Hi

Money That is!

Can anyone tell me if Kasikorn and Siam Commercial charge for debit transactions at their atm's, I bank with TSB in the UK. I arrived here not long ago with 11000bht in my pocket, and when i used it up then used the ATMs. I tried to stick to the named above as it said transcaction fee zero. Within 3-4 days approx 40,000bht had gone from my account. My expendetures here are mostly food and travel as i live here part of the year.

Thanks

Edited by TommyGun

I bank with TSB in the UK...used the ATMs...transcaction fee zero. Within 3-4 days approx 40,000bht had gone from my account.

I don’t quite understand your post. When you say you used the ATMs in Thailand I assume you used them to withdraw money from your UK bank account. Even if there is no transaction fee, the amount you withdraw will obviously be debited to your account, ie the money will be gone from your account.

--

Maestro

Hi TG.

I think that you'll find it's good old Lloyds TSB that's making charges.

You're a Brit so you can have a Nationwide Flexaccount. They make no overseas withdrawal charges, you get a debit/ATM card and you can manage your account on line. You can also have an on line savings account, enabling you to earn some interest and transfer money to your Flexaccount whenever you need to use it. If you really want to, you can also have a credit card and make the monthly payment on line.

Apply when you next get back to the UK.

Nearly all U.K banks charge for using their ATM cards abroad, the Thai banks will also have a charge for doing this. The no charge thing you saw is if you use another Thai banks card in that ATM.

Your question doesnt really make sense. Did you spend the 40,000 baht or not?

Jake

Nearly all U.K banks charge for using their ATM cards abroad, the Thai banks will also have a charge for doing this. The no charge thing you saw is if you use another Thai banks card in that ATM.

Your question doesnt really make sense. Did you spend the 40,000 baht or not?

Jake

Sorry. What i'm trying to say is there is no way i could have spent that money. when i arrived i stayed in Sakaeo for 3 days eating Lao food, spending very little. 300bht per day roughly. Went home to Bangkok and used the atm 4 times over a period of five days. Big C etc. Something has gone wrong somewhere and stupidly i haven't saved the transaction slips. I have spoken to my bank who are investigating and have confirmed that they do not charge for overseas transaction. My GF seems to think despite the ATMs here saying fee 0, that they are probably charging me.

It doesn't make sense " 4 times over a period of five days. Big C etc. " then " between 500 and 2000 out. On one day i took 9000, 3 withdrawels in a day of 3000bht." so we have 11000 in withdrawals and a trip to big C. Are you sure there wasn't a bill paid in the UK with direct debit? ATM's sometimes charge 20 baht if you use another bank but you are saying that there is 20+k missing... Maybe someone has scammed your card.

If you are making lots of small withdrawals rather than a few larger one's that could be the problem. Halifax used to charge me 4 pounds + 2% per transaction and the exchange rates were also not great, with that in mind it obviously makes sense to take the maximum amount possible for each withdrawal and keep the money hidden in your underwear draw.............................Unless your girlfriend has access to your underwear draw that is!! :o:D

ATM fees will be about 1 percent of what you withdraw I believe. It looks like you didn't keep track of your money very well, so I think you just withdrew more than you thought. It can add up pretty quick. 1 percent of 40,000 is 400, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out you actually withdrew something in the area of 39,000 baht.

As said the thread makes no sense as your UK bank account is surly not in Baht. How did you determine you lost 40,000 baht? You need to post figures for people to understand. Surly your bank lists transactions?

One thing to remember is that there is a large difference in exchange rates at the present time - the rate used in Thailand is much better than that used outside the country. Expect card use would have been charged the offshore (bad) rate of exchange. But that does not account for the amount you believe you lost. You need a list of card use and that should be available on-line I would think. Then try to match it up with what you remember.

As said the thread makes no sense as your UK bank account is surly not in Baht. How did you determine you lost 40,000 baht? You need to post figures for people to understand. Surly your bank lists transactions?

One thing to remember is that there is a large difference in exchange rates at the present time - the rate used in Thailand is much better than that used outside the country. Expect card use would have been charged the offshore (bad) rate of exchange. But that does not account for the amount you believe you lost. You need a list of card use and that should be available on-line I would think. Then try to match it up with what you remember.

I am afraid the OP has habits that seriously impede his memories and overall cerebral activities.