The reality of a "first" marriage extension.

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

Or as some would say,"starting all over again"

In Sept I decided to return to  the UK for passport renewal rather than here in Thailand and when I attended the appointment I was a bit surprised to be told the old passport would be returned 10-14 days after the new passport.This would have been after my return flightso I applied for e-visa,no problem there, got it in 48 hours and then my old passport turned up the day after the visa. Although I had an extension and re-entry permit in the interests of simplicity I decided to return on the e-visa and deal with any fallout later.

This morning I went to immigrationt to do marriage extension a little bit unsure of what may arise. I handed over both passports and she immediately handed the old one back, not interested. Looked in the new passport and asked where was the visa and I said in the docs, ok. About 15 minutes to go through the docs, sign the bits of paper, pay the fee and take a seat. Another 10 minutes to get passport back with under consideration stamp, all in all a lot quicker and easier than previous renewals.

I had a TM30 in my old passport dated 2015 and had moved that to the new passport, IO looked at it and never batted an eyelid. I checked on 90 day and she said not required, said will get new date when return for 12 month stamp. My wife was given a phone number to arrange the home visit and a phone number was put in passport to check for approval before returning. All very efficient, but obviously a subjective office variable.

The only niggle was that proceedings in the office effectively came to a standstill for about half an hour as a company dropped off about 50 Christmas hampers for the immigration staff.

What office where it is so easy?

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What office where it is so easy?

Easy wasn't the point, all about the urban myth that if you don't have a re-entry permit you have "to start all over".

Nov 22 I did a marriage extension on a new visa and yesterday did a marriage extension on a new visa and new passport, neither were much different to doing a renewal. It is not a Holy Grail and more about circumstances and how much remaining time on an extension there is to "protect". In previous years I let some months on my extension expire while away to move the renewal date from the summer months to the winter.

The office is a bit irrelevant but you are perfectly free to move to Sri Ratcha and check it out for yourself. Failing that you could use an agent and then complain when challenged.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

Giving the name of the immigration office is always relevant, because we are seeing very often that different offices handle things differently.

If an office requires something such as a TM30 after leaving the country, wouldn't that be the same if you entered with a re-entry permit or new visa?

My point addressed the difference between trying to protect an extension or getting a new visa, not differences between offices.

11 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Well, as the saying goes "It is not over till the fat lady sings." It still has to be looked at in Bangkok. You are still under consideration. Good Luck!

Very true, But what is your point.

Do you think it is better to look for obscure options to protect an extension, as we had someone do recently, rather than get a new visa?

After re-reading your op I see what you did. You didn't say which e-visa you got, or what extension appointment you went to. I read it as you went for the extension of your old marriage extension. I see now that you got an marriage e-visa and then got an extension on that. I have had to do that myself.

I didn't read the post about the other guy and why he needed to jump through a bunch of hoops to get his extension.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:51 PM, sandyf said:

I was a bit surprised to be told the old passport would be returned 10-14 days after the new passport

So no complete escape from the brazen incompetence and ineptitude of His Majesty's Passport Office even when renewing your passport in the UK, then!