa status from Non O retirement to Non O marriage and extend the new status for 12 months.

People planning to enter Thailand require a visa, or visa waiver, and that is managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once inside Thailand, visa status is managed by the Ministry of the Interior.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:10 AM, GregBow said:

Means changing to marriage visa and extension from current retirement visa on first 12 month extension, which expires in April 2024.

A bit of a mute point, but note what Mike Lister noted.   Best that I can read, you are not trying to change your Visa that has expired, but rather you are trying to change the 'permission to stay' justification that came with your original Type-O visa from 'retirement' to 'marriage'.  One's visa can be 'expired' for years, but one can still be renewing the 'permission to stay' based on that original visa for year after year after year.  It may sound like a mute point but the words can be confusing to some of us if one talks about changing the visa, when instead one really means they want to change their justification of their "permission to stay" (where a "permission to stay" is different from a "visa" - .... a "visa" will lead to a "permission to stay").

Anyway one point I am not clear on (for a Type-O visa initially based on retirement) is as follows:   

In the case of a type-OA visa (initially based on retirement) I could not change the 'permission to stay' based on retirement, to one based on marriage, until after I had successfully done at least one extension of the 'permission to stay' (based on retirement).  As a result, I ended having to do my first 1-year extension based on retirement (and I ended up paying for double health insurance - where health insurance is a type-OA visa 'permission to stay' requirement).  Your type-O won't have any health insurance requirements for retirement nor marriage extensions, but I do not know if you have to have 'one year extension of the permission to stay' based on retirement under your belt before you can apply for a new 1-year 'permission to stay' based on marriage.

Others on this forum more knowledgeable than myself can confirm what is the typical immigration office requirement here.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GregBow said:

Sorry all. I should have said. The immigration office is Bueng Lan and they have always been extremely helpful and polite.

I feel they deal more with Lao people than Europeans from my visits there but either way good experience

3 hours ago, rwill said:

3 months after your extension you can take the account down to 400,000 but have to get back up to 800,000 2 months before your next extension is due.  

This is without changing to a marriage based extension.

I believe this is wrong - does not the retirement extension requires 800K to be maintained for 12 months in the account?

Please advise if I am wrong and provide link or docs. 

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I believe this is wrong - does not the retirement extension requires 800K to be maintained for 12 months in the account?

Please advise if I am wrong and provide link or docs. 

I am advising you..you are wrong. 800 x 3, 400 x 7,  800 x 2 for Retirement extension.

No need for link or docs, as there are many many threads on this subject..use 'search'

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

I am advising you..you are wrong. 800 x 3, 400 x 7,  800 x 2 for Retirement extension.

No need for link or docs, as there are many many threads on this subject..use 'search'

Thanks - they changed the rules - before it was 800K for the full 12 mths.

I am on married extension so have not used retirement for a while.

Buit good to know for the future - who knows what may happen.

• Confused 2

On 12/15/2023 at 4:10 AM, GregBow said:

Dear all.

Would like to withdraw my 800k retirement  and keep 400k marriage money in bank.

Can ypu advise please?

You cannot. You need to keep the 800k in the bank until three month after your extension of stay has been granted, and you furthermore need to upgrade the deposit again to 800k bah two month before you next time apply for an extension of stay. By that time you can apply for extension based on marriage and withdraw 400k baht.

The reason is, that the present extension of stay has been granted on basis of retirement with a deposit in a Thai bank. If you default on that, you default your extension of stay and shall in principle leave the country. You cannot extend you stay, if the previous extension is breached.

However, go and talk to your local immigration office, if they will permit you to change method before your present extension of stay ends.

Dear all.

Can ypu advise please?

I suggest you to avoid a marriage with a thai women, it's only a waste of money. Better to be single in thailand

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Thank you for insight into the OP's post..I'm sure it will help him a lot for his Visa/Extension question.

I don't understand why people like to go into a marriage with a thai women that only need money!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thanks - they changed the rules - before it was 800K for the full 12 mths.

They did change the rules but it was never 800K for the full year.  It used to be 800K 3 months before the extension and you were free to use it all until the next 3 month period.  Then they changed it to 800K two months before and three months after the extension with 400K the rest of the year.

Here's the link you wanted.

22. In the case of retirement:

Screenshot (92).png

I have a new car too.  I paid cash.  No monthly payment.  Why would you want to be indebted here in Thailand?

• Confused 3

Something you may need to be aware of is that your initial marriage extension of stay will be dated from when your current permission to stay expires rather than from when you apply for the extension up to 30 days beforehand at your local immigration office (as has presumably hitherto been the case with your retirement extensions). Assuming that you stick with marriage, though. subsequent extensions will be dated from when you apply for them.

5 hours ago, connda said:

I have a new car too.  I paid cash.  No monthly payment.  Why would you want to be indebted here in Thailand?

I would never buy a car in thailand, even if pay cash. And the traffic is so crazy! Thais don't drive good, in fact there is a car or a motorbike crash every minute

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:55 AM, CharlieH said:

If you have regular monthly income exceeding 40k per month, check with your office on the combination method.

400k + income totalling 800k.If they accept that then you don't need to change anything.

Or if your income is in excess of 65k per month is another alternative to changing.

As mentioned, better to wait until AFTER your next renewal.

Thank you for the help

How would this work?

I have the 400k in bank, my superannuation is paid into Aus bank, i send or withdraw from ATM as needed.

If I send 50k per month as a standing order to use as the added payment should I set up a bank account seperate for this?

How to show it to immigration?