Renew driving license and car ownership now I am no longer on a work permit

19 minutes ago, Virtualrecluse said:

I bought my car and got my license (a trade-in for my EU license) in 2014. My license expires next November. Since I am now on a "retirement visa", will I be able to renew it? 

Yes, but you will require a certificate of residence in place of your work permit.

The rest of the requirements stay the same.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 2:10 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

The requirement for a certificate of residence depends on the LTO office you attend. I did NOT require a certificate of residence I used my yellow book and pink card.

I think it’s fair to assume if the OP has gone through the process of getting a yellow house book and pink card, he wouldn’t be asking this question 👍 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

I think it’s fair to assume if the OP has gone through the process of getting a yellow house book and pink card, he wouldn’t be asking this question 👍 

Not necessarily, the possession  of a pink card/yellow book doesn’t grant any knowledge of where they are, and are not, accepted. The acceptance is variable and not known until tried.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Virtualrecluse said:

I bought my car and got my license (a trade-in for my EU license) in 2014. My license expires next November. Since I am now on a "retirement visa", will I be able to renew it? 

I am about ready to again renew my 5 year Thai licenses for the car and motorbike. Retired here in 2011.

On 12/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, Virtualrecluse said:

Yes.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, jimn said:

No you can only drive and own a car in Thailand if you have a work permit. Ask a silly question and get a silly answer.

So how do my retired friends own cars? I don't own a car (hire one when needed) but I do own my motorbike and I'm on my fourth set of driving licences and have never worked here.

2 hours ago, roger101 said:

So how do my retired friends own cars? I don't own a car (hire one when needed) but I do own my motorbike and I'm on my fourth set of driving licences and have never worked here.

My comment obviously went straight over your head lol