Cannot connect from laptop to external Dell 27” screen via hdmi

NewGuy

Maybe bad news for me. My laptop is a Win 11 Acer about 6 months old, working ok. The Dell monitor is 4-7 years old. Until a few weeks ago everything worked well though I wasn’t using the Acer much. Now that I need to use it a lot I find that on Dell turn on I get a message saying no hdmi signal and it goes into all black power saving mode. I’ve given myself a few shocks when touching the cord’s hdmi-Dell end. Both laptop and monitor were bought at J.I.B. Tukcom.

How should I approach this issue?  Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Maybe bad news for me. My laptop is a Win 11 Acer about 6 months old, working ok. The Dell monitor is 4-7 years old. Until a few weeks ago everything worked well though I wasn’t using the Acer much. Now that I need to use it a lot I find that on Dell turn on I get a message saying no hdmi signal and it goes into all black power saving mode. I’ve given myself a few shocks when touching the cord’s hdmi-Dell end. Both laptop and monitor were bought at J.I.B. Tukcom.

Go to your settings and see what it says there. It is possible that Win 11 is not compatible with your monitor. A lot of people have found such issues with printers and other peripheral devices.

• Confused 1

All prior answers are so wrong. Too many IT experts. 

Here is 45 years of experience: Check the monitor and see if the input is set to auto. I suspect the input for the monitor is set to another connection, not HDMI. Change it to Auto or HDMI.

Find that setting, and the monitor will miraculously work. 

If that isn't it, check the cable. I suspect this is a cable you have used before. 

Edited by DudleySquat

Following Red Phoenix’s suggestion, I unplugged the hdmi cable from the laptop. The Dell displayed a message that no hdmi cable was connected. When I plugged it in again, the Dell told me there was no hdmi signal. BTW, the gold tip hdmi cable, came with the monitor.

31 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Thanks In the Jungle. Unfortunately the Dell download site displays ‘This service is temporarily not available’.  I will keep trying every few days.

Windows has everything it needs to run multiple displays. You don't need extra software.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewGuy said:

I don’t know anything about your pc though it’s possible that there may be an issue with the graphics card. Is the pc and monitor vga compatible? If so try using the vga cord. 

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1

What an exhausting weekend. My laptop just rebooted (don’t kniw why) and both laptop and Dell were working. 

not looking for trouble but maybe the under warrantee laptop needs looking at. I’ve been have issues with my qbittorrent. An example, twice the default directories were not seen and were identified as ‘1’. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 6:18 PM, NewGuy said:

Start with a new cord and hope you didn't short the hdmi port(s).

Hi Joebuzzz, before, while I could not connect to the external display, for some reason my laptop rebooted (without my assistance). After that reboot both the laptop and Dell monitor were on and working well. Since then I haven’t had issues. Thanks.