Thailand Sums Up In Total 284 Deaths in New Year Seven Days of Road Safety Campaign

webfact

Is it possibly the mindset of people today the world over-not just in Thailand,there is the 'I'm all right Jack,stuff everybody else' attitude or the 'it'll never happen to me' attitude not helped by the drink and/or the drug culture.

As Thailand has a large population how do the numbers relate to other countries per capita.

All government departments the world over fiddle the figures to suit their agendas it's not limited to any one country.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I saw a docu-drama about Winston Churchill, and he took rides on the London Underground to speak with passengers about the service.

Inspiring his quote ” if you want an argument against democracy have a 5 minute conversation with an average voter".

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Good job Thailand. Only an average of 40 deaths per day. Pats on the back all-round.

With only 19 deaths in BKK  that leaves only 21 deaths in road related accidents for the rest of Thailand which, if believed, extend that average over 365 days and you get 14,808. Amazing. So is the figure of 26,000 motorcycles/scooter related deaths of  per year a real figure?

Edited by Bobydog
Repeated myself

19 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm not sure Thailand will make it No 1 in ranking? But they are on a good route to achieve the goal.🥴

Lol, Thailand will only reach No.1 in the reality TV show its becoming and that's so sad

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

More racist nonsense! - You are just insulting Thai people.

Its not racist , nor is it insulting, at least it wasn't intended as such, simply a statement of fact.    The Thais are of course, as capable of recognising risk and danger as any other  nationality, and when they are motivated, they are not slow or reluctant to take precautions. 

You don't have to look far for evidence of that,   a quick look on google will tell you that around 35,000 people died from  or with Covid.  That was spread over 2 to 3 years so its clear that considerably less died  from Covid during that time than from road accidents.

. The government reaction to the threat posed by Covid was pretty much in line with the reactions of governments all over the world.  There was little hesitation from the population to wearing masks  or taking  any other  recommended precautionary measures, many of them still wear masks to this day even when on their motorcycles. There was little  hesitation in applying peer pressure and criticising those who were hesitant to do so  via social media etc. and little hesitation from the police regarding the enforcement of such restrictions.    The nation ie the Thais cared,  and they reacted appropriately, for two to three years it was pretty much the main topic in the news and probably the main topic of conversation both in real life and on social media.

The death toll from traffic accidents is not a national secret, Every single day on TV  there are astonishing clips of incidents that defy explanation  occuring on the roads,   every Thai  is well  aware of how dangerous the roads are, but  it is never the main topic of conversation to the same degree as Covid,  Have you ever tried discussing the traffic deaths with Thais ?   I have , and the normal response is a shrug of the shoulders  There is, generally little enthusiasm for complying with traffic regulations, there is little social stigma attached to being drunk at the wheel, and surprisingly little enthusiasm from the police regarding enforcement of the traffic laws, which is somewhat surprising considering how they can benefit financially from doing so, is it not ?   

You are looking at the whole situation through the eyes of a westerner. and your perception of the realities is therefore distorted 

They simply do not care in the same way or to the same degree as you do, they have different priorities, that you and I will never fully understand, They are more concerned about you taking off your shoes before entering the house. Its called cultural difference.

To imply that they do care and are just incapable of changing things due to an inherent lack of intellect is far more racist and insulting 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

Everybody has their own "theory" - just because they drive, they think they are an "expert" (i hate that word) on road safety -  unfortunately they don't add up - they are at best hypotheses but they don't know how to use evidence to back up the idea that presumably came to them either in the toilet or during a drinking session in a bar.

Too fast

No police

Drunk 

THere is NO SINGLE cause for Thailand's deplorable road safety record and these lay-people who think they have the right answer are totally barking up the wrong tree.

You obviously, and from your comments above, rather arrogantly consider yourself to have more "expert " knowledge than the "layman" I have no Idea where you reach your "educated" theories and  conclusions and I see little evidence from you to back them up , whatever they are .

There is one glaringly obvious reason for what you consider to be a deplorable road safety record.  See my previous post,  It is you who are barking up the wrong tree.  Its a culture thing, how could an "exspurt" like you not figure that out

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

Rubbish post - you are not even beginning to understand how road safety works - you are not offering any verifyable evidence to support you purely subjective  claims - I suspect you don't even begin to realise how facile they are.

Omg....

I live & drive in Canada (Alberta), Ireland and Thailand. Have vehicles in all. Drive in all. Insurance in all. When the Calgary Police Service sits in wait at playground zones, operates check stops all year round (not just the 7 daily days), speed traps on highways, pull over vehicles when not using indicator light, pull over vehicles for violations (broken windshields, missing lights, worn tires, other mechanical issues), non use of seatbelts, use of cell phone in car, smoking in your car, and others. VS. Thailand the RTP conduct check stops pulling over Laos drivers because most do not have valid insurance for Thailand because they can fine them and collect money for their pockets....it is absolutely clear this country, Thailand, do not give a damn about people dying on their roadways. The Thai people really don't care as they just need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. 

Road Safety, bah. You come off as a rent a cop, like one of those $14/hr security guards who drive around a work site with a finger up your nose and one hand on your flashlight. 

Funniest thing ever was getting motorcycle license in Ireland. Following behind an "instructor" hooked up to headsets listening to instructions..

"turning left, put your indicator on 5m from the turn"

" gear down when approaching school zone"

Following some guy in a yellow safety jacket like a moron for 3 months to get a driver's card. 

There is absolutely no chance of policing Thailand into a road safe Country. Will never happen. Impossible to alter the driving habits of 25,000,000 people who begin driving motorcycles at the age of 8 or 10. 

No government today, or tomorrow (100years from now), will be able to fix this problem. Period.

Just my opinion.

• Love It 2

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think to say as a blanket that Thais don't care and say that all of them don't would be wrong.

HOWEVER, look at the number of Thais that drive motorbikes with four people and no helmets.  Look at the number of 13-year-olds on bikes with 3-4 of their friends.

The fact that there are laws on the books that state you have to have a license, you have to have insurance, and you have to follow the rules as per speed, drinking, and helmets, and a vast majority of people do not follow or are not punished there is a clear argument that they really do not care.

It is the same as many in Pakistan INSH allah  God willing.

21 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

If you are going to fast to safely stop it is not the police or stationary object fault it is the driver not having care and control.

I can tell you myself, that I was driving on the Mae Hong Son loop and they had them set up immediately after blind corners! Nothing to do with the fault of the driver. Just convenient for the RTP, because it is Infront of their station. To stupid and lazy to set it up in a sensible location.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

I can tell you myself, that I was driving on the Mae Hong Son loop and they had them set up immediately after blind corners! Nothing to do with the fault of the driver. Just convenient for the RTP, because it is Infront of their station. To stupid and lazy to set it up in a sensible location.

hey murphy always had exceptions but my questin is were you able to stop in time?

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its not racist , nor is it insulting, at least it wasn't intended as such, simply a statement of fact. 

Don't worry he calls everyone a racist.

If you say "dogs like chasing sticks" no one ever once in the history of the world meant ALL dogs. When it comes to people however you need to always qualify with "not all" or you're a "racist". It's all so tiresome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rct99q said:

There is absolutely no chance of policing Thailand into a road safe Country. Will never happen. Impossible to alter the driving habits of 25,000,000 people who begin driving motorcycles at the age of 8 or 10. 

No government today, or tomorrow (100years from now), will be able to fix this problem. Period.

Just my opinion.

Agree 100%. For every one sensible Thai person that thinks driving here is broken there are 100 who couldn't care less. They're out numbered and no government local or otherwise will take on the task of fixing the problem.

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

Im shocked to see Phuket so far down that list, it's the worst driving I've seen anywhere in Thailand. Not a week goes by where I dont come across at least one accident on the road, often more. When you consider the population of Chiang Mai compared to Bangkok and Phuket I really have to question the figures.

Edited by Startmeup

45 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Don't worry he calls everyone a racist.

• I'm not worried , there are a few like him on here and i've been called a lot worse, Some see racism everywhere, and if non exists they invent it. Its almost as if there isn't enough racism around for some people.   Regardless of how the Thais apply the law   as far as I am concerned its neither, slander, libel, racist or offensive  as long as its true.   

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its not racist , nor is it insulting, at least it wasn't intended as such, simply a statement of fact.    The Thais are of course, as capable of recognising risk and danger as any other  nationality, and when they are motivated, they are not slow or reluctant to take precautions. 

You don't have to look far for evidence of that,   a quick look on google will tell you that around 35,000 people died from  or with Covid.  That was spread over 2 to 3 years so its clear that considerably less died  from Covid during that time than from road accidents.

. The government reaction to the threat posed by Covid was pretty much in line with the reactions of governments all over the world.  There was little hesitation from the population to wearing masks  or taking  any other  recommended precautionary measures, many of them still wear masks to this day even when on their motorcycles. There was little  hesitation in applying peer pressure and criticising those who were hesitant to do so  via social media etc. and little hesitation from the police regarding the enforcement of such restrictions.    The nation ie the Thais cared,  and they reacted appropriately, for two to three years it was pretty much the main topic in the news and probably the main topic of conversation both in real life and on social media.

The death toll from traffic accidents is not a national secret, Every single day on TV  there are astonishing clips of incidents that defy explanation  occuring on the roads,   every Thai  is well  aware of how dangerous the roads are, but  it is never the main topic of conversation to the same degree as Covid,  Have you ever tried discussing the traffic deaths with Thais ?   I have , and the normal response is a shrug of the shoulders  There is, generally little enthusiasm for complying with traffic regulations, there is little social stigma attached to being drunk at the wheel, and surprisingly little enthusiasm from the police regarding enforcement of the traffic laws, which is somewhat surprising considering how they can benefit financially from doing so, is it not ?   

You are looking at the whole situation through the eyes of a westerner. and your perception of the realities is therefore distorted 

They simply do not care in the same way or to the same degree as you do, they have different priorities, that you and I will never fully understand, They are more concerned about you taking off your shoes before entering the house. Its called cultural difference.

To imply that they do care and are just incapable of changing things due to an inherent lack of intellect is far more racist and insulting 

There is stupid, stupider and racist – anyone who thinks the reason for Thailand’s high road death rate is down to “Thais being stupid” – is just plain wrong – if they don’t see that, they probably fall into one of the 3 previous categories.

Foreigners in Thailand typically use racist viewpoint when criticising road safety which clouds their perception and of course hinders a rational view of the topic.

This harmful practice of attributing negative driving qualities to entire nationalities or races stems from various logical fallacies or just a simplistic untutored attitude to reason and analysis

The most obvious is stereotyping. Humans instinctively love to categorize and simplify information, which leads to stereotypes,  overgeneralized and unhelpful beliefs about a group of people. Stereotypes can be inaccurate and harmful, and in the case of driving, can unfairly paint an entire nation or race as bad drivers This is usually based on limited or anecdotal experiences. People also mistake driving for experience in road safety

Confirmation bias: You ca see this all over this thread and others when people chip in with anecdotes they wrongly perceive as relevant. There is a tendency to pay more attention to information that confirms our existing beliefs, while ignoring or downplaying evidence that contradicts them. This can lead to situations where isolated incidents of bad driving by individuals from a particular group are readily recalled and amplified, while positive examples are overlooked, reinforcing the negative stereotype.

In-group bias: People wrong assume that “at home” all drivers are much better than in Thailand. They ignore the fact that they have advanced road safety systems that protect drivers from their own failures and mistakes. So they assume we are all “superb” drivers in our home countries….In this way, we often favour our own group and view them more positively, while simultaneously harbouring negative biases towards out-groups (e.g. the population of Thailand). This leads to attributing negative traits, like poor driving, to members of other nationalities or races more readily than to our own. This is clearly demonstrated on this thread

As I mentioned earlier people love to put forward a single issue as the answer )(as if no-one had ever thought of it before!) This results in scapegoating (or the “blame game”): For some, when facing frustration or anger in complex situations like traffic crashes, people find it easier to seek a simple explanation to blame. This leads to unfairly and inaccurately targeting specific groups as scapegoats, even if the evidence is lacking… and in the case of accidents in Thailand when was the last time you looked at an RTI report?

Media the media has a huge part in this. Time after time they mispresent the situation – reporters with no understanding of road safety of statistics,  contribute to the problem by focusing only on sensational stories (that sell) involving drivers from certain groups, neglecting to provide broader context or highlighting positive examples. This skewed representation can further solidify negative stereotypes in the public consciousness.

So remember …

One person within any group cannot be accurately represented by a single stereotype.

On this thread there is a general acceptance of negative qualities to entire groups which  is unfair, inaccurate, and harmful.

Focusing on cause rather than association and avoiding generalizations is crucial for to understanding and combating prejudice and understanding road safety.

Instead of resorting to harmful stereotypes, one needs to learn how to challenge one’s own biases and be aware of how they influence our perceptions.

Learn how to RESEARCH not SEARCH to seek out real perspectives and information in order to broaden our understanding.

Don’t tar all motorists with one brush and truly understand why human error is and how it is a constant on ALL roads everywhere.

• Haha 1

the real CAUSES of road safety pronblems

Idiot drivers exist all over the world in roughly the same proportions – There is no preponderance of stupid drivers in Thailand (apart possibly from Expats) to suggest so is a  racist POV and shows a lack of understanding of road safety.

Road safety is a public health issue and it is tackles by protecting ALL road users from themselves.

Most accidents are caused by “human error” – but people don’t understand what that is – it includes YOU!

People love to blame other road users and cite things they see “reckless” driving “too fast” , “don’t care” – these are all subjective expressions and don’t reflect the causes of a crash.

Often they are down to many minor errors – tuning a radio, distracted or failure to react appropriately in the slit second after a collision. Shouting at children in the back? Of course phones and eating are common…but there are many different causes.

Human error is a major factor in road safety, around 90% of all road accidents. This doesn't necessarily mean that drivers are always intentionally reckless or irresponsible. But recognising this is the basis of any successful road safety policy

Here's a breakdown of how human error can manifest in road safety:

Cognitive factors - all drivers make small mistakes every time they get behind the wheel or cock their leg over……

Lack of concentration - distractions like phones, eating, or adjusting the radio can divert a driver's focus from the road, this often leads to missed hazards and delayed reactions.

Poor decision-making: Speeding, ignoring traffic signals, or misjudging gaps in traffic can all be as a result of miscalculation – Just simple things like parallel parking in any country show how motorists are totally unaware of how to control their vehicle.

Fatigue: Drowsiness and lack of sleep impair reaction times and increase the risk of errors. I know of many who boast about how long they can drive in a day etc etc…

Intoxication - People like to say “drunk” as if that is the excuse – the truth is even small amounts of alcohol dissolve inhibitions and affect your judgement so the results are usually an increase in MINOR human error: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly elevates the risk of accidents by affecting coordination, perception, and decision-making.

Physical factors: I know of several expats driving in Thailand who wouldn’t get a licence back home so medical conditions: obvious conditions like epilepsy, but alos diabetes, or vision problems can impair driving ability. Many are totally unaware of their own vision impairment – this is nothing to do with being “Thai”.

Many expats are old: They seem unaware that as we age, reaction times and cognitive abilities slow down, increasing the risk of errors on the road.

As people get older they are less good at driving in adverse conditions – and this is not helped by the quality of Thai roads or their signs and markings which are often invisible in poor weather.  Or bright sunlight even

Poor road design: Confusing or unclear road markings, inadequate lighting, or potholes can contribute to accidents especially as about 50% of traffic on Thai roads has 2 wheels.

Adverse weather conditions: Rain, low visibility driving as dusk etc can make driving more challenging and increase the risk of errors for all of us.

Attributing an accident solely to "human error" is oversimplifying the issue. Often, a combination of factors, including the road environment, vehicle condition, and the driver's state, can contribute to an accident., but as most people are unaware of what human error really is and how it is responsible for up to 90% of crashes it is important to understand this better. None of this related to race or nationality – but it can be addressed by governments as a public health problem not as simply saying Thai people are bad drivers.

there are of course some other causes but it is how governments address these problems that is important not some racist perception of Thai people ... please don't start using the word culture as an althernative justification of a racist point of view.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, rct99q said:

Omg....

I live & drive in Canada (Alberta), Ireland and Thailand. Have vehicles in all.

Why is it that people think that just because they drive or have driven somewhere they consider themselves to be in a position to comment of road safety?

BTW - I have driven in Edmonton, Alberta and Vancouver BC, as well as Washington, Oregon and California.

I've also driven in Australia, Morocco, Italy, Spain, Portugal Germany, France Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg Austria

I've driven FURTHER than you in Thailand and also in Laos and Malaysia. but that doesn't make be an expert of road safety - it is the analysis I get from critically thinking about road safety and working in a traffic engineers department that helps most.

People are incapable of interpreting what they see - what they call "experience" is in reality just an accumulation of bad habits backed up by confirmation bias and a liberal dose of cognitive dissonance.

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

You obviously, and from your comments above, rather arrogantly consider yourself to have more "expert " knowledge than the "layman" I have no Idea where you reach your "educated" theories and  conclusions and I see little evidence from you to back them up , whatever they are .

There is one glaringly obvious reason for what you consider to be a deplorable road safety record.  See my previous post,  It is you who are barking up the wrong tree.  Its a culture thing, how could an "exspurt" like you not figure that out

people who use the word "expert" as a term of abuse to describe others usually do so because they themselves no nothing about a topic, can't argue against it a therefore use it in a derogatory sense - but it still has no meaning.

Another thing they do is resort to sealioning.

So - "evidence" - what evidence would you like? and furthermore what  counter-evidence have you presented?

Edited by kwilco

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

There is stupid, stupider and racist – anyone who thinks the reason for Thailand’s high road death rate is down to “Thais being stupid” – is just plain wrong – if they don’t see that, they probably fall into one of the 3 previous categories.

Foreigners in Thailand typically use racist viewpoint when criticising road safety which clouds their perception and of course hinders a rational view of the topic.

This harmful practice of attributing negative driving qualities to entire nationalities or races stems from various logical fallacies or just a simplistic untutored attitude to reason and analysis

The most obvious is stereotyping. Humans instinctively love to categorize and simplify information, which leads to stereotypes,  overgeneralized and unhelpful beliefs about a group of people. Stereotypes can be inaccurate and harmful, and in the case of driving, can unfairly paint an entire nation or race as bad drivers This is usually based on limited or anecdotal experiences. People also mistake driving for experience in road safety

Confirmation bias: You ca see this all over this thread and others when people chip in with anecdotes they wrongly perceive as relevant. There is a tendency to pay more attention to information that confirms our existing beliefs, while ignoring or downplaying evidence that contradicts them. This can lead to situations where isolated incidents of bad driving by individuals from a particular group are readily recalled and amplified, while positive examples are overlooked, reinforcing the negative stereotype.

In-group bias: People wrong assume that “at home” all drivers are much better than in Thailand. They ignore the fact that they have advanced road safety systems that protect drivers from their own failures and mistakes. So they assume we are all “superb” drivers in our home countries….In this way, we often favour our own group and view them more positively, while simultaneously harbouring negative biases towards out-groups (e.g. the population of Thailand). This leads to attributing negative traits, like poor driving, to members of other nationalities or races more readily than to our own. This is clearly demonstrated on this thread

As I mentioned earlier people love to put forward a single issue as the answer )(as if no-one had ever thought of it before!) This results in scapegoating (or the “blame game”): For some, when facing frustration or anger in complex situations like traffic crashes, people find it easier to seek a simple explanation to blame. This leads to unfairly and inaccurately targeting specific groups as scapegoats, even if the evidence is lacking… and in the case of accidents in Thailand when was the last time you looked at an RTI report?

Media the media has a huge part in this. Time after time they mispresent the situation – reporters with no understanding of road safety of statistics,  contribute to the problem by focusing only on sensational stories (that sell) involving drivers from certain groups, neglecting to provide broader context or highlighting positive examples. This skewed representation can further solidify negative stereotypes in the public consciousness.

So remember …

One person within any group cannot be accurately represented by a single stereotype.

On this thread there is a general acceptance of negative qualities to entire groups which  is unfair, inaccurate, and harmful.

Focusing on cause rather than association and avoiding generalizations is crucial for to understanding and combating prejudice and understanding road safety.

Instead of resorting to harmful stereotypes, one needs to learn how to challenge one’s own biases and be aware of how they influence our perceptions.

Learn how to RESEARCH not SEARCH to seek out real perspectives and information in order to broaden our understanding.

Don’t tar all motorists with one brush and truly understand why human error is and how it is a constant on ALL roads everywhere.

I did not say that Thais are stupid, and you should stop calling people racist

34 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Why is it that people think that just because they drive or have driven somewhere they consider themselves to be in a position to comment of road safety?

BTW - I have driven in Edmonton, Alberta and Vancouver BC, as well as Washington, Oregon and California.

I've also driven in Australia, Morocco, Italy, Spain, Portugal Germany, France Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg Austria

I've driven FURTHER than you in Thailand and also in Laos and Malaysia. but that doesn't make be an expert of road safety - it is the analysis I get from critically thinking about road safety and working in a traffic engineers department that helps most.

People are incapable of interpreting what they see - what they call "experience" is in reality just an accumulation of bad habits backed up by confirmation bias and a liberal dose of cognitive dissonance.

I get the feeling you could be a little too tightly wound up to be driving. I suggest before getting behind the wheel of your vehicle on your next trip, smoke a little weed, relax, I guarantee life will be more enjoyable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Another thing they do is resort to sealioning.

I have no idea what that means,  sounds like a woke word to me .  look pal it's obvious from your incoherent ramblings that you are seriously in need of help.  I'll leave it at that 

55 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You are making a fool of yourself  its sad to see   you need to stop

15 minutes ago, rct99q said:

I get the feeling you could be a little too tightly wound up to be driving. I suggest before getting behind the wheel of your vehicle on your next trip, smoke a little weed, relax, I guarantee life will be more enjoyable.

He should never be allowed behind the wheel of anything   jesus I know its 11pm on a saturday night , but words fail me 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I have no idea what that means,  sounds like a woke word to me .  look pal it's obvious from your incoherent ramblings that you are seriously in need of help.  I'll leave it at that 

"Disingenuous questions in an attempt to engage in unwanted debate as a form of harassment.” 

I had to look it up

15 minutes ago, rct99q said:

"Disingenuous questions in an attempt to engage in unwanted debate as a form of harassment.” 

I had to look it up

Thanks for the info, i really had no idea, another one i've heard is "gaslighting" again i've no idea but don't bother looking it up, unless you want to, in which case feel free to tell me , otherwise  i'll suss it out one day myself, who makes this stuff up anyway, I always thought it was angst ridden teenage girls on "facetube" or "tik tok" Strange for a "traffic exspurt" to be using such language.  I gave him a perfectly logical explanation regarding why things are the way they are here, and for some reason he just seems to have lost it, His opening response was to call me a racist, and  I doubt he'll let things lie,