Getting a credit card at a Thai bank

I am finding that i want to do less and less banking with Canada.  However, there is still the need for a credit card once in awhile.

I have funds in my account at Kasikorn and am wondering if i can do the old credit card with a limit attached to my bank account.

I have had the account for 13 years and am on retirement for the same period

11 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I am finding that i want to do less and less banking with Canada.  However, there is still the need for a credit card once in awhile.

I have funds in my account at Kasikorn and am wondering if i can do the old credit card with a limit attached to my bank account.

Yes you can as you described. They will block the amount of your credit limit on the card. So if your card credit limit is 150k for example then 150k will be unavailable to be withdrawn from your Bank account balance. VISA platinum is an excellent card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i know some who got some years ago. however, now... i would say impossible. i asked for one when reps of a bank came to my school once and they said sure. turns out the only one they would give foreigners was one of those prepaid ones where you put in lets say   100 000bht. then you get to pay all the yearly service charges for the money you put in the bank.,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i know some who got some years ago. however, now... i would say impossible. i asked for one when reps of a bank came to my school once and they said sure. turns out the only one they would give foreigners was one of those prepaid ones where you put in lets say   100 000bht. then you get to pay all the yearly service charges for the money you put in the bank.,

A prepad actualy would work also.  It is just for things that I need to use a cc lilke a hotel or different online purchase.  It is ot for credit per se it is simply a card to use and replenish. 

11 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It is ot for credit per se it is simply a card to use and replenish. 

you replenish it as you wish... if the bank charges dont bother you...

for me this was the same as having a debit atm card

21 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

A prepad actualy would work also.  It is just for things that I need to use a cc lilke a hotel or different online purchase.  It is ot for credit per se it is simply a card to use and replenish. 

Car rentals in many countries don't accept prepaids.

• Like 2

it's called a 'bonded' credit card, you open an account with the amount and the bank will blocked off the amount, only paying back interest.  you have to make payment on the credit you use and interest if you don't pay back in full - essentially borrowing against your own money 

good question is that can you use this deposit to show immigration to satisfy your retirement/marriage extension say if you put the required 4/800,000 in an account and have bonded credit card for that account, you can then spend the amount that otherwise be sitting untouched 

46 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If it’s in Thailand, use scan pay. If that isn’t available, use a virtual debit card provided by your bank. A few do that. Otherwise just use your Thai debit card.

Even if you could get a credit card in Thailand it wouldn’t be worth having. Surely you can get a card issued in Canada, shipped to a relatives, address and then they can send you a photo of the card. Then you can add it to Apple pay or whatever and it use that way.

Edited by Everyman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Everyman said:

If it’s in Thailand, use scan pay. If that isn’t available, use a virtual debit card provided by your bank. A few do that. Otherwise just use your Thai debit card.

Even if you could get a credit card in Thailand it wouldn’t be worth having. Surely you can get a card issued in Canada, shipped to a relatives, address and then they can send you a photo of the card. Then you can add it to Apple pay or whatever and it use that way.

I have had a credit card with my non-resident Canadian bank account for 2 decades.I seldom use it but it's a nice backup to my medical insurance.Never had a problem and they mail the new cards directly to my house in Pattaya.(takes 1 month) ? 

42 minutes ago, Everyman said:

I have a canadian cc but it is not worth the hassle.  I am trying ot get as much of my financial situated here instead of fooling around with Canadian and trasnfers and such

My experience is that Kasikorn tell you it is a Credit Card, but it is actually a Debit Card, and full repayment taken from your account.  I have also had rouble using my K bank card on internet purchases, and it has a low, and unspecified limit.

21 hours ago, Everyman said:

Even if you could get a credit card in Thailand it wouldn’t be worth having

Why would you say that?

I've had Thai Bank issued (Visa/Mastercard) Credit Cards for over 35 years, and with never a problem. Maybe you are writing on hearsay!

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I just got a new debit card at K-Bank last month.  Went in and asked and it took about 10 minutes.  The card doesn't have my name on it, just "Privileged Member".

Credit cards?  I have no clue.

A little more info, I'm American on visa exempt.  I got the card to replace one that had expired a couple of years ago when I was a Covid refugee outside of Thailand.  They expended some time and energy canceling the last card, which I had cut up soon after it expired.  They were a little dismayed that I didn't have it with me, but not a big problem.  I don't know what that was about.

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Even if you could get a credit card in Thailand it wouldn’t be worth having

Why would you say that?

I've had Thai Bank issued (Visa/Mastercard) Credit Cards for over 35 years, and with never a problem. Maybe you are writing on hearsay!

I said it’s not worth having, not that “you will have a problem.” Perhaps I should explain.

The OP can probably only get a secured card at best and there’s little advantage to that over the other forms of payment i mentioned it. Especially a foreign issued card with an actual credit line. 

So a Thai issued credit card “isn’t worth having” because it’s a poor choice among the other options, not because it is expected to be defective. 

When my K bank card was refused at a travel agent the Owner advised me to try SCB as her experience was that their credit cards were 'better'  Never followed this u, but I have been frustrated by Kasikorn for years.  Despite what they say at the branch, the Cards they issue are Debit Cards, with the full amount deducted from your account every month, and no separate statement available for the card usage.  I remain unimpressed by the service and attitude of my local Kasikorn, but put up with it as that is where my 800KBaht for retirement is.  I find that I still have to keep my UK credit card for use internationally and for on-line purchases.

Regretfully, my experience of Thai Banking is that it remains in the Stone age with no concept of customer service or the world outside Thailand.

I was hoping that this thread would produce recommendations for a bank with a truly international standard credit card.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

It's quite easy for a foreigner to get credit cards in Thailand, 3 scenarios:

1. You don't have a work permit and you don't have money in the bank : no credit card
  2. You don't have a work permit but you get some money in the bank : you can apply for a "secured credit card"
  3. You have a work permit : you can apply for a credit card

Years ago, I was in the scenario # 2 and I got a secured credit card.

When I decided to be based in Thailand (with a TH work permit), I applied for a credit card and got it!

PS: When I was based, as a foreigner, in Czech Republic, Ireland, Kenya, UK, the rules were quite similar: you have a job then you can apply for and get a credit card

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, kingstonkid said:

I have an account with Kasikorn and did exactly what you describe above. It was easy. 

Just go to the bank and get it done. 

• 2 months later...