5 year old girl killed in accident between electric tricycle and pickup

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai man crashed his pickup into an electric tricycle, which reportedly made a sudden turn, killing five year old girl and injuring a 20 year old woman on the Nong Bua Lamphu-Nonsang District Road in the Isaan province of Nong Bua Lamphu at 11.30am on December 16.

Mueang Nong Bua Lamphu Police Station officers were called to the bridge on the road, and they discovered a destroyed electric tricycle and its parts strewn on the road. Witnesses reported that the 20 year old rider of the electric tricycle was injured and taken to the hospital while her niece, 5 year old girl named Por, was missing from the scene.

Police and rescuers searched for Por until they found her in the roadside forest 15 metres away from the accident scene. She was pronounced dead at the scene with a serious head injury.

A black Isuzu pickup involved in the accident was parked on the bridge. The pickup had impact marks on the left side of its front bumper. The driver, a Thai man named Thanawat, turned himself in at the scene. His wife and child were in the car.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How fast was the pickup going to 'fling' that little girl 15 meters away ???

Neither would I release footage if it showed me speeding... 

Richard , Well  you not "daft " are you , your undaft 😁 thanks for teaching me this word ,

I wonder if there is a word "Un- daft" !

I'm fascinated by this new word you taught me , unfortunately here in Australia no one understands, daft daft daft I shout ,I love it , 

Some get confused and think I'm saying the word deaf 

Oh thats daft I said , 

Anyone else know about this word?

I wonder 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

These electric tricycles should be banned from all roads except around town.

They do not have the speed or are too small to be seen by the vast majority of vehicles.

They are a death trap and an accident waiting to happen.

It's bad enough that these toys with no license/insurance whatever are driven in the village by kids. Easy doing 40 km/h or so.

But turning in to an open highway is a death wish. 

Fortunately not seen yet in our area. Only in the lawless zone called village.

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess is that the mobility scooter was riding on the shoulder of the road but when the shoulder disappears at the bridge, the mobility scooter pulled into the traffic lane. Traffic approaching from behind should have anticipated that the mobility scooter would have to do this and slowed down, but, as is so often the case, the driver probably sped up intending to force the mobility scooter to come to a stop or just assuming it would. When the Isuzu driver realized this was not going to happen he was probably already going too fast to avoid colliding with the scooter.

This issue would have been the exact same if the vehicle had been a slower moving bicycle, farm vehicle, or motorcycle. If the mobility scooter driver had more experience, she probably would have come to a stop before crossing the bridge, but that doesn't relieve the Isuzu driver of his likely negligence in the accident, especially since the small child riding in the rear was probably very visible, which should have triggered an even higher level of caution and defensive driving. Certainly, his reluctance to let people see the dash cam footage suggests possible awareness that his negligence may have, at least partially, contributed to this tragic accident.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

My guess is that the mobility scooter was riding on the shoulder of the road but when the shoulder disappears at the bridge, the mobility scooter pulled into the traffic lane. Traffic approaching from behind should have anticipated that the mobility scooter would have to do this and slowed down, but, as is so often the case, the driver probably sped up assuming the mobility scooter would come to a stop and wait until they could cross the bridge safely. This issue would have been the exact same if the vehicle had been a slower moving bicycle, farm vehicle, or motorcycle. If the mobility scooter driver had more experience, she probably would have come to a stop before crossing the bridge, but that doesn't relieve the Isuzu driver of his likely negligence in the accident, especially since the small child riding in the rear was probably very visible, which should have triggered an even higher level of caution and defensive driving. Certainly, his reluctance to let people see the dash cam footage suggests possible awareness that his negligence may have, at least partially, contributed to this tragic accident.

The following is from the full story.

Thanawat said that the driver of the electric tricycle suddenly turned and cut off his car. He could not avoid the tricycle and crashed into it. Thanawat refused to release his dashcam footage to the public and refused to give further interviews to the media.

Witnesses corroborated Thanawat’s confession, saying they saw the woman turn right at the same time as the pickup approached. Locals said the woman was not supposed to be riding the electric tricycle, which had a low speed, on the road, which is always busy.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Thanawat said that the driver of the electric tricycle suddenly turned and cut off his car. He could not avoid the tricycle and crashed into it. Thanawat refused to release his dashcam footage to the public and refused to give further interviews to the media.

Witnesses corroborated Thanawat’s confession, saying they saw the woman turn right at the same time as the pickup approached. Locals said the woman was not supposed to be riding the electric tricycle, which had a low speed, on the road, which is always busy.

Locals said the woman was not supposed to be riding the electric tricycle, which had a low speed, on the road, which is always busy.

...as they pocketed 500 baht notes...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I read all that too. But as far as the local's saying "she shouldn't have been riding the tricycle on a busy road because of its slow speed," the same risk is presented by slow moving bicycles, motorcycles, farm trap wagons or tractors of which there are many on rural roads.

My only point was that if more care had been taken by the vehicle by slowing down and anticipating that the vehicle might have to pull into the lane because the roadway was cinched at the bridge, the accident probably could have been avoided. Also, what the locals said about whether it was advisable to be riding an electric tricycle on the road doesn't necessarily mean that she was breaking the law. Like if a bicycle is involved in an accident alongside a busy roadway. Everyone says that riding an electric scooter on such a busy road is ill-advised, and I certainly would agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal or even negligent.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

RIP little one. even if he is likely not guilty i would hate to be the pick up driver. my conscience would not leave me alone on 'how could i have avoided this'. 

same goes for the tricycle driver. there are only losers in an accident like this.

poor little girl :crying:

I sympathise and grieve for the child but according to the article it was no accident. It was the result of stupidity by the tricycle driver who made a sudden turn without looking. Driving my car on the dual carriageway of Nong Khai district I have often had to avoid stupid motorcycle and  sidecar combination drivers who pull out for no obvious reason without looking behind first. I think the car driver is also a victim of her stupidity and will have to live with this for the rest of his life

15 minutes ago, RobU said:

I sympathise and grieve for the child but according to the article it was no accident. It was the result of stupidity by the tricycle driver who made a sudden turn without looking. Driving my car on the dual carriageway of Nong Khai district I have often had to avoid stupid motorcycle and  sidecar combination drivers who pull out for no obvious reason without looking behind first. I think the car driver is also a victim of her stupidity and will have to live with this for the rest of his life

If you look at the picture in the OP, you can see that the shoulder of the road effectively disappears at the bridge. Any slower vehicle on the shoulder would have to move into the main traffic lane in order to cross the bridge. Rather than the electric scooter erratically making a wild unpredictable turn into oncoming traffic or shooting out of a soi into oncoming traffic without looking, a far more likely scenario is that the electric scooter moved off the shoulder into the main lane so as to be able to cross the bridge. A vehicle approaching from behind likely assumed that they could force the scooter to come to a stop so that they wouldn't have to slow down while the scooter crossed the bridge. If this turns out to be the actual scenario, while the scooter driver may have been negligent for not checking if it was safe to merge into the main lane, I would argue that the Isuzu driver was at least partially, if not equally negligent for not anticipating that the scooter would likely merge into the main lane and slowing down as a precaution against this possibility, especially if the young child passenger was clearly visible from behind.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What's with the laughing emo? This is a real tragedy. not a laughing matter. It seems there is a greater amount of undesirable posters on this form lately.

are you asking me about the emo i put in my text? or the laughing emo someone put under?

the emo i put is sad.. or about to cry 

i have had enough tragedy in my life trhat i would never laugh at a story like this

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

are you asking me about the emo i put in my text? or the laughing emo someone put under?

the emo i put is sad.. or about to cry 

i have had enough tragedy in my life trhat i would never laugh at a story like this

No I am not asking about the emo in your text, that is perfectly understandable, someone put a laughing emo at Gecko123's post. Sorry about any misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For clarification, this is the type of machine involved. The child was probably sitting in the back seat and the driver on the middle one. They can reach about 25 kph (I've ridden one at that speed) and are common in some rural parts of Thailand.

image.png.53a87d8d28604439da7e6b067dda089e.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What's with the laughing emo? This is a real tragedy. not a laughing matter. It seems there is a greater amount of undesirable posters on this form lately.

Strangely enough the laughing emojis seem to have disappeared from the posts. It is almost as though the person who posted them seems to have woken up and realised how offensive they were and removed them.

The person or persons who posted them did so anonymously (no names allowed, no pack drill). OTOH it could have been the moderators who removed them, and they would know who posted them.

I do agree with you about the greater amount of undesirable posters on this forum lately.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

If you look at the picture in the OP, you can see that the shoulder of the road effectively disappears at the bridge. Any slower vehicle on the shoulder would have to move into the main traffic lane in order to cross the bridge. Rather than the electric scooter erratically making a wild unpredictable turn into oncoming traffic or shooting out of a soi into oncoming traffic without looking, a far more likely scenario is that the electric scooter moved off the shoulder into the main lane so as to be able to cross the bridge. A vehicle approaching from behind likely assumed that they could force the scooter to come to a stop so that they wouldn't have to slow down while the scooter crossed the bridge. If this turns out to be the actual scenario, while the scooter driver may have been negligent for not checking if it was safe to merge into the main lane, I would argue that the Isuzu driver was at least partially, if not equally negligent for not anticipating that the scooter would likely merge into the main lane and slowing down as a precaution against this possibility, especially if the young child passenger was clearly visible from behind.

And the witness's who said, I quote the article: 'Witnesses corroborated Thanawat’s confession, saying they saw the woman turn right at the same time as the pickup approached' were all wrong were they?

You're also basing your judgement on the final position of the tricycle which is unlikely to be where the accident actually took place. When a large heavy vehicle hits a small light one, the latter could well end up some distance from where the impact occurred, as did the young girl's body of course, some 15 meters in fact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For clarification, this is the type of machine involved. The child was probably sitting in the back seat and the driver on the middle one. They can reach about 25 kph (I've ridden one at that speed) and are common in some rural parts of Thailand.

image.png.53a87d8d28604439da7e6b067dda089e.png

I've mentioned already how prevalent these vehicles are around our village and of course they are silent and one has keep a good lookout for them.

Just this morning I had to smartly step out of the way when one came whipping round a sharp bend, driven, single-handed by a kid no more than 6 years old. You can probably guess what was in her left hand. Bad habits being adopted ever younger.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Strangely enough the laughing emojis seem to have disappeared from the posts. It is almost as though the person who posted them seems to have woken up and realised how offensive they were and removed them.

there is still one on my post, 1st post on this thread, and i wish it were removed... no laughing matter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

And the witness's who said, I quote the article: 'Witnesses corroborated Thanawat’s confession, saying they saw the woman turn right at the same time as the pickup approached' were all wrong were they?

You're also basing your judgement on the final position of the tricycle which is unlikely to be where the accident actually took place. When a large heavy vehicle hits a small light one, the latter could well end up some distance from where the impact occurred, as did the young girl's body of course, some 15 meters in fact.

Valid points.

I believe this is the location where the accident occurred.

Screenshot2023-12-19at15_43_34.thumb.png.6a7a199edc86e7eb148827ac4f1a1f5a.png

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Valid points.

I believe this is the location where the accident occurred.

Screenshot2023-12-19at15_43_34.thumb.png.6a7a199edc86e7eb148827ac4f1a1f5a.png

If you've got that location correct, the last thing that the pick up driver would expect would be a sudden right turn by tricycle rider.