UPS from Lazada?

Batty

11 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

It depends if you have a condo or not, but your provider will have a small noc in the condo and that will lose power.  If you have a house there will be a noc nearby.  You'll find out. 

I don’t have a condo. There is no nearby network operations centre. I have had power cuts ranging for minutes to several hours, my internet supply did not get cut. So your vast knowledge is sadly lacking and your predictions that I will lose connection has not proven true yet, and may never be. I wait, but won’t hold my breath.

11 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Buy a generator.

I have no need for the noise, smell, disruption and bothersomeness of a generator. My setup silently (apart from warning tones) runs the necessary equipment for several hours and with batteries with more capacity can do the same for days 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

When the power goes off, your upstream routing devices will likely go off to.  So what is the point?

They (DSLAM/MSAN?) usually have battery backup, I lose grid power all the time but my internet still works without interruption.

https://www.facebook.com/NS.net/photos/a.699290313417141/944921128854057/?type=3

"Typical outdoor MSAN cabinet consists of NarrowBand (POTS), BroadBand (xDSL) services, batteries with rectifiers, optical transmission unit and copper distribution frame."

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t have a condo. There is no nearby network operations centre. I have had power cuts ranging for minutes to several hours, my internet supply did not get cut. So your vast knowledge is sadly lacking and your predictions that I will lose connection has not proven true yet, and may never be. I wait, but won’t hold my breath.

I have no need for the noise, smell, disruption and bothersomeness of a generator. My setup silently (apart from warning tones) runs the necessary equipment for several hours and with batteries with more capacity can do the same for days 

I don't believe you have enough battery to last for hours. 

Prove it.

• Sad 1

As someone mentioned earlier, the purpose of a UPS is to give you enough time to save your work and shutdown the PC properly. Also, it will protect the PC from low/high spikes and brownouts. Normally, you don't use a computer for an extended period of time when running on a UPS.

For a Desktop, a ~ 650VA would be enough and it will not empty your purse! APC is quite good for home use.

If you need to work continuously for hours during a power outage, then another solution is needed.

Of course, if money is not an issue, sky is the limit! 

Edited by ravip
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

When the power goes off, your upstream routing devices will likely go off to.  So what is the point?

For a short period, just a while ago that was happening to our True connection. I photographed the router (which was indicating signal failure) and had the True techi call in. He recognized the problem and soon had it fixed. The upstream router has its own miniature UPS apparently and the battery needed replacing. All good now.

So there is a point to having a UPS. (and the phone number of your internet provider)

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Well I bought a whole house UPS good for 16hrs if no solar and no grid.

Only 100,000bht.

Great. So the OP need to spend 100K or more to protect his AIO?

Love this type of helpful tips

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

The purpose of a UPS is not to keep the computer running but to shut down the computer safely. 

Then unplug the PC until the power comes back on. DO NOT carry on working, take time for a break, give your eyes a rest, go out for a meal, have a kip.

However, your PC/AIO/laptop will not automatically turn back on when the power returns, you have to press the ON button. So  a surge will not affect it.

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Then unplug the PC until the power comes back on. DO NOT carry on working, take time for a break, give your eyes a rest, go out for a meal, have a kip.

However, your PC/AIO/laptop will not automatically turn back on when the power returns, you have to press the ON button. So  a surge will not affect it.

That's wrong. His PC will turn on when power returns if he has set the bios to do so. 

Why would he have to unplug it if he is connected to a UPS? 

It's not as if power cuts are scheduled here. They happen randomly. 

1 minute ago, DudleySquat said:

That's wrong. His PC will turn on when power returns if he has set the bios to do so. 

Why would he have to unplug it if he is connected to a UPS? 

It's not as if power cuts are scheduled here. They happen randomly. 

Well he should change his bios

Just to be on the safe side if his bios is not changed

Then my suggestions should prevent any problem

Get one of these Powercoms:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/powercom-cleanline-d-1000i-pw1-000330-i271925167-s427518327.html

Popular brand, global, established. Simple & reliable. Replacement batteries available at Lazada or your local electric shop, and easy to replace yourself. I've had one for years and like it. I like it better than the old APC I had. I now think APCs are overpriced.  

22 hours ago, gargamon said:

That was my point. All in one desktops are great except if there's flaky power where a laptop is a much better solution. 

Funny, my laptop will run at least a day without external power. 

He has a desktop with a large screen for a reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I don't believe you have enough battery to last for hours. 

Prove it.

Look at the 3rd picture in my post on page 1, since you seem to have some difficulty in being sure of details, it is not the picture with the cat and TV but the one with the yellow CyberPower box. The CyberPower unit in picture one usually only runs a single router and Ethernet switch if the power cut is a long one.

Your belief is as unimportant. The fact is that the batteries have lasted during a 4~6 hour power cut and it is a very simple, though not exactly cheap, to add further capacity. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

CyberPower UPS is value for money and quite a bit cheaper than APC. They also have a two-year on-site guarantee I’ve had technicians come out to my house in the middle of nowhere twice. This was for battery failures. However, replacing the battery is really quite simple and remarkably inexpensive, Batteries are about 175~ 250 baht for one and you need two for the UPS 

this is the one approved by my cat for keeping her router powered and warm, it also powers the TVIMG_9557.thumb.jpeg.ef8a366886f1ca598bb9cc9e20d52c83.jpeg

This is another in the range, you can drop in price for lower power

IMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.9a67ef12347304dcc446d687f00dd54e.jpeg

and then this gets rather more expensive but powers the security system and several computers 

IMG_8047.jpeg

AFIK all cyberpower UPS offerings can shut down your computer if the computer is windows, the shutdown may also work on Mac, I have never configured it so can’t comment on the functionality but it is in the SW.

it looks like a wiring nightmare. How do you know it won't explode?

26 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

it looks like a wiring nightmare. How do you know it won't explode?

Diddly I pity your sleep. I have no idea of what your nightmares are made of :stoner:  however the only things that need a little attention are the battery terminals, as if you try hard and drop a piece of metal across them you could short them out. But explode!:cheesy: Individually 12V in circuit 24V.

The wiring is unit -> battery -> battery -> unit with a voltage indicator across the input/output wires so whatever is causing your nightmares you should either stop or change the medication :1zgarz5:

Yes they are on my IMG_8089.jpeg.a01269699b5eb458e03e2144beb311cf.jpeg list though not very high.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Diddly I pity your sleep. I have no idea of what your nightmares are made of :stoner:  however the only things that need a little attention are the battery terminals, as if you try hard and drop a piece of metal across them you could short them out. But explode!:cheesy: Individually 12V in circuit 24V.

The wiring is unit -> battery -> battery -> unit with a voltage indicator across the input/output wires so whatever is causing your nightmares you should either stop or change the medication :1zgarz5:

Yes they are on my IMG_8089.jpeg.a01269699b5eb458e03e2144beb311cf.jpeg list though not very high.

Keep an eye on the cat.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2023 at 5:24 AM, gargamon said:

Use a laptop instead. Built in UPS.

Maybe but I'm not sure about surge protection,

Also in all probablity he will have a router for inet and that needs protecting also.

If you lose your router through a  power cut and have a battery operated device (laptop/tablet)  - try tethering your mobile (whilst the battery lasts).

On 12/26/2023 at 1:02 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

CyberPower UPS is value for money and quite a bit cheaper than APC. They also have a two-year on-site guarantee I’ve had technicians come out to my house in the middle of nowhere twice. This was for battery failures. However, replacing the battery is really quite simple and remarkably inexpensive, Batteries are about 175~ 250 baht for one and you need two for the UPS 

this is the one approved by my cat for keeping her router powered and warm, it also powers the TVIMG_9557.thumb.jpeg.ef8a366886f1ca598bb9cc9e20d52c83.jpeg

This is another in the range, you can drop in price for lower power

IMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.9a67ef12347304dcc446d687f00dd54e.jpeg

and then this gets rather more expensive but powers the security system and several computers 

IMG_8047.jpeg

AFIK all cyberpower UPS offerings can shut down your computer if the computer is windows, the shutdown may also work on Mac, I have never configured it so can’t comment on the functionality but it is in the SW.

What kind of batteries are those?

On 1/1/2024 at 9:21 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Which of the 2 units are you talking about? The little one uses standard SLA’s

The big gray 12 volt batteries next to the yellow/mustard colored Cyberpower box.   
Gel, sealed lead acid, maintenance free lead acid batteries ???

I don't know what the SLA means.   

I am interested in having a UPS that the electronics can be plugged into to block power surges, low power and over power of the mains.     

You are in Thailand right?  If so, where did you purchase the Cyberpower unit?

Edited by radiochaser

51 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

The big gray 12 volt batteries next to the yellow/mustard colored Cyberpower box.   
Gel, sealed lead acid, maintenance free lead acid batteries ???

Yes. That system is designed to allow as much capacity as you want, just add more batteries or bigger ones, they are also deep cycle batteries.

I don't know what the SLA means.   

Sealed Lead Acid

I am interested in having a UPS that the electronics can be plugged into to block power surges, low power and over power of the mains.     

Both of my units can do exactly that

You are in Thailand right?  If so, where did you purchase the Cyberpower unit?

Yes, it is classed as an EPS rather than a UPS though it does the same job just better and virtually infinitely expandable. You can find them on Lazada, don’t get one that is too big as you can always add to the system 

IMG_8109.thumb.jpeg.31df9e5d0c915510223a7d528528657b.jpeg
NB don’t believe Diddly he clearly doesn’t know what he is talking about 

The cost of an EPS is roughly similar to a UPS it’s just better if you want serious long time battery usage and don’t mind the industrial looks of them.

I use a Inverter and 12 volt car battery run desktop pc, monitor, pedestal Fan, router it has a battery charge when power comes back on lasts about 3 to 4 hrs

if anybody interested have a 2000watt inverter that i used to run it has just been refurbished  see photos for sale 12,000 baht plus postage for sale can contact on here leave msg

20240105_095748.jpg

20240105_095955.jpg

20240105_100004.jpg

31 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

A UPS wont power your system for a few hours, it allows you to shut down everything in a controlled way. If you want it to power everything for a couple of hours then an industrial UPS is what you need,

A ups as shown in the photos WILL power my system for at least 2 to 3 hrs its what i have been using for the last few years  think you need to go back to school

12 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

A UPS wont power your system for a few hours, it allows you to shut down everything in a controlled way. If you want it to power everything for a couple of hours then an industrial UPS is what you need,

You clearly don’t know that there are versions that will power your equipment for hours, I have one. You choose the battery power you want and the output power.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:42 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes. That system is designed to allow as much capacity as you want, just add more batteries or bigger ones, they are also deep cycle batteries.

Sealed Lead Acid

Both of my units can do exactly that

Yes, it is classed as an EPS rather than a UPS though it does the same job just better and virtually infinitely expandable. You can find them on Lazada, don’t get one that is too big as you can always add to the system 

IMG_8109.thumb.jpeg.31df9e5d0c915510223a7d528528657b.jpeg
NB don’t believe Diddly he clearly doesn’t know what he is talking about 

The cost of an EPS is roughly similar to a UPS it’s just better if you want serious long time battery usage and don’t mind the industrial looks of them.

OK, thanks.  I need to look into the EPS thing more.  I would like to have something to use at the condo when the family is there..   (can you believe the daughter wants to stay at our condo with the grandkids when we are all in Thailand instead of her place?  Just because wife and I have a better condo!  shaking my head... lol)

I did a quick internet search and the first three links had virtually the same information about UPS's and EPS's!   Still the description of an EPS may be what I have at the house in the U.S. of A. and call a standby generator.   Rated at 22 kilowatts, the generator can run the whole house, including the furnace for heat during the winter or the air-conditioned during summer.  I can turn everything on at the same time if I wanted to.    I have a UPS with dead batteries that I am going to replace with new batteries and use it in my den with the computer and TV that I use for a monitor.   The problem I have here is, half the house is on one phase of electrical power and half the house is on another.   Lights stay on in the den and my TV shuts off sometimes.   

I don't think will need and EPS system in Thailand at the condo.   I believe they had a standby/emergency generator that will kick in and power the condo building if the mains power shuts down.   But I am not sure.   The transformers for the mains power were replaced last year in July.   While that was going on I heard a generator running but I think the only thing that was powered up in the building were the elevators (or just one elevator), I can't recall correctly.  When I am back in Thailand this year I will have to find out more about that.   If the emergency generator will only run the elevators in the building (and other stuff like sump pumps etc) but not power the lights, then that  means I have to make a decision if I need an EPS or UPS  in the condo.   I can open the balcony doors (two balcony's) and get cross draft that can keep the place cool, but there is a lot of wind blowing through as we are on the 26th floor.  

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I did a quick internet search and the first three links had virtually the same information about UPS's and EPS's!   Still the description of an EPS may be what I have at the house in the U.S. of A. and call a standby generator. 

An EPS can be a standby generator however it doesn’t need to be.

The EPS I have is an APC and battery powered UPS. it is designed to supply power to 1050W of draw or 4.7A it can supply this load indefinitely only subject to sufficient battery power being available. The minimum suggested supply is 12V x 50Ah X 2 deep cycle. You can add batteries for a longer run time or a generator if you prefer 

The OP's ask is quite modest:

On 12/26/2023 at 9:06 AM, Batty said:

Apparently, I need a UPS to ensure the safety of my computer when a blackout happens.

Have time to shutdown his PC gracefully or let the UPS software do it. Protection against power surges. Typical; standard.

He's been given suggestions for a couple of suitable models, believe it or not. No need for a generator, go solar and off the grid, whole house protection, hours of uptime, or a new laptop computer. I've sometimes said that asking for a little help here is like walking into a gym full of preening bodybuilders and asking for toning advice.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

The OP's ask is quite modest:

Have time to shutdown his PC gracefully or let the UPS software do it. Protection against power surges. Typical; standard.

He's been given suggestions for a couple of suitable models, believe it or not. No need for a generator, go solar and off the grid, whole house protection, hours of uptime, or a new laptop computer. I've sometimes said that asking for a little help here is like walking into a gym full of preening bodybuilders and asking for toning advice.

Obviously those living in a single room don't have the options to run a generator or install solar.