Neighbor's(?) Dogs In Our Yard

Earlier today found two dogs in our yard. Mixed Rottweilers, by their looks - not super big, but quite ferocious and not small either. Our elderly female dog is a little smaller, not as aggressive, and was mercifully sleeping so was easy to evacuate indoors. Chased them away (at the time I thought just one) with a bamboo stick, figuring they either found a hole in the wire fence or dug under. Ended up with the duo cornered and nowhere to go, which is when they turned more hostile. Hit one of them in the ear, drawing some blood, and them escaping when I went to get better gear. Found two possible entry points, fixed. Hopefully will keep them out.

My question is, what can am I legally (I know....) allowed to do in such a situation?

I'm not even sure who's dogs they are - two possible neighbors, each basically a field away, only one got an actual 'border' with us.

Dogs in the village often run loose, but usually stick around their turf, and the more aggressive ones are muzzled (two that I'm aware of near us). Never had much of an issue walking the dog at night on the street, and not planning on campaigning to teach people better regarding dogs running around.

Just wondering if different rules apply (or if there are such, at all) regarding aggressive dogs coming into our land.

Edited by Morch

11 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

You can also try something like this.

https://www.weekand.com/home-garden/article/make-pepperbased-critter-repellent-gardens-18033433.php

Commercial options available in HomePro.

Thanks, but the two fields bordering us (from which the dogs presumably entered) are flooded regularly. Plus our girl will probably object....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jvs said:

Built a good fence?

32 minutes ago, connda said:

Build a fence.

There's a good wire fence + concrete wall in some parts.

The suspected entry points were either a part where the bottom soil was eroded due to flooding and they dug/slunk under or a hole created when 'someone' cut it by accident while taking care of the grass. Both fixed now, and no such issues for the last 3 years.

Also, when the dogs were cornered, the one I previously hit (well, he was trying to have a go) panicked and tried to bash/bite the fence - no success.

Keeping them out is obvious, my question is more about my 'rights' if they do manage to come in and if they pose a threat.

Edited by Morch

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

There's a good wire fence + concrete wall in some parts.

The suspected entry points were either a part where the bottom soil was eroded due to flooding and they dug/slunk under or a hole created when 'someone' cut it by accident while taking care of the grass. Both fixed now, and no such issues for the last 3 years.

Also, when the dogs were cornered, the one I previously hit (well, he was trying to have a go) panicked and tried to bash/bite the fence - no success.

Keeping them out is obvious, my question is more about my 'rights' if they do manage to come in and if they pose a threat.

First of all when a dog comes in grab a camera before you grab a stick.

Chances are when you tell some one"hey your dog"

Answer"not my dog"

So you need proof,if you do have proof you can go the the dogs owner or the police and claim compensation for the damage they have caused.

If the owner has to pay a lot there is a good chance the dogs disappear.

If they would attack you inside  your fence you can kill them without worry.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

First of all when a dog comes in grab a camera before you grab a stick.

Chances are when you tell some one"hey your dog"

Answer"not my dog"

So you need proof,if you do have proof you can go the the dogs owner or the police and claim compensation for the damage they have caused.

If the owner has to pay a lot there is a good chance the dogs disappear.

If they would attack you inside  your fence you can kill them without worry.

You are right about the camera, wasn't thinking straight, didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. Thanks.

Was more angry/worried about our girl possibly hurt, didn't realize I could get hurt until I saw there were two of them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

You are right about the camera, wasn't thinking straight, didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. Thanks.

Was more angry/worried about our girl possibly hurt, didn't realize I could get hurt until I saw there were two of them.

Never corner an animal!Walk away and go inside if you do not trust it.

But i can understand your concern.

If they were in my yard and I believed they posed any threat whatsoever to me, my family (including my dog) or my property then they would never leave my yard. I'd give them every chance to foxtrot oscar, but a dog owner who lets them roam around without any care of what they are up to is hardly likely to be someone you could negotiate / compromise with. I just wouldn't waste my time.

Edited by Woof999
Wrote "lets" as "let's". Bugs me when others do it so why should I get a pass ;)
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Don't need a shovel for this one

image.png.c4b4ca4832bb4a4f3b34aabcc5f33c9a.png

Dunno, looks primitive to me, with a crossbow I could shoot a razor bolt through their balls, if I was in a compassionate mood.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, djayz said:

Whatever you do, it will have to be very, very discreet... 

They haven't been back, and I haven't even seen them on walks with the dog. Maybe it was a one-off.

There's a new invader, though, a white cat (nor Persian, but nice looking). Dog is having a ball chasing it around, good exercise.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

They haven't been back, and I haven't even seen them on walks with the dog. Maybe it was a one-off.

There's a new invader, though, a white cat (nor Persian, but nice looking). Dog is having a ball chasing it around, good exercise.

😂 Good luck keeping cats out 😂

Just now, djayz said:

😂 Good luck keeping cats out 😂

Oh, that's the dog's job. Three years now, and none lingered.

She's old, fat and a cutey, but her vicious monster side gets out when she sees one.