Visa extension

Currently I got Non-Immigrant type B Visa, multiple entry, and Work Permit with a BOI promoted company X. I will leave this company and prepare the corporate presence in Thailand (BOI or non-BOI to be decided) for company Y.

Can I apply for a new Non-Immigrant type B Visa (or other type), multiple entry, to support my stay in Thailand while setting up company Y ?

Any input welcome.

???

A "visa" can only be issued at an embassy outside Thailand.  Visas are issued overseas by representatives of the Foreign Ministry.

"Entry permits" are issued inside Thailand, at international entry points, by Thai Immigration, which is part of Police, which is part of Ministry of Interior.

When your employment with present company ends, and they cancel your work permit, this will result in curtailment of your current entry permit - you will have seven days to leave the country.

My firm (www.indo-siam.com) helps foreigners start companies here, process work permits, entry permit extensions, etc.

If your current employer would be cooperative, the way to proceeed would be to start company "Y" (with 2 million baht capital paid in, and four Thai employees), secure a second entry in your work permit for employment with company Y, and then terminate employment with first company.  Your present entry permit will remain valid.

If that is not an option, then you will need to leave Thailand to secure a new non-immigrant "B" visa overseas.  My firm provides our clients with a letter on our letterhead, indicating that we are contracted to start a company for this individual, and requesting that a non-immigrant "B" visa be issued.  This has not failed thus far.

You will then come back to Thailand with a non0immigrant Class B visa, and be issued a 90 day entry permit. You then need to start a company quickly - we can typically do this in about 20 days (including a nine-day waiting period) - less if our client is really well prepared (has an office location identified, and has landlord's certificate of occupancy already in hand).  Once company is incorportaed, we can then process a work permit - about another 30 days (less if client has all papers in order, quickly pays in 2 million baht capital, and has at least four Thai employees already lined up), including two week turn-around at Labor Department.  This work permit will only be valid until the end of client's present entry permit (whatever remains of the 90 days).

Once work permit is issued, we can then apply for one-year entry permit extension.  We can be ready with this packet as soon as work permit is issued.  We then submit request for extended entry permit.  This normally takes  six to 10 weeks to turn-around at Immigration - and if this delay takes you beyond your present entry permit, they will extend that entry permit 30 days at a time.  This means that you must also renew your work permit - possibly several times, for one month at a time.  Paying a bribe can help speed up approval of the entry permit application.

Once entry permit extension is granted, we can then apply (same day, same building) for a multiple entry re-entry permit.

At this point, you are done - except that you will still be on a short-term work permit.  So we can then renew the work permit one more time to match the remaining period on your "one year" entry permit extension  (NOTE: That "one year" will extend from the original issuance date of the Class B visa that you used to enter Thailand - not from the date that the entry permit extension is approved).

You mention possibly forming a BOI company.   If you form a BOI company and then capitalize at at least 30 million baht, you can then utilize the services of the BOI one-stop center for work permits and entry permit extensions - this is a really streamlined, efficient process - taking hours instead of months.

'Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

Indo-Siam