UPS from Lazada?

Batty

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Obviously those living in a single room don't have the options to run a generator or install solar.

Did the OP say he was living in a single room? But even if he's living in a rabbit hutch out in the weeds, he didn't mention any need or desire to waste money on a generator or solar to shut down his PC gracefully and protect it against power surges. Anyway, what if he may be put out on the street at just any time? Would seem a questionable investment. But if he does, now, you may relish describing at length your hutch system.

Edited by BigStar

On 1/6/2024 at 10:48 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

An EPS can be a standby generator however it doesn’t need to be.

The EPS I have is an APC and battery powered UPS. it is designed to supply power to 1050W of draw or 4.7A it can supply this load indefinitely only subject to sufficient battery power being available. The minimum suggested supply is 12V x 50Ah X 2 deep cycle. You can add batteries for a longer run time or a generator if you prefer 

This if for a condo on the 26th floor.   I don't think they will like it if I put a generator on the balcony.   I am sure my wife won't!  :stoner:

Mostly I am interested in keeping the electronics from being damaged and keep them on during the period that a switch over to the emergency generator I think the condo has.   Secondary desire is to have the system shut my computer down, if it can do that.   Damn OS now had a screen login and I am not sure how the emergency system can bypass that and then shut the computer down after a specified period of time.    The computer here at home in the U.S.of A.  does not go to sleep nor does the screen saver need a password.   I am not sure about the computer I will be using in Thailand. 

Thanks for the information, it has been helpful.  

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Mostly I am interested in keeping the electronics from being damaged and keep them on during the period that a switch over to the emergency generator I think the condo has. 

Your condo emergency generator will power the building safety lights if they aren't battery powered. It might also power an elevator or two. Not the condos themselves. Surge protectors will be adequate for preventing damage if you don't need battery backup. Some are better than others. Our experts can advise. 

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Secondary desire is to have the system shut my computer down, if it can do that.   Damn OS now had a screen login and I am not sure how the emergency system can bypass that and then shut the computer down after a specified period of time. 

UPS monitoring software runs as a service, unaffected by a screensaver or login. If your computer's already asleep, it's not drawing much power and may just sleep through the outage. We rarely have outages in the developed area where I live, and if so they're brief. They always happen just when I'm ready for a hot shower.

However, the UPS software will likely still work even during computer sleep mode if, for one thing, you set the USB port to stay on during sleep. Etc. 

On 1/9/2024 at 3:13 AM, BigStar said:

Your condo emergency generator will power the building safety lights if they aren't battery powered. It might also power an elevator or two. Not the condos themselves. Surge protectors will be adequate for preventing damage if you don't need battery backup. Some are better than others. Our experts can advise. 

UPS monitoring software runs as a service, unaffected by a screensaver or login. If your computer's already asleep, it's not drawing much power and may just sleep through the outage. We rarely have outages in the developed area where I live, and if so they're brief. They always happen just when I'm ready for a hot shower.

However, the UPS software will likely still work even during computer sleep mode if, for one thing, you set the USB port to stay on during sleep. Etc. 

I have experienced more outages here in the U.S. of A. than in Thailand, for the last 2 decades.   Just last night, the storm that blew through was causing intermittent loss of power.   I need UPS's more here than there.   
I only started thinking about this last year when the condo shut the power off during the exchange of transformers outside the building.   My laptop is usually on all the time.   But it is the TV's  I am concerned about there and here.   Downstairs computer here, has a UPS with wifi/router, monitor, and computer on it.