Euro Tour With Thai Wife. Need Many Visas?

hi

my wife has a UK tourist visa and we want to do a euro tour starting and ending in UK. we will probably visit france, maybe italy and maybe switzerland next ski season, not exactly sure where yet because i want to look for last minute ski package deals when i get to UK.

what's the deal with visiting these countries if she already has a UK (and US) visa? do we need to apply for all possible visas in BKK first or should we just get the ones we need in london when we know where we are going?

thx steve

I believe what you want is a 'Shengen' visa... I believe that that will take you into most European Union countries (except uk)... But you probably want to google it for updated info. If your wife already has the uk visa, the shengen will be no problem...

If, as you say, your wife has a tourist visa and is already in UK you may find it difficult to get the Schengen visa while in UK. The Schengen regulations state that she should apply in her country of residence so if she has not yet arrived in UK she should get it in Bangkok

Also Switzerland is NOT a Schengen country although Iceland is (and is not an EU country) skiing in Iceland anyone?

Definately apply in Thailand if at all possible as getting in the UK onless the Missus has some form of residence visa is going to be problematic.

Also Switzerland is NOT a Schengen country although Iceland is (and is not an EU country) skiing in Iceland anyone?

Definately apply in Thailand if at all possible as getting in the UK onless the Missus has some form of residence visa is going to be problematic.

In fact Switzerland is a Schengen country although not in the EU. Check the Schengen visa website where you can download application forms. The main difference with applying for a UK visa is that Schengen countries normally require evidence of flight and hotel bookings for every day of your trip to Schengenland. However, this is waived if the vias applicant is legally married to an EU national.

Also Switzerland is NOT a Schengen country

Correct, but holders of a used, valid Schengen visa will be allowed to enter (and leave) Switzerland without getting a Swiss visa.

Boarder controls are at this moment very active and DO have the right to refuse her into Switzerland. Do you really want to take that chance??????

Boarder controls are at this moment very active and DO have the right to refuse her into Switzerland. Do you really want to take that chance??????

It is not a chance

Below is information direct from the Swiss Embassy Bangkok

Schengen visa

As per August 1st, 2000, Thai citizens holding a valid Schengen-Visa are exempted from visa obligation if the purpose of travelling to Switzerland is tourism, visits for business contacts, medical treatment and rehabilitation, participation in certain events as well as temporary media coverage for foreign media for a period not exceeding 90 days.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Hi,

The good news is your wife doe not have to pay a fee for the schengen visa, the bad news is they may charge you a fee for processing the application!

I suggest you phone all of the embassies that are part of the schengen visa scheme as you may be very pleasantly suprised at their response regarding processing fees, some are up to 42 euros I belive whilst some are entirely free.

I got a schengen via for my wife a few weeks ago here in the uk and Austria proved to be very quick and without charge, unlike spain france etc, the message is, shop around as once you have the vsa it is valid for all the schengen visa countries.

Good luck

roy gsd

On the Swiss embassy’s website, the information about the Schengen visa is here.

Steve, make sure your wife gets a multiple-entry Schengen visa if Switzerland is included in the itinerary.

--

Maestro

It is not a chance

Below is information direct from the Swiss Embassy Bangkok

Schengen visa

As per August 1st, 2000, Thai citizens holding a valid Schengen-Visa are exempted from visa obligation if the purpose of travelling to Switzerland is tourism, visits for business contacts, medical treatment and rehabilitation, participation in certain events as well as temporary media coverage for foreign media for a period not exceeding 90 days.

Although all the countries you are likely to visit are signatories to the schengen treaty in practice they apply the rules slightly differently............although they are not supposed to. Also the conditions of the places to apply vary enormously, the french emabsssy is fit only for cattle. Spanish is smaller and nicer, Dutch better still, appointments only. Because you can travel in any of the signatories when you have the visa it doesnt really matter where you apply although its supposed to be the country you will spend the bulk of the time in and they want to see accomodation booked. If you have a friend or an address you can use abroad thats a good idea. For instance in France you might need an attestation from the mairie or in Spain the local police could certify an address if you dont have a hotel. You can always book a hotel for the beginning of your trip and then say you will be touring. Very few of the customs/border controls are manned in europe nowadays and you can travel freely without ever being asked for documents. There has always to be a good reason to return. I suggest you google the subject, find the best emabassy and the easiest and start your holiday there. Cheap flights are easy to get to all countries, incidently in switzerland land at geneva and walk out the french side to hire cars.....it's much cheaper, so are the hotels in the skiing resorts, or the ferries to mainland europe are really cheap. Especially Speedferries, Drive through the auvergne and through Ain, my favourite department, and into the skiing areas. Then you can fill the car with swiss chocolate and french wine.

Edited by ratchabuild

On the Swiss embassy’s website, the information about the Schengen visa is here.

Steve, make sure your wife gets a multiple-entry Schengen visa if Switzerland is included in the itinerary.

Whilst it is highly recommended to have a Multi Entry Schengen visa if you intend to include Switzerland on your tour of Europe. According to the Swiss Embassy Bangkok Information concerning Schengen visas you will be allowed to enter Switzerland on a single entry visa but if it has been used (by entering a Schengen state previously) you will only be able to leave to a Non Schengen state unless Switzerland was your first port of call.

So if you are unfortunate to be given only a single entry then you may have to rearrange your itinerary.

Edited by Mahout Angrit