Kplus app requires switching off accessibilty services (Android)

Kplus app forced me to update the app. The updated app wouldn't work as long as I didn't switch off all accessibility services, which were: ESET mobile security (makes sense,  I should have as much malware as possible on the phone I use for banking) and Nova launcher (this one pïssed me off, I really like Nova launcher)

A warning appeared on the phone,  that these 2 apps would stop if I switched off accessibility services. 

I called them and they told me if I don't  switch off all accessibility services I won't be able to use the banking app. As I am dependent on the app at the moment,  I switched off the accessibility services. 

Funnily,  the phone looks like before,  it doesn't behave or smell or sound differently. 

I am a digital illiterate - anybody knows,  what these accessibility services are?

Edited by Lorry

Some apps like AntiVirus, need deep access to the phone to work properly.

That gives these apps the chance to work properly, but it also gives them the chance to do much harm - at least in theory.

That is why security sensitive apps like banking apps, don't like them.

I am pretty sure many (all?) security sensitive apps will have whitelists for apps with many rights which are known as good, and they will continue to work. But these lists have to be updated. And new versions on the same apps with deep access need to be approved, etc.

All in all, banks do that for your security.

My k-bank app didn't work anymore because I used Microsoft launcher. I had to switch it off. Not what I wanted but I understand their point of view. It's difficult.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

AFAIK, Android Accessibility features are for hearing/visually impaired individuals.

Enabling some of these can put the phone at risk, so it's easy to understand why banking apps may wish to restrict this.

This is also why most financial apps won't run on rooted phones.

Allowing accessibility permissions can put the device owner at financial and personal risk. Attackers can steal sensitive information, such as banking and other personal information (chats, device PIN, passwords of different accounts, OTP passcodes, contacts, and so much more).

https://www.bitdefender.com/blog/hotforsecurity/accessibility-service-an-android-blessing-and-a-security-challenge-in-the-same-package/

The accessibility functions are things like being able to read your screen. I have around 5 Apps running these functions. Such as my Youtube Ads blocking App and my Powershade App. 

And for months and months my banking apps have not worked unless I turn these off. And that's exactly what I do. Each time I use the banking apps I simply go to the accessibility menu and switch off all the other apps. I then finish using the banking apps and turn back on the other apps.

I'm so used to doing this it only takes around 10 seconds now. But it does mean that I cannot instantly access the banking Apps. So, for example, I don't use them for cardless withdrawals at the ATM etc.

Relax. It's not a big deal.

Edited by Gaccha
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

No it's not but it is a pain in the derriere and irritating for the reasons you mention.

SCB app also tells me to switch off my vpn.........won't be long before they insist on data connection only and no wi fi........:annoyed:

13 minutes ago, topt said:

.........won't be long before they insist on data connection only and no wi fi........:annoyed:

That actually happens with the Krungsri app, occasionally if I'm out and use the phone to scan and pay if connected to wifi it won't allow the transaction. Sensible if you've connected to the free restaurant wifi which is probable a security risk.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

That actually happens with the Krungsri app, occasionally if I'm out and use the phone to scan and pay if connected to wifi it won't allow the transaction.

Is that always? How does it differentiate between other places and home or other trusted wi fi?

(I don't know as only use my banking app on a phone that is housebound.........:smile:)

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Sensible if you've connected to the free restaurant wifi which is probable a security risk.

This is where you would have thought using a vpn was safer but of course potentially could be a dodgy vpn app I suppose.

22 minutes ago, topt said:

Is that always? How does it differentiate between other places and home or other trusted wi fi?

No, it doesn't always, and I have no idea how it differentiates. It has no problem with my home Wi-Fi but I have had problems making payments when out for the evening. On those occasions turning mobile Wi-Fi off and using the phone's data connection fixes the problem. So clearly the app has some ability to determine/calculate potential risk.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gaccha said:

The accessibility functions are things like being able to read your screen. I have around 5 Apps running these functions. Such as my Youtube Ads blocking App and my Powershade App. 

And for months and months my banking apps have not worked unless I turn these off. And that's exactly what I do. Each time I use the banking apps I simply go to the accessibility menu and switch off all the other apps. I then finish using the banking apps and turn back on the other apps.

I'm so used to doing this it only takes around 10 seconds now. But it does mean that I cannot instantly access the banking Apps. So, for example, I don't use them for cardless withdrawals at the ATM etc.

Thx, I was thinking whether this might be possible.  Good to know