Immigration office at Central Festival

csaba81

Hi All,

Good information  - thnxs.

Further on same topic - up to 3 years ago both wife and I - both Falang - held 12 month Retirements.

That went the way of all things (Covid) - but funds for both are still held in Thai Bank.

We are flying in this time on Visa waiver (30 days) - Flight tickets span exactly 60 days - will wait until Autumn to go for 12 month Retirement once more.

Does a 30 days extension get added to the end of the first 30 days if applied for early?

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Yes, they do 30-day extensions.  I was out there 2 weeks ago and it was a zoo (busier than I've ever seen it).  Got there

at 10AM, finally got my re-entry permit at 2PM.  Was still very busy when I left.

Reference your reply to my question the other day about passport photo not having blue background, no problem yesterday for one year extension, booked on line 8 30am, was out by 9. 15am. This was Airport Immigration, bit off topic but its Christmas 🎄 

Result!!

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

no problem yesterday for one year extension, booked on line 8 30am, was out by 9. 15am. This was Airport Immigration

Went there last week Wednesday 8:30 am to do a re-entry permit and it was jammed packed, too crowded with a ton of pushy-kneejerking folks from that big country up north and I left. Went back yesterday morning to complete my mission and it was empty. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CMBob said:

Got there

at 10AM, finally got my re-entry permit at 2PM. 

quite busy, yes... just a note that 4 hours is far longer than I spend on my retirement visa - - with the use of an agent... yes, there is a fee but if time and ease and security matter, it is a breeze for a nominal fee... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

quite busy, yes... just a note that 4 hours is far longer than I spend on my retirement visa - - with the use of an agent... yes, there is a fee but if time and ease and security matter, it is a breeze for a nominal fee... 

For my annual extension based on retirement about 3 weeks ago, I had an appointment at 10AM and was walking out the door with my extension at 10:40. I can handle that once a year.....and it's relatively inexpensive (only had to buy myself lunch afterwards).  In the future, I'll get the re-entry permit at the airport and avoid the wait.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, CMBob said:

For my annual extension based on retirement about 3 weeks ago, I had an appointment at 10AM and was walking out the door with my extension at 10:40. I can handle that once a year.....and it's relatively inexpensive (only had to buy myself lunch afterwards).  In the future, I'll get the re-entry permit at the airport and avoid the wait.

yes, but w/o an agent, you have to spend all that time beforehand filling out forms... yes, I know it is not that difficult and did it for 15 years before moving to CM where there are agents who do it for me. I appreciate the service - easy enough to do yourself if you prefer. Up to you. It is just a matter of how you want to spend your time. And I never have to worry if things are filled out properly or not. No stress. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

They give appointments at central festiva?  Not doubting you I just didn't know. 

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

They give appointments at central festiva?  Not doubting you I just didn't know. 

Nope, no appointments at Central Festival immigration office.  Only at the main office near the airport.

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, but w/o an agent, you have to spend all that time beforehand filling out forms... yes, I know it is not that difficult and did it for 15 years before moving to CM where there are agents who do it for me. I appreciate the service - easy enough to do yourself if you prefer. Up to you. It is just a matter of how you want to spend your time. And I never have to worry if things are filled out properly or not. No stress. 

The really only valid argument to use an agent is because somebody would like to reduce the stress a bit or because somebody just doesn't know what non-bank documents/copies are needed (or simply doesn't want to bother gathering same).  Time spent is really isn't a valid point unless, I suppose, if one doesn't have an appointment and has to sit there for hours.

(1) We likely both spend the same time getting the paperwork from our banks (unless agents do that for you?).  

(2) Takes me about an hour to fill out the TM7 (which I do on the computer and print out), make the necessary copies, and sign the stuff..... all of which I do at home.  People using agents usually have to go to their agent's office with their bank paperwork and passport and then wait while they prepare the various paperwork and copies so they can sign the TM7 and copies there.

(3)  On the operative date, we both make our way to the Immigration office (people using agents sometimes make their way to their agent's office and the agent drives them to Immigration although some others have the agents pick them up at their home and drive them to Immigration).  I presume we both go home from there (although I know some people end up back at their agent's office and go home from there).

(4) I'm guessing you're at Immigration for 15-20 minutes or so whereas I have spent an additional 20-25 minutes the last two extensions (40 min total).  Being retired, the extra 20-30 minutes once a year is tolerable to me.

(5) We both pay 1,900 baht.  You pay the agent whatever.

I don't criticize anybody using an agent or argue that using one or the other is better, ultimately time-saving, or cheaper.  Like you said, doing it yourself or using an agent  is in the "up to you" category.  

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, degodasilva said:

There's plenty of info on Google Maps, including photos of signs/posters indicating the various services they offer. (Sorry, I'm not able to post a link.)

I think some did not pay attention to the OP which was about central festival, no main immigration..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I use an agent because I can't be bothered to drive to Immigration, park the car near by, if I can, which often I can't, wait around for hours, often in the heat of the day, and then have to deal with their inconsistences.  I also use one because I am happy to pay so that someone else does the stupid grunt work required.  It's also why I have a cleaner, a gardener, a pool lady and a handy man, so that I can live my life in relative peace and laziness, doing the things I want to do, rather than have to do.  

The agent yes/no choice has been debated to death, and the choice is of course yours. Since I am sleepless tonight however, let me reply.  Cleaning, gardening, pool, repairs, that's not something you need once a year right? And some of it you wouldn't be able to do it yourself even if you wanted. So your comparison makes no sense. Now about Imm, you seem to refer to airport, not Central (the OP thread), or you wouldn't mention parking and heat of the day. At Imm airport, there is easy parking across the street for a 20B fee, big deal. You have to cross the road on pedestrian crossing with lights, big deal. Heat of the day? it's aircon inside. Wait for hours? Get an appointment, takes the same time as with an agent. Inconsistencies you have a point, they change often, so go before for a check of what is needed - more or less the same time as meeting your agent that you also have to do before Imm. I was never refused extension for missing documents. And you still have to go your bank, agent or not, I suppose that's in your "want to do" category.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

The agent yes/no choice has been debated to death, and the choice is of course yours. Since I am sleepless tonight however, let me reply.  Cleaning, gardening, pool, repairs, that's not something you need once a year right? And some of it you wouldn't be able to do it yourself even if you wanted. So your comparison makes no sense. Now about Imm, you seem to refer to airport, not Central (the OP thread), or you wouldn't mention parking and heat of the day. At Imm airport, there is easy parking across the street for a 20B fee, big deal. You have to cross the road on pedestrian crossing with lights, big deal. Heat of the day? it's aircon inside. Wait for hours? Get an appointment, takes the same time as with an agent. Inconsistencies you have a point, they change often, so go before for a check of what is needed - more or less the same time as meeting your agent that you also have to do before Imm. I was never refused extension for missing documents. And you still have to go your bank, agent or not, I suppose that's in your "want to do" category.

I do none of those things mate 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, CMBob said:

(1) We likely both spend the same time getting the paperwork from our banks (unless agents do that for you?). 

Probably true.. it depends on the number of customers... however, my visit to the agent after I get the letter was no more than 5 minutes... the forms are filled out and printed and they turn the pages as I sign them. The next day I go to Immigration where all the paperwork is finished before my arrival - I need only to stand in front of the camera and I am done. maybe 2 minutes. 

Yes, there is time involved in driving to both the agent and Immigration but any of the stressful parts are taken care of... no need to worry if the paperwork is correct or if I need an extra copy of this or different photo... I am retired and I have the time too, but it relieves all the stressful aspects that I don't want to do... like paperwork. 

It is like doing my taxes - I send in a few numbers and my accountant does the rest - he forwards the remittance forms to my bank and they write and send off the checks.. It is such a relief not to fill out all those forms... 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Get an appointment, takes the same time as with an agent.

I meet my agent at Immigration - he brings me inside and all the paperwork is finished - I stand in front of a camera and smile and he hands me my passport w/everything finished... actually only takes me a couple of minutes and I am out the door. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I use an agent because I can't be bothered to drive to Immigration, park the car near by, if I can, which often I can't, wait around for hours, often in the heat of the day, and then have to deal with their inconsistences.  I also use one because I am happy to pay so that someone else does the stupid grunt work required.  It's also why I have a cleaner, a gardener, a pool lady and a handy man, so that I can live my life in relative peace and laziness, doing the things I want to do, rather than have to do.  

Exactly - same for me. Even the gardener and pool guy.. I try not to do chores that i don't like. I excel at finding others to do tht kind of work. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 11:35 AM, CMBob said:

I have known a lot of people who have gotten 30-day extensions (from exempt entries and Tourist Visas) and every one of them had the 30-days tacked onto the end of their exempt or Tourist Visa period.  At least that's how it works here in Chiangmai.

Hi Bob,

Thnxs for reply - gives a little more assurance.

Other point - I have Wad of different Forms I always keep with me - can you advise Form No/Type  for 30 day extension?

Have a good Christmas.

Best Rgds

Edited by factseeker

On 12/22/2023 at 3:35 PM, degodasilva said:

There's plenty of info on Google Maps, including photos of signs/posters indicating the various services they offer. (Sorry, I'm not able to post a link.)

signposts in Central Festival?    

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 6:02 PM, CMBob said:

The really only valid argument to use an agent is because somebody would like to reduce the stress a bit or because somebody just doesn't know what non-bank documents/copies are needed (or simply doesn't want to bother gathering same).  Time spent is really isn't a valid point unless, I suppose, if one doesn't have an appointment and has to sit there for hours.

(2) Takes me about an hour to fill out the TM7 (which I do on the computer and print out), make the necessary copies, and sign the stuff..... all of which I do at home.  People using agents usually have to go to their agent's office with their bank paperwork and passport and then wait while they prepare the various paperwork and copies so they can sign the TM7 and copies there.

(3)  On the operative date, we both make our way to the Immigration office (people using agents sometimes make their way to their agent's office and the agent drives them to Immigration although some others have the agents pick them up at their home and drive them to Immigration).  I presume we both go home from there (although I know some people end up back at their agent's office and go home from there).

(4) I'm guessing you're at Immigration for 15-20 minutes or so whereas I have spent an additional 20-25 minutes the last two extensions (40 min total).  Being retired, the extra 20-30 minutes once a year is tolerable to me.

(5) We both pay 1,900 baht.  You pay the agent whatever.

I don't criticize anybody using an agent or argue that using one or the other is better, ultimately time-saving, or cheaper.  Like you said, doing it yourself or using an agent  is in the "up to you" category.  

I used to use the TM7 form (retirement) that can be filled in on a computer, but at CM Immigration in 2022 they said I have to fill out their form by hand. Did this change again in 2023? I didn't try using the fill-in form.