UPS from Lazada?

Batty

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for buying a UPS? I am not very computer savvy and I am finding the whole thing a bit confusing.

I recently bought an all-in-one desktop. The electricity here can sometimes be a little patchy, with blackouts for an hour or two every couple of months. Apparently, I need a UPS to ensure the safety of my computer when a blackout happens. The other thing is, sometimes these blackouts come with power surges where the electricity comes on with bursts of low voltage. There might be enough power to keep a lamp running, for example, without any air con units.

It doesn't happen very often, but I worry it will damage my AOI eventually.

So I looked on Lazada, and there are a ton of options available. I could do with spending just 2-3000 THB if possible. Do I grab literally any UPS within the price range? I would have liked a UPS that auto shuts down the computer (through software) but I cant determine which of the UPS on Lazada do that. Probably none within 2-3000 THB? I have no idea. Obviously, everything is in Thai so it's impossible to know which one to go for.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, in hindsight. I suppose I'm just asking if its ok to grab any UPS within 2-3000 THB on Lazada? I'm assuming in that price range they are all mostly the same?

Thanks

Batty

APC seem to be a good brand. This is a picture of mine, but it's only for the Router.

You need to know what power your computer consumes. (Probably in your computer book specifications).

Then what the UPS battery can supply for (say) 3 hours.

Then probably go 1 model UPS what you calculate. 

20231226_095810.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Concur concerning APC. We have mostly good experiences with them. There is a utility to be downloaded that allows to control operation, among others to shut down the computer if the battery charge of the UPS becomes too low.

for an AIO the 500 VA version is probably enough.

As far as the battery is concerned, I have found the same 7Ah battery in most brands. Just make sure that whatever you buy allows battery replacement. As an average, I need to change mine about every 2 years. Batteries are available on Lazada too.

Edited by a340bangla1
info about battery
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, connda said:

Before you purchase the unit, make sure you know the battery size is uses how common it is to find online.

They all use 7A 12V batteries.

So thats 84w of power, if you have a 500w computer plugged in that will last around 10mins.

But them you'll probably have the monitor and router plugged in as well, so under 5 mins.

• Agree 1

As Crossy says  -  Different requirements mean different animals.

UPS EATON 9E3000i  looks good but is 24,900 baht with 3 years onsite warranty   [there are far more expensive ones]

APC Back Up Pro UPS BR1500GI @ 15,950 baht

down to 1,000 baht. 

you must 1st work out what you need +  found on cheaper ones the battery life is poor  [4 - 500 baht every 6 months could work out expensive, where a 3,000 baht UPS maybe will last 2 -3 years before replacing the battery]

if home use have you though about something like this [also more expensive + cheaper models]

https://shopee.co.th/APC-อุปกรณ์รางปลั๊กกันไฟกระชาก-รุ่น-PMS53U-TH-Home-Office-SurgeArrest-5-Outlet-3-Meter-Cord-with-5V-2.4A-2-Port-USB-Charger-230V-(เต้าเสียบ-5-ช่อง-สายไฟยาว-3-เมตร-ช่อง-USB-2-พอร์ต)-i.406439659.22835506078

CyberPower UPS is value for money and quite a bit cheaper than APC. They also have a two-year on-site guarantee I’ve had technicians come out to my house in the middle of nowhere twice. This was for battery failures. However, replacing the battery is really quite simple and remarkably inexpensive, Batteries are about 175~ 250 baht for one and you need two for the UPS 

this is the one approved by my cat for keeping her router powered and warm, it also powers the TVIMG_9557.thumb.jpeg.ef8a366886f1ca598bb9cc9e20d52c83.jpeg

This is another in the range, you can drop in price for lower power

IMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.9a67ef12347304dcc446d687f00dd54e.jpeg

and then this gets rather more expensive but powers the security system and several computers 

IMG_8047.jpeg

AFIK all cyberpower UPS offerings can shut down your computer if the computer is windows, the shutdown may also work on Mac, I have never configured it so can’t comment on the functionality but it is in the SW.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ignis said:

As Crossy says  -  Different requirements mean different animals.

UPS EATON 9E3000i  looks good but is 24,900 baht with 3 years onsite warranty   [there are far more expensive ones]

APC Back Up Pro UPS BR1500GI @ 15,950 baht

down to 1,000 baht. 

you must 1st work out what you need +  found on cheaper ones the battery life is poor  [4 - 500 baht every 6 months could work out expensive, where a 3,000 baht UPS maybe will last 2 -3 years before replacing the battery]

if home use have you though about something like this [also more expensive + cheaper models]

https://shopee.co.th/APC-อุปกรณ์รางปลั๊กกันไฟกระชาก-รุ่น-PMS53U-TH-Home-Office-SurgeArrest-5-Outlet-3-Meter-Cord-with-5V-2.4A-2-Port-USB-Charger-230V-(เต้าเสียบ-5-ช่อง-สายไฟยาว-3-เมตร-ช่อง-USB-2-พอร์ต)-i.406439659.22835506078

on Lazada      https://www.lazada.co.th/products/apc-performance-surgearrest-6-outlets-1836-joules-i4640654500-s19067067732.html?

9 minutes ago, twizzian said:

I only use a surge protector bank for the sudden power outage and storms, The ones like in Homepro and global are useless. Need to have a high Jules protection to be effective. I use a Surgeguard SL-4

For a sudden power outage a surge protector will be of no use.

For a lightning strike I doubt there is any surge protector that is of any use

On 12/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, gargamon said:

Use a laptop instead. Built in UPS. 

Very useful advise for someone who has:

On 12/26/2023 at 9:06 AM, Batty said:

recently bought an all-in-one desktop.

And by the way, I use a laptop, but I still have a UPS because it keeps my internet connection alive.

• Love It 1

I've had one these for 5 years now and is still very reliable. It provides power for my laptop and the internet router for about 30 minutes and has very effective voltage stabilization.

I've had to replace the battery twice, which readily available on Lazada and easy to switch out.

Screenshot(32).png.0510799421b95629831a54e46ba8a632.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, BritManToo said:

These price UPS can only supply computer for 2-5 minutes.

Good for power blinks, not good for a power cut.

Usually only last 2 years before battery fails.

The purpose of a UPS is not to keep the computer running but to shut down the computer safely. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Very useful advise for someone who has:

And by the way, I use a laptop, but I still have a UPS because it keeps my internet connection alive.

That was my point. All in one desktops are great except if there's flaky power where a laptop is a much better solution. 

46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've had one these for 5 years now and is still very reliable. It provides power for my laptop and the internet router fo

Funny, my laptop will run at least a day without external power. 

Edited by gargamon

On 12/26/2023 at 9:06 AM, Batty said:

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for buying a UPS? I am not very computer savvy and I am finding the whole thing a bit confusing.

I recently bought an all-in-one desktop. The electricity here can sometimes be a little patchy, with blackouts for an hour or two every couple of months. Apparently, I need a UPS to ensure the safety of my computer when a blackout happens. The other thing is, sometimes these blackouts come with power surges where the electricity comes on with bursts of low voltage. There might be enough power to keep a lamp running, for example, without any air con units.

It doesn't happen very often, but I worry it will damage my AOI eventually.

So I looked on Lazada, and there are a ton of options available. I could do with spending just 2-3000 THB if possible. Do I grab literally any UPS within the price range? I would have liked a UPS that auto shuts down the computer (through software) but I cant determine which of the UPS on Lazada do that. Probably none within 2-3000 THB? I have no idea. Obviously, everything is in Thai so it's impossible to know which one to go for.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, in hindsight. I suppose I'm just asking if its ok to grab any UPS within 2-3000 THB on Lazada? I'm assuming in that price range they are all mostly the same?

Thanks

Batty

Why do you not right click your mouse and use the translate the page to english function

1.png

24 minutes ago, gargamon said:

That was my point. All in one desktops are great except if there's flaky power where a laptop is a much better solution. 

Funny, my laptop will run at least a day without external power. 

So will mine, but I use a UPS mainly to keep the router alive during short power outs. Even a few seconds outage will knock it off-line and it will then take 2-5 minutes to recover again. Very inconvenient when I'm downloading a movie or having an on-line chat with someone.

But you still missed my main point. The O/P had 'recently bought an all-in-one desktop'. He's not likely to change his mind now and switch to a lap top is he.

• Like 1

I have a Syndome ECO II, Power Rating: 2200 VA / 1320 W. I have a PC, 2 monitors, router, True Visions box, and TV connected to it. It will supply power for about 30 minutes when the power goes out. I comes with software that I installed on the PC to monitor the UPS and I set it to shutdown the PC after 15 minutes. I had to put in a new battery after 2 1/2 years, I got it at IT City for 7,900 baht. There are cheaper ones with a lower power rating. 

Syndome ECO II.jpg

6 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

The purpose of a UPS is not to keep the computer running but to shut down the computer safely. 

Your purpose may be to do that, however mine is to keep the minimum units, routers, Ethernet switches, security cameras & NVR, running for as long as it takes, potentially hours.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your purpose may be to do that, however mine is to keep the minimum units, routers, Ethernet switches, security cameras & NVR, running for as long as it takes, potentially hours.

When the power goes off, your upstream routing devices will likely go off to.  So what is the point?

24 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

When the power goes off, your upstream routing devices will likely go off to.  So what is the point?

Your upstream devices may go down/off. My provider has backup power, so, so far I have never had a power cut to my house effect my fibre connection. So that is the point

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your upstream devices may go down/off. My provider has backup power, so, so far I have never had a power cut to my house effect my fibre connection. So that is the point

It depends if you have a condo or not, but your provider will have a small noc in the condo and that will lose power.  If you have a house there will be a noc nearby.  You'll find out. 

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Buy a generator.

• Agree 1